Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ZDnet reports that Microsoft has delayed Virtual PC 7 for the Mac.

Initially, our development and testing time line was estimated based on our experience with development of Office," Microsoft product manager Jessica Sommer said in a statement. "The developing, testing and bug fix cycle with Virtual PC is longer than that of Office and the testing more vigorous than previous version(s) of Virtual PC. Because of this, we have adjusted our release timing to match a more realistic schedule."

The new version of Virtual PC is now expected in the second half of the year, rather than the first. Version 7 will bring PowerPC G5 support. Previous versions are incompatible with the PowerMac G5s.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
It better be fast.

And it better provide Real *hardware* video acceleration. No more crummy Software acceleration.

Microsoft you better do it right if your going to delay it! :mad:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
MacBidioulle (sp?) believes that it will be able to control video cards and therefore be able to play PC games... How awesome would that be?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
What, and it hadn't been delayed enough already?

It had *BETTER* be able to play games and work with the video card...and be fast...

If the only enhancement is G5 compatibilty, we'd be better off just downloading Bochs for $30 and running it on the G5...

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Chaszmyr said:
MacBidioulle (sp?) believes that it will be able to control video cards and therefore be able to play PC games... How awesome would that be?

This would be really great. Although they said they couldn't test it because it was too unstable. But perhaps I will be able to play quite old games like Day of Defeat with a Rev B. Power Mac and VPC 7. I hope so!

JonYo

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2004
SF Bay area, CA
What?

advocate said:
Yet another reason I won't be buying a PowerMac G5 this summer. Sigh.

Uhhhh, what? If the only reason you want a G5 is to run VPC really fast and run PC applications...why not just buy a PC? If that's NOT all you would do with a G5, why NOT buy one this late-spring/early-summer when revB G5s arrive (hopefully)?

Regardless of the video performance of the next update of VPC on G5s, anyone who likes to stay in the Mac world for most apps, but still likes PC gaming a lot, ought to just have both a Mac and a PC. PC gaming-related HW upgrade cycles (high end video cards, controllers, etc) happen so fast, that it's futile to rely on VPC performance via software updates to constantly keep up with that in terms of compatability. The Mac-native game market is so tiny in comparison to the PC game market, that it doesn't even register on the radar.

Video games interest me about as much as watching paint dry, but that's just me.

My guess: A new VPC update will be released for G5 comatability before the next rev G5 desktops make it to end users. (Not the "possibily imminent" revB G5 anouncement mind you, I mean when actual shipments start reaching customers) I doubt this update will do much more than bring G5 compatability. I think the extreme video performance boost that would be brought on by having Windows able to access the video card directly will take longer to work out, if they're really trying to do that.

- JonYo

derboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
UK
As if microsoft could give a sh*t about the release date. The fact that they are trying to fix bugs before release says it all. - And any optimisation will be when exactly??

Could this project be slowed down any further. To actually buy out connectix is proof enough that they dont want any kind of comparison of window on a mac over a pc, to be available.

What a joke. - bothered

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm surprised how little I need to run anything in Windows. In the last year I have needed that ZERO times other than testing a page of my creation in Windows Internet Explorer. And my whole business is creating multimedia for Windows customers. Now that Director for Mac exports Windows apps, I may never have much need of Windows again.

I must not be alone, because I'm surprised there hasn't been more vocal protest over the past year that G5s can't yet run Windows. Necessary for some of course, but I'm surprised how few people truly need it.

There really are good Mac alternatives for most people.

I still may upgrade my copy of VPC "just in case"--if the next version is good enough. MBU has done some good work in the past, after all.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
virividox said:
they are adding vulnerabilites that all windoze boxes suffer from

I heard they are also working on a way cause a systemwide OSX crash from within VPC... they are still working day and night on that. They are said to have an OSX version of the Blue Screen of Death in Beta testing.

I can't wait!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
JonYo said:
ought to just have both a Mac and a PC. PC gaming-related HW upgrade cycles (high end video cards, controllers, etc) happen so fast,

Ya right. Some of us don't have the room for two desktops and two monitors. :rolleyes:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
derboy said:
As if microsoft could give a sh*t about the release date. The fact that they are trying to fix bugs before release says it all. - And any optimisation will be when exactly??

