Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grfelix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Hi,

I dont want my imac to ask me for my username and password everytime I turn on my imac, what can I do??

And also, I noticed that everytime I open mail.app, it asks me for my password again!.. what can I do to not be asked for my username and password??

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Take a look in System Preferences/Accounts, and click on 'Login Options' at the bottom of the little side panel on the left. One of the options that will appear is 'Automatic login' – just select your user account from the pop up menu and you should be set to automatically log into your account whenever you start your Mac up in the future.

jakeopolis

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
hi all,

i'm bumping this thread because i have a related question:

my computer has 2 users, so we want to disable automatic login. however, we don't want to have to use our passwords to login each time. how can i disable automatic login while also enabling password-free login?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
hi all,

i'm bumping this thread because i have a related question:

my computer has 2 users, so we want to disable automatic login. however, we don't want to have to use our passwords to login each time. how can i disable automatic login while also enabling password-free login?

You can remove the passwords for each user. CLick change password and leave the new one blank. Not a recommended thing to so.

jakeopolis

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
You can remove the passwords for each user. CLick change password and leave the new one blank. Not a recommended thing to so.

yeah that seems pretty unsafe. is there no way to maintain an admin password but not require a password at login?

cycleswithin

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
yeah that seems pretty unsafe. is there no way to maintain an admin password but not require a password at login?

Further to this, I just wanted to know what threat this would open the computer up to if no account had a password? Would it be under threat from external sources over the internet, or if someone managed to get on our wifi network? Or would it just be unsecure to someone physcially sitting in front of the computer?

What we want to do is set up 4 user accounts for each person in the household but not bother with having to enter our password every time we want to login to our space on the computer. Our old family computer was a PC running Windows XP and this scenario was working quite well. Any tips?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Further to this, I just wanted to know what threat this would open the computer up to if no account had a password? Would it be under threat from external sources over the internet, or if someone managed to get on our wifi network? Or would it just be unsecure to someone physcially sitting in front of the computer?

You would be open to many threats, including external ones and from others on your network. Always setup a password on accounts.

lorradan

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2009
I did as instructed and I can now login automatically without entering my password. Thank you.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I did as instructed and I can now login automatically without entering my password. Thank you.

Normally, when I set up a Mac without a password, I make that user a "standard" user and create an Admin user with a password. This is a multi step process.

1. Create a new user
  2. Make the new user an admin user
  3. log in as the new user
  4. make the previous user a "standard" non-admin user
  5. remove the non-admin user's password
  6. in system preferences, make the "standard" user "auto login"

This prevents somebody from walking up and making admin changes without a password but my "standard" user can work "all day" without bothering with a password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.