Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
are you serious??

It's plastic - "chrome-look" plastic - it's not going to rust - ever!

Don't be so sure. It most certainly is metal at least on the outside. Last I checked 'chrome-look' plastic doesn't conduct electricity but the chrome bezel does. Also look at the original Will It Blend iPhone video, the only thing that survives is a mangled chrome bezel.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Don't be so sure. It most certainly is metal at least on the outside. Last I checked 'chrome-look' plastic doesn't conduct electricity but the chrome bezel does. Also look at the original Will It Blend iPhone video, the only thing that survives is a mangled chrome bezel.

Looks like ElBerserko is right:
http://www.intoiphone.com/2008/07/14/iphone-3g-isnt-plastic-zirconia-ceramic-casing.html

And it looks like the back may not be plastic....but that begs the question whats up w/ the cracks ppl are getting around the headphone jacks?

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Jobso said in the keynote that the back was plastic. Unless it was a last min change to ceramic. But i think the chrome bezel is metal because it is much colder to the touch than the rear of the phone.

gkerr4

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
Hmmm - i might have to eat my words - I take it all back.

Just watched the "will it blend" video for the original iPhone - it certainly does appear that the bezel is metal!

I have to say though - I dropped my v1 iPhone a few weeks back onto tarmac as I was getting out of my car - it landed on the top left corner bezel part and made a couple of chips out of it - it definately looks like "chrome-look" plastic on mine. It has that grey plasticcy feel and look to the chips - i just couldn't see it being metal

but it sure does look like metal from the blender!

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Ok guys, it looks awesome and I want to do it. But I think we have a different situation with the 3G model than we had with the V1, and that is that the bezel is used as an antenna.

From the Apple website:

iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself. And intelligent iPhone power management technology gives you up to 5 hours of talk time over 3G networks.

Is messing with the bezel gonna mess up the reception at all?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Ok guys, it looks awesome and I want to do it. But I think we have a different situation with the 3G model than we had with the V1, and that is that the bezel is used as an antenna.

From the Apple website:

Wow... Hmmm... I don't think it should mess anything up, although it is very interesting.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON

From the Apple website:

Hmm ... I wonder if cases that cover all the metal stuff messes up reception.

(I got this plastic belkin case that I don't really like...)

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO
has anyone else done this to there 3G? i am curious to see if it really does affect signal.

i would assume it doesnt cause its just scruffing the metal. which should have no affect as to grabing a signal.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
has anyone else done this to there 3G? i am curious to see if it really does affect signal.

i would assume it doesnt cause its just scruffing the metal. which should have no affect as to grabing a signal.

i dont think that you will get a straight answer... reception (especially 3G) has been so faulty that you would not have a control to compare it to

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Sorry to bring up old news, but just did it with my aging first gen.

I used 400grit, but it's definitely not completely smooth like others on here (but better than before, mine had gouges and burs from dropage). I'd probably try and stay above 600 or use 1500 like one poster did.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Anyone who has done this a while ago have the finish get screwed up or something like that after all this time?

I did it a long time ago and nothing gets screwed up. At worst after months in your pocket and throwing it around the bezel brushed look can look less uniform with scratches not all going the same direction..if that makes sense. All you do is bust out the paper again and redo it. Takes 5 mins.

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Does it void the warranty?

I doubt it. You can just tell Apple it got "scratched". With fine sandpaper in specific areas, of course! :D

Anyway, has anyone tried it with 500? That's the highest I could find at Lowe's and Home Depot, I think. Where do you get the higher grits? Thanks!

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
^^ When I did this to my Gen 1 iPhone, I used one of those green scrub pads--you know, what you use to scrub pots & pans....worked great

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I doubt it. You can just tell Apple it got "scratched". With fine sandpaper in specific areas, of course! :D

Anyway, has anyone tried it with 500? That's the highest I could find at Lowe's and Home Depot, I think. Where do you get the higher grits? Thanks!

An auto parts store. I got some 2000 there.

PLamarine

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Central MA
Just performed this "mod" on my 1 month old 3GS since the bezel got scratched up already (doesn't take much). Looks great, and the electrical tape is a must. Follow the instructions in the Youtube video posted in this thread.

Anyone else try this on a 3GS?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I did this to my 2 day old mint Black 32 3GS. I'm
sick of the mirrored chrome and think this satin brushed finish looks slick.

Alexwithad

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
USA
I'm going to have to try this, my chrome is all scratchy in some spots. Although the shiny reflective chrome matches my mirrored screen protector really nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.