Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Woooww :eek: My 2G iPhone was seriously scratched up after 2 years of abuse :p and I just did this trick to it and it looks really nice!

Key is patience and drawing the curved edges onto the tape and then cutting it in order to get it almost perfect. Although.. I don't see myself doing it to my upcoming 3GS

Thanks for the tip

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I did this to my first gen iPhone and my current 3G - but only after the chrome got so scuffed up I couldn't stand the look of it any more, lol.
I'll probably go through the same scenario when I get my 3GS(OCD can be a b!tch :D)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Ferris23 said:
I did this to my 2 day old mint Black 32 3GS. I'm
sick of the mirrored chrome and think this satin brushed finish looks slick.

Me too. I did it to my brand new 32GB 3GS on the very first day, IIRC ...

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I just brushed the volume button, vibrate button and sleep/wake button as well. I gotta say this looks absolutley beautiful. I am so impressed with how this turned out. Now anytime I get a small scratch on the bezel, take a sponge to it and good as new.

Seriously, I love the Iphone, I love the design. But the satin brushed aluminum look is MUCH nicer than the bling shiny chrome to my eye.

All it took was some tape and a scotch brite sponge. For those interested, the sponge works better than the 1500 grit sand paper I used.

I am so impressed with this mod. The key is take your time, don't be afraid of it and keep uniform strokes. If you do it and it doesn't look good, just keep doing it until it does. lol

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Here are some terrible useless pics taken with my crappy Motorola work phone.

:D

3807303319_0964f9a7dc.jpg

3807303279_5e8fb95c58.jpg

Pics do not do this mod justice, in person it is pure sexy.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
That looks REALLY good! You did a great job! I wish Apple'd gone with a brushed-metal look instead of the chrome to begin with.

ETA: Lol, just noticed the original message date. Still looks damn good, though. :)

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
I just found this thread. That is crazy that it is 3 years old.

Anyway, these phones look amazing and I will definitely be doing this to my
3GS. I'm a little nervous but I have yet to see any horror stories with this mod. Looks great!

I HATE the chrome bezel on the iPhone.

nezff

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
you could use one of those nail sponges, that women use for their finger nails.
i have used toothepaste also as a polishing agent.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The two images in the OP of this thread illustrate the results perfectly, for anyone undecided, as to how it would turn out. :cool:

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
That looks really good. I was thinking of buying one of the dark (almost black) chrome bezels on eBay, and maybe another original one to try this.

I wouldn't do this to my original at least until warranty ran out.

But really I think it looks amazing

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Suggestion - I might use duct tape instead of electrical tape, because duct tape is stronger/thicker and may protect better?

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
must say some of these mods look superb.

however i have my phone in a case because my 3G for scratched too much on the back plastic, which cant be "brushed" to look nice again.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
anyone get any guff when trying to get their phone serviced by applecare? Looking into this but not wanting to lose warranty.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have to put up pics of my old first gen before I sold. bezel was brushed and back polished. Could see yourself in it like a mirror.

3GS is staying covered up

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I have to put up pics of my old first gen before I sold. bezel was brushed and back polished. Could see yourself in it like a mirror.

3GS is staying covered up
A polished aluminium back on a first-gen? I'd love to see that. I still like the first-gen's form factor better(headphone jack and plastic grill, switch & buttons excepted).

SWANGATANG

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
hey guys im pretty new - just joined this forum today :D
I joined because I came across this thread and i was interested i was driven to sign up and see pictures. After about ehhhh maybe a good 30 minutes of reading through this i scrambled around the house looking for the supplies needed (electrical tape, a new "SCOTCH BRITE" sponge, and some patience). I thought i would try this on the bottom in case i **** **** up..
I started by:
1. Masked over the home bottom area right across the home button and another piece on the backside. (TIP: i didnt use electrical tape, i used the painters masking tape like the green kind i dont think it matters because u wouldnt scrub THAT hard till it rips at least i didnt, and dont worry about the corners until the end)

2. I got the sponge and went lighty using medium force like touching it and move my hand back and forth and try to keep a straight line or angle or else u got owned.. scrub until you like what you see

3. remove the tape and check it out.. if you were interested in this thing in the first place u will jizz in ur pants after u rip off the tape LOL

4. (if u dont think its good enough u can free hand it - dont worry u wont ruin it or anything as long as you dont angle it so much that parts of the sponge will touch the screen) repeat steps 2 -3 for 3 other sides

5. once you have all the flat/straight sides done here comes the part where when you are done u feel like the michael angelo or something :D you have to free hand the corners :eek: now like i said earlier start with a corner of the bottom in case u mess up. as you go from side of the corner tilt your hand so u follow the curves and do that until your expectations are met or it matches the sides. do that for all the other corners

6. YOUR DONE!!! look at that, pretty nuts yea? u feel like telling ur friends u can get them a cool bezel for a cheap price of 20 bucks LOL

With all the time and how picky i was i think it took a good 40 minutes but that was because i kept touching up basically nothing haha.
its the coolest, easiest mod for iphone you will ever see!
Props to MeekB2G for the fantastic idea!!!!

Additional information: I did this on a visibly used iPhone 3G with ******** of dings and scratches on the bezel

I have a question for all if it could be answered: For whoever has had a silicone or rubber case on their iPhone/iTouch have you guys seen these basically spots/scuff marks/friction marks from a case.. it really ruins the device cosmetically because i cannot get this **** out and it looks ugly as **** it looks dirty or something. if anyone can relate, shout out or tell me how to get this out.

If you wanna see pictures tell me..

cheers,
SWANGATANG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.