Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johng723

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
California
How long does the rechargable battery that Apple offers for 100 bucks or so last? Does it weight down the powerbook a lot? I'm debating on whether or not I should get it.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
You can not install 2 batteries in the powerbook. The extra batteries normally last about the same as the regular battery. You can only remove the dead battery and put in the full battery.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
johng723 said:
How long does the rechargable battery that Apple offers for 100 bucks or so last? Does it weight down the powerbook a lot? I'm debating on whether or not I should get it.

The PowerBook holds one battery - the extra battery is an exact duplicate of the included.

One thing I find cool is that the PowerBook has a hidden battery which can support it while you switch batteries so you don't have to shut down! I have only one battery but a few people mentioned this in another thread.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Only the 15 and 17 inchers have that feature. The 12 inch you will have to shut down the computer then replace the battery then start it ,back up again. The only bad thing about apple in my eyes.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
virividox said:
really? i remember hot changing a 12 powerbooks battery just fine

What rev do you have. If you have rev b, then I can say yes mine can do it. But, I read every where about it. Nothing about doing hot changes on he 12 inch.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
do you really need two batteries??

johng723 said:
I'm debating on whether or not I should get it.

As others have said you cannot install 2 batteries at once in the Powerbooks. One thing you have to consider is how long do you need to use your Powerbook between charges. If you are planning on using it for less than 3 hrs on battery and then recharging it you do not need another battery.

On the other hand if you are on the road all day and using it constantly for 5 - 6 hours or so without being near a wall socket, by all means get another battery.

The batteries are Lithium Ion types so they do have a shelf life. If you don't use the second battery over time it will not be able to hold a charge if you dont use it.

Have a look at this link on the Apple Discussions site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10571

aussie_geek

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
I mentioned this somewhere before, but just to note again...

The Al15" does have a new 50 watt-hour battery (viz the new 50 watt-hour battery for the 12" and 58 watt-hour battery for the 17"), but you can only buy the old extra rechargeable batteries, rated at 46 watt-hours (which is even less than the old 47 watt-hour batteries that you could get for the rev B 12", which don't work in the new rev C 12", and are now going for half the price).

Unfortunate and a little disappointing. But anyway... ultimately the extra battery decision comes down to how often you find yourself on the road without juice in your Powerbook or access to a power point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.