Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
I've tried the original method posted by the OP as well as KingYaba's alternate way and despite several (maybe up to 10) reboots, my 'Get Info' dialogue for my NTFS volume still says "read only"

:(

waiting on a script or something here that hopefully gets right what i keep getting wrong, because i'm following everything by the book.

would this require a USB plug-out/plug-back-in or something?

i really want this to work because Paragon/MacFUSE are not preferable. they stick to the bottom of the OS like nasty gum on your shoe, and it's just gunky crap.

chavanak

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
On Earth?
You're missing an s?

That was a typo here :( I have double checked the fstab file and it is correct. The automount is not able to find the path to mount the filesystem. I wonder what I am supposed to do :(
Also I had installed ntfs-3g, when I remove this even my FAT file system will not mount :(

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
I've tried the original method posted by the OP as well as KingYaba's alternate way and despite several (maybe up to 10) reboots, my 'Get Info' dialogue for my NTFS volume still says "read only"

:(

waiting on a script or something here that hopefully gets right what i keep getting wrong, because i'm following everything by the book.

would this require a USB plug-out/plug-back-in or something?

i really want this to work because Paragon/MacFUSE are not preferable. they stick to the bottom of the OS like nasty gum on your shoe, and it's just gunky crap.

Same with me, I've tried it twice and I can't get it to work. Anyone got it running with 10.6.1 (maybe Apple "fixed" it).

edit
3rd times a charm, just tried it again and it worked.

ede3

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Thanks so much Chrysaor! It worked perfectly for me on a WD Passport USB external HDD.

prp8683

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

Works like a charm, but the reboot is not required. All you need to do is unmount and remount the volume. You can do this from Disk Utility, or if the disk is external, by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. (Be sure to eject the disk before unplugging it...)

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for the tip about simply ejecting and unplugging instead of doing a reboot. That makes it easier to diagnose the problem.

Unfortunately, doing this again didn't enable write support. Could it be a compatibility issue? Like does this trick not work with WD MyBook's or something? Or it should just work across any device?

Also, would manually deleting the fstab and fstab.hd files from the /etc folder make a difference? Perhaps trying it from scratch, saving a new file in the editor app?

Any help would really be appreciated, as well as perhaps a custom pref-pane or plug-in or something :)

iBlacky

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
Rename the original /sbin/mount_ntfs tool:

sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig

Create a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@“

save the script to /sbin/mount_ntfs

sudo chown root:wheel /sbin/mount_ntfs
sudo chmod 755 /sbin/mount_ntfs

Enjoy R/W access to NTFS volumes...

In case you don't like it

sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig /sbin/mount_ntfs

and everything is back to R/O.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009

I can't rename the file. It says "You don't have permission to rename the item "mount_ntfs"" even though I modified the permissions and added 'admin(me)' to the list of read/write users. in the "Get Info" dialogue box.

Furthermore, how would I create and execute that script? Why do some people have to do this and others (seems like most) don't have to even bother?

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
iBlacky of the same forum posted a better method. Basically, it's running mount_ntfs with read/write option specified.

Here's how it's done in Terminal:

sudo nano /sbin/mount_ntfs
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@"​
(press Enter, Ctrl-O, Enter, Ctrl-X in sequence)​

Make sure to check that mount_ntfs is listed as -rwxr-xr-x and root wheel when you type ls -al /sbin/mount_ntfs and you're good to go.

P.S.
If it isn't working for you, it may be that the NTFS partition wasn't cleanly unmounted previously (e.g. not using safe eject in Windows). To check if this is the case, open Console in Utilities, and go to 'All Messages' instead of 'Console Messages'. Search for 'ntfs' and you may come across an error that displays like this:

NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk3s1, pid 435): ntfs_system_inodes_get(): $LogFile is not clean. Mounting read-only. Mount in Windows.

You need to plug the disk into Windows-running system, and do a safe eject. Then the NTFS partition will mount in read/write mode.

Good luck!
Again thanks iBlacky :)

iBlacky

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
I can't rename the file. It says "You don't have permission to rename the item "mount_ntfs"" even though I modified the permissions and added 'admin(me)' to the list of read/write users. in the "Get Info" dialogue box.

Furthermore, how would I create and execute that script? Why do some people have to do this and others (seems like most) don't have to even bother?