Could this project be slowed down any further. To actually buy out connectix is proof enough that they dont want any kind of comparison of window on a mac over a pc, to be available.

What a joke. - bothered

The fact is, if the new VPC *can* actually take advantage of your video card, making it possible to run programs faster and play PC games, MS will sell tons of Office/VPC/XP software to Mac users. You'd better believe that MS would love to have a copy of XP installed on every Mac possibe.

They also know that Mac users will be super-critical of the new VPC. If there are any major flaws, it will be a disaster. They're better off making sure it works properly before releasing it.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
iMeowbot said:
Look here and here, and use your imagination on the PC placement. Very cool stuff.

Yes and have you ever tried VNC with games? Can you say refresh rate hell? Beyond that what happens when I take my G5 17" PowerBook ;) Somewhere where I want to access MapPoint, MS Access, Encarta.

derboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
UK
The fact is, if the new VPC *can* actually take advantage of your video card, making it possible to run programs faster and play PC games, MS will sell tons of Office/VPC/XP software to Mac users. You'd better believe that MS would love to have a copy of XP installed on every Mac possibe.

They also know that Mac users will be super-critical of the new VPC. If there are any major flaws, it will be a disaster. They're better off making sure it works properly before releasing it.

Today 11:09 PM

Sorry, if that was true vpc would have been released ages ago. For one of the biggest multinational companies not having developed this project is pathetic. They have not given it the resources because its too risky to do and there are too many conflicts at board level.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Ya right. Some of us don't have the room for two desktops and two monitors. :rolleyes:

If i was to get a PC to compliment my mac, I would buy a case from here and use a monitor with dual inputs... another reason not to buy an Apple Studio Display. I would Remote Desktop Connection for most of my windows needs, or just switch the video inputs. You could use a USB switch box to switch your mouse and keyboard from the mac to the PC...

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Before I got my first mac, I was very concerned about the availability and performance of VPC and other apps that let you run Windows on a mac. Then I got my powerbook. I don't have a desire for VPC anymore, it's as simple as that.

mchambe1

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2004
Ithaca, NY
Terrific

Now I'm really at odds for making a decision. I am a Mac user who has had to maintain a Dell PC for two years because one of my clients is obsessed with the "if you get hit by a train I need to be able to take over" theory regarding his web site, which I "have" to maintain in FrontPage - please, don't laught too hard. Just recently I told him that I would be dropping the PC soon and that I was either going to use Dreamweaver for the site or get VPC and install FrontPage on my Mac. My main question is how will FrontPage work in VPC (anyone with experience?)? The other dilemnia is whether or not to wait for VPC 7? I use both a new Powerbook and an iMac with 1.25Ghz procs. Thanks for any advice!

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
mchambe1 said:
The other dilemnia is whether or not to wait for VPC 7? I use both a new Powerbook and an iMac with 1.25Ghz procs. Thanks for any advice!

If you purchase Office Professional (the version which comes with VPC) now, then you are entitlted to a free upgrade to Office Pro 2004 -- which will include VPC 7.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
mchambe1 said:
My main question is how will FrontPage work in VPC (anyone with experience?)? The other dilemnia is whether or not to wait for VPC 7? I use both a new Powerbook and an iMac with 1.25Ghz procs. Thanks for any advice!

I attended a FrontPage 2002 training session and borrowed a 300MHz PII laptop with 64MB RAM. It was definately useable. My understanding is that most modern Macs would emulate a PC with at LEAST those specs, so you should be fine.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I can't believe some people have given this a negative rating. Its either a delay, or they release a buggy software. We know that MS would actually do that, so lets just wait for the better version. ;) If they're actually making it better than ever before, then props to them.

I just think that there are people here who are waaaay to anti-Microsoft. Microsoft is a software company....it ain't personal. It didn't try to steal your babies or something. How can you talk crap about a product that hasn't even been released yet, especially when they're trying to make it better and admit that there are issues with it right now. I'd rather they admit it now than later after I spend money on the frickin thing.

MrMacman said:
It better be fast.

And it better provide Real *hardware* video acceleration. No more crummy Software acceleration.

Microsoft you better do it right if your going to delay it! :mad:

Did the company that made it before (forgot the company's name) "do it right"? I don't believe so. MS could only make it better at this point. If they make it able to handle graphics better, I'd be happy.

Mmmmm, I smell burnt toast.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.