Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Anyone else experience this? My installation seems to crash quite frequently, for no apparent reason. :confused:

David2070

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
UK
Yeah, I have the same problem. I'm not sure what the problem is, but its definately not as stable as it was under Leopard.

UpWorks

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
I have had to stop using Netbeans all together. It literally drains the CPU. If you type a dollar sign ($) in your code it lags for up to 10-15 secs before allowing you to continue.

I am running on a MacBook Pro (new one) with 4 gig of memory and I have the k64 enabled to 64 bit and it still is a dog. I hope it gets patched soon, I am not a fan of going back to Dreamweaver.

psaint

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Dublin
New Java version?

I don't experience slowdowns but it can crash quite unexpectedly. Snow Leopard is shipping with new version of Java which I'd suspect does not play well on OS X or Netbeans itself got issue with it.

Alan S

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
California
Java 1.6 only on Snow Leopard??

So is it true that Snow Leopard only runs with Java 1.6, and will uninstall a Java 1.5 JRE if it finds it.

Maybe, NetBeans requires something in Java 1.5.

I'm speculating but the only thing that comes to mind is the "swing-layout-1.0.3.jar" which had some Swing Layout classes (not included in 1.5) that became standard with a different package name in Java 1.6.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I switched to Eclipse because of the problems. It seems to be running a lot better now.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I ended up switching to Eclipse as well - and not regretting my decision. Sure, NetBeans is nice, but when it's THAT unstable it's not really usable.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Did you follow the instructions on that site? I just took a glance and it looks like there are steps to get java 5 on your snow leopard system.

-Lee
I didn't even look at the site in question, I simply posted based on what's included in SL.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I have 6.7.1 running on 10.6.1 without issues. No slowdowns at all and almost no processor usage.

Anyway, Eclipse for the win! ;)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I have 6.7.1 running on 10.6.1 without issues. No slowdowns at all and almost no processor usage.

I certainly don't have any issues and that is with just about all of the Java plugins installed. I wouldn't say there was no processor usage though and the RAM consumption seems to be through the roof.

Still no crashes which is something I guess, and Netbeans is a far nicer IDE than Eclipse if you ask me (*no flames intended*).

bjohnosn

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
That doesn't work on Snow Leopard, as the Java 5 JRE/JDK is just a symbolic link to JRE/JDK 6.

If you look at the link in the post it explains how to install jvm 1.5 and even 1.4 if you like. Maybe my post was a little too terse. After doing so netbeans became much more stable. I still have unexpected closing but it is now functional for me.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've got good news, and bad news along these lines. The good news: NetBeans 6.8 is coming soon. The bad news: It looks like this release has some of the same issues 6.7.1 had on Mac OS X :(

tercerojista

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
We were able to get Netbeans more stable on Snow Leopard by following the steps here http://chxor.chxo.com/post/183013153/installing-java-1-5-on-snow-leopard and then changing either the netbeans.conf file or changing Java Preferences to prefer java 5 over 6 for applications.

Apologies for being noobish, but where do I find netbeans.conf?! Everything I read just refers to this file as if I should know where it is, but I don't have a clue... :(

NetBeans 6.7.1 is quite temperamental for me now with Snow Leopard.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Apologies for being noobish, but where do I find netbeans.conf?! Everything I read just refers to this file as if I should know where it is, but I don't have a clue... :(

NetBeans 6.7.1 is quite temperamental for me now with Snow Leopard.
It's located inside the NetBeans application bundle, I believe. Right-click on NetBeans.app, choose Show Package Contents, drill down into Contents -> Resources, it's in there.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thats a shame about Netbeans. I use it all the time for class as an alternative to visual studio. (Don't get me wrong I love VS but...I have a mac not a win machine and dont care to go back to windows.)

Hopefully everything gets fixed soon.

asafm

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
PermSize increase fixed it

Hi guys,

I solved that problem by increasing the values for MaxPermSize and Permsize option in netbeans.conf:

netbeans_default_options="-J-Dorg.netbeans.modules.tomcat.autoregister.token=1252227984581 -J-Dorg.netbeans.modules.tomcat.autoregister.catalinaHome=\"/home/asaf/apache-tomcat-6.0.18\" -J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:permSize=512m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -J-Xverify:none -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true"

My java is 1.6.0_12

squix

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
Hi guys,

I solved that problem by increasing the values for MaxPermSize and Permsize option in netbeans.conf:

netbeans_default_options="-J-Dorg.netbeans.modules.tomcat.autoregister.token=1252227984581 -J-Dorg.netbeans.modules.tomcat.autoregister.catalinaHome=\"/home/asaf/apache-tomcat-6.0.18\" -J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:permSize=512m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -J-Xverify:none -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true"

My java is 1.6.0_12

this seems to work - I increased the values to 256 and 512:
PermSize=256m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

squix

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
update on the previous two posts:
no, increasing the memory as recommended in the previous two posts just causes that the crash comes later so, unfortunately, it is not a solution :(

btw. 6.8rc1 comes still with this bug.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.