Sorry I forgot to mention that you have to use the Terminal.app, but "applevx" explained the missing parts very good :), so follow his guide.

cdingdong

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
I tried this method on my WD Passport that's formatted NTFS, and it works. I am using OSX 10.6.1. On the Prasys' Blog website, it said that there is a chance that this method would corrupt the partition (in my case it would be my external hard drive), but I took the gamble. Worked out in my favor. I used NTFS-3G + MacFuse on Tiger and Leopard before, and the transfer speed is much slower to my external hard drive. I thought it was because of my Macbook's USB 1.0 ports. Now that I use native NTFS read/write support from Snow Leopard, I see that it was NTFS-3G + MacFuse that slowed me down.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Um, excuse me, iBlacky, it's not applevx's guide. It's mine.

applevx just copied and pasted what I wrote at my blog without giving a proper link.

http://www.tool-box.info/blog/archives/1193-Snow-Leopards-NTFS-readwrite-support.html

applevx, please don't rip off what other people write outright. I clearly gave credit to iBlacky about the method and expanded upon it to be fully doable in Terminal, as well as a way of diagnosing and fixing possible error that may arise. The post stands on its own properly. On the other hand, you just copied the major part of my posting without changing even a word. That's just wrong.

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009

applevx just copied and pasted what I wrote at my blog without giving a proper link.

http://www.tool-box.info/blog/archives/1193-Snow-Leopards-NTFS-readwrite-support.html

applevx, please don't rip off what other people write outright. I clearly gave credit to iBlacky about the method and expanded upon it to be fully doable in Terminal, as well as a way of diagnosing and fixing possible error that may arise. The post stands on its own properly. On the other hand, you just copied the major part of my posting without changing even a word. That's just wrong.

I am sorry wesley96 if my post hurts your feeling, I am sorry.

I got that explanation from web site but not sure whether or not your blog. I am just simply try to help people here as you trying to do so. We have the same goal here and also the original idea comes from iBlacky, doesn't it?

I am not sure whom I was copy from, but clearly that was iBlacky's idea, that's why I said that THANKS iBlacky! The credit goes to iBlacky! :)

Again, wesley96, I am sorry, hope you can forgive me. :)

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I am sorry wesley96 if my post hurts your feeling, I am sorry.

I got that explanation from web site but not sure whether or not your blog. I am just simply try to help people here as you trying to do so. We have the same goal here and also the original idea comes from iBlacky, doesn't it?

I am not sure whom I was copy from, but clearly that was iBlacky's idea, that's why I said that THANKS iBlacky! The credit goes to iBlacky! :)

Again, wesley96, I am sorry, hope you can forgive me. :)
Apology accepted. :)

brodenborn

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Doesn't Work on SL 10.6.1

I don't know if something has changed in SL since the last post, but none of the above works on either my internal drive's Bootcamp partition (made under 10.5). I cannot get a UUID from the command line or from Disk Utility. The drive is not mounted and there's no information about it. Disk Utility sees the partition, but cannot verify or repair. I tried running chdsk while booted in Windows, but that cannot be done as it is the boot partition, i.e. it cannot be unmounted first. I attached a screenshot of what Disk Utility gives when I ask for information. I also tried using the Label=BOOTCAMP method, but that did not work either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DiskUtility.png
    DiskUtility.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 386

adrianmak

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009

Create a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw "$@“

save the script to /sbin/mount_ntfs

Enjoy R/W access to NTFS volumes...

In case you don't like it

sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs.orig /sbin/mount_ntfs

and everything is back to R/O.

with this tricky shell script, should /etc/fstab file still needed ?

iBlacky

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009

Btw. to edit

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs.fs/Contents/info.plist

and to add "-o rw"

to

FSMountArguments

doesn't work because the

diskarbitrationd

deamon doesn't read the info.plist, so no matter what you insert in "FSMountArguments" the "diskarbitrationd" daemon ignores it.

adrianmak

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
Nope, you don't need /etc/fstab

/etc/fstab is deprecated anyway :)

I followed the instruction to create this shell script and made a reboot. But I can only have read on hdd in ntfs format .

I used console.app and didn't find and errors,warning with ntfs

Screenshot2009-09-23at84802AM.png

iBlacky

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
I followed the instruction to create this shell script and made a reboot. But I can only have read on hdd in ntfs format .

I used console.app and didn't find and errors,warning with ntfs

I assume your NTFS volume wasn't cleanly unmounted previously and this way you can only mount it read-only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.