Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I think it is but what do you guys think?

I literally found an iphone 3G while trying to get the mail at my apt complex. At first i didn't know what it was until i kicked it over, and that's when i realized it was an iphone. The sim card was still in the iphone, i was able to remove that card and replace it with my card. At first it didn't work because it was passcoded, so i reformatted the iphone to 3.1 and i was able to get my sim card working.

I used many different att sim cards and and they all worked. I can't find anyone with a non att sim card. So from this information does it seem unlocked?

Superus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Are you sure? i upgraded to firmware 3.1 already. I don't think ultrasn0w would work on that version?

**update

I just did it and now it says i have no service. My modem firmware is 5-11-07

**Update 2

I can't downgrade to the lowest modem firmware because my baseband is not 5.08

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
or you know...you could try contacting the original iphone owner and give it back instead of being a cheap, piece of garbage?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

I literally found an iphone 3G while trying to get the mail at my apt complex. At first i didn't know what it was until i kicked it over, and that's when i realized it was an iphone. The sim card was still in the iphone, i was able to remove that card and replace it with my card. At first it didn't work because it was passcoded, so i reformatted the iphone to 3.1 and i was able to get my sim card working.

I used many different att sim cards and and they all worked. I can't find anyone with a non att sim card. So from this information does it seem unlocked?

Did you try opening contacts and trying to return it ?

Superus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
i wish i could but the phone is reformatted already. I lost everything

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

The fact that it works with different AT&T SIM cards doesn't mean that it's unlocked at all. A locked phone will work with any SIM cards from its carrier.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Reformatting to 3.1 killed any potential Jailbreak anyway.

Also - you effectively store the replacement cost of the phone from that person. Take it to AT&T store, turn it in. They can find out who owns it by the IMEI number.

Douche.

Superus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Just jailbroke the iphone on 3.1 my sim works on it as well.

Seriously guys if any one of you found something extremely appealing, I guarantee you would keep it. And if you say otherwise, then you are lying to yourselves. It is what it is.

And if you bothered to actually read my post, it said the phone had a passcode, the only way i could get in is by upgrading to 3.1 firmware. Which means completely deleting his info.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Just jailbroke the iphone on 3.1 my sim works on it as well.

Seriously guys if any one of you found something extremely appealing, I guarantee you would keep it. And if you say otherwise, then you are lying to yourselves. It is what it is.

No I would not !

Apparently you and I see things differently.

F-bomb

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
How to reformat a unlocked phone

"I think it is but what do you guys think?

I used many different att sim cards and and they all worked. I can't find anyone with a non att sim card. So from this information does it seem unlocked? "

How did you reformat the iphone?? i am in your position (LoL) i have the screen where i need a password, i cant get out of that screen how do i reformat it?

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
"I think it is but what do you guys think?

I used many different att sim cards and and they all worked. I can't find anyone with a non att sim card. So from this information does it seem unlocked? "

How did you reformat the iphone?? i am in your position (LoL) i have the screen where i need a password, i cant get out of that screen how do i reformat it?

Put it in restore mode. Turn it off, once it's off hold down the home button for a couple seconds (I usually do 10) and plug it into the computer while holding the home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.