Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thespeakerbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
I was all set to buy an MBA this weekend, but when I walked into the store to test drive, i noticed a big difference between the pro screens and the mba screens. Do you think they will be upgrading the screens anytime in the near future?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't think they can ever put the type of displays in the MBA's because of thermal issues, but they obviously will be improving the displays every release. The last update was in January, so expect and update in October/November of this year (if anything).

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I don't think they can ever put the type of displays in the MBA's because of thermal issues, but they obviously will be improving the displays every release. The last update was in January, so expect and update in October/November of this year (if anything).

thermal issues? please explain

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Are you referring to having Apple add the glass covered screen from the MBP line to the MBA? One thing that you can do to make the screen more "poppy" is to convert the gamma to 2.2 from the default 1.8 -- this simple change makes a huge difference. The glass covered screen would require a complete redesign of the hinges and keyboard offset and would add extraneous weight (requiring the hinge redesign -- not that more robust hinges wouldn't be welcome).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Are you referring to having Apple add the glass covered screen from the MBP line to the MBA? One thing that you can do to make the screen more "poppy" is to convert the gamma to 2.2 from the default 1.8 -- this simple change makes a huge difference. The glass covered screen would require a complete redesign of the hinges and keyboard offset and would add extraneous weight (requiring the hinge redesign -- not that more robust hinges wouldn't be welcome).

I agree, most people will be a lot happier with the 2.2 setting. It makes a huge difference, and makes it seem more similar to MBP displays.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
The current screen is better. It is the kind of glossy without irritating gloss. Apple made a huge mistake by covering their laptops with glass making it extremely hard to use outdoors and in some rooms such as class rooms.

I only love the glass on the iMacs and I am sure that the MBA will never have that kind of screen any time in the near or far future. Why? Mainly due to the huge weight increase.

As for pixels, I do not see Apple increasing the pixels on this baby when the 13" MBP has the same pixels.

Just calibrate the colors of the MBA's screen and you will be more than happy :)

thespeakerbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Are the MBA screens the same quality as the MBPs , just without the glass, or are they just like the macbook screens?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Are the MBA screens the same quality as the MBPs , just without the glass, or are they just like the macbook screens?

My impression has been that they made the screens on the 13" MBP comparable with those on the MBA. I could be wrong as I have not played around with the 13" MBPs since they came out. I do recall the blacks on the original unibody MBs being very blue rather than black in comparison to the MBAs and 15" MBPs at the time I was looking at them vs. the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.