Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucas111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Hi All,

So I just got Snow Leopard in the mail, and I must say its all going pretty well so far. Except that the program Afloat isn't Snow Leopard compatible.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative program that has the same/similar functionality to Afloat but is compatible with Snow Leopard?

I just want to be able to keep a Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 window floating above all over windows.

Thanks in advance!

realfx

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Niether, was posting in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.
Have you found anything.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Mercury Mover?

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be anything on the developer's web site about SL compatibility and the last blog entry was from March. And unlike Afloat, it costs ... $20. Maybe not a good alternative.

mt

JustinG87

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've emailed the guy behind Afloat, and he seems intent on making it available for 10.6. May take a bit, but I'm willing to wait. It's a good program.

siphyn87

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Cleveland, OH
This is very odd that he says it isn't compatible with snow leopard. I ran afloat in leopard and when I upgraded to snow leopard my afloat continues to work just fine. I did however have to disable plugsuit to avoid errors that plugsuit would produce, but even with plugsuit disabled afloat continues to work just fine so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Maybe just try installing afloat anyway and see if it works, either that or maybe I'm just one of the few that have it working on SL.

Marecki

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
This is very odd that he says it isn't compatible with snow leopard. I ran afloat in leopard and when I upgraded to snow leopard my afloat continues to work just fine. I did however have to disable plugsuit to avoid errors that plugsuit would produce, but even with plugsuit disabled afloat continues to work just fine so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Maybe just try installing afloat anyway and see if it works, either that or maybe I'm just one of the few that have it working on SL.

Same here. Afloat 2.1.1 works without a hassle out-of-the-box after upgrade to SL.

jwlondon

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
I'm running Snow Leopard v10.6.6 - Afloat works fine with Quicktime 10 and Google Chrome but not Firefox 4

c.breeze

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
I would really like to see Afloat play nice with Adium. That was the main use I had for Afloat, turning my chat window opaque when not in use... Is there really no alternative to Afloat for Lion OSX?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.