Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
My new iBook G4 makes a clicking noise every so often...Anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

thanks! :)

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have heard tell that some of the new drives are making these noises and that it is normal. However, I don't have any drives that do this, so if it were mine, for my piece of mind, I would give Apple a call.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
beethovengirl said:
My new iBook G4 makes a clicking noise every so often...Anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?

If it was mine and I lived near an Apple Store or an Apple reseller, then I would take it in for a professional opinion. If they can look at it in person, it will make the whole process easier.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
beethovengirl said:

When does it make that noise? Is it at startup or when you are running a lot of applications? If that's the case, then it means your hard drive is working, and noise-making is normal in that case.

It could also be that your hard drive is caught on something or was not properly installed, or that your slot-loading drive is malfunctioning.

There are tons of possiblities, but I personally would not stand for it. Go to the Apple Store and have them fix it--you didn't pay them for a defective computer.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
wide said:
When does it make that noise? Is it at startup or when you are running a lot of applications?

I'm just running Safari and surfing the web, and I can hear it every 5 minutes or so.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I guess I'll call Apple. This is a bit depressing since the last iBook I had [original clamshell] suffered the infamous sleep bug/sad Mac issue soon after I purchased it.

beethovengirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
I called Apple but they didn't have any idea what it could be and just suggested I send it in. hmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.