Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I am having issues with Facebook on Safari. Over the past few months Facebook does not act correctly when I load it into Safari. The main issues are Safari no longer stores my FB password. I have cleared it from my keychain, but it will not give me a prompt to save it again. Second, when I am logged into my account, the search box's submit button on the top left will not work (it will not recognize it as a button) and this happens throughout various FB pages with other buttons. Lastly, it will log me out and I will relog in and it will not let me log in, it just keeps kicking back to the log in page.

I can open and operate FB in both Firefox and Camino without a problem. I don't know what is causing this. It just happens with FB and no other sites. I do have AdBlock, but this started to happen before I installed that. Any ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Oz

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
It's happening to me too, and I have absolutely no idea why. Restarting Safari seems to fix the problem though, at least until the next time.

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Im glad to hear it isn't only me. I hate to restart Safari because I usually have a ton of stuff open and it is a hassle. Plus, it is only temporary at best. Wonder if there are any solutions?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I do not have a problem with it, are you using the click box to store your password, or having Safari save it.?

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I have Safari save it. I know this is probably a pretty isolated problem because I have friends that use Safari and FB with no trouble. I don't know what I could have done though to cause this.

Ozman712

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Problem solved. It was AdBlock after all. Some weird problem with that plugin. I deleted it and it seems to have resolved the issues. Thanks again for all the great input.

dolonj

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
problem using facebook

I have been having problems using FACEBOOK for the last three days. The submit buttons and many buttons for 'reply' etc don't work any more .. I can't leave messages or replies on walls or use the compose message feature because the addresses won't load .. the pages are not loading properly i guess.

I am not much knowledgable about macs .. or pcs in general .. but when I found others had probs with mac and FB I thought maybe I could get some help too.

What is ADBLOCK .. someone achieved some solution with that .. can someone help?

It's making me crazy .. cause I spend so much time at FB and now I have to swicth on my stupid compaq laptop and get onto Firefox to send replies and write messages and on walls .. CRAZY!! I hate all other machines after Mac but it's ditching me BAADD!!

i11i1i

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I'm not quite sure why this is happening either. I'm having the same problems and I don't have the Adblock plug-in. Anyone else have suggestions?

angira

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
(apologies for replying to an old post but it still shows on google)

The problem seems to be Safari's Javascript implementation.

Solution: Use Firefox and be happy or wait for Apple to fix it.

monicapineda

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Problems with facebook

I am having problems with facebook both with safari and firefox. When I log in into facebook, inmediately after my home page is loaded firefox or safari close unexpectedly. This has happened also with "myspace". I don´t know if someone knows what the problem might be and how to fix it.

I´ll appreciatte your help!!
Thanks a lot...

Mac Maniac 9

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2009
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
you don't need to reset everytime, Hit safari preferences and show cookies, remove all the facebook cookies and hit done. This is a temporary fix, but you don't need to reset everything. i'm unsure which cookie(s) actually is the cause of the problem.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
I am having issues with Facebook on Safari. Over the past few months Facebook does not act correctly when I load it into Safari. The main issues are Safari no longer stores my FB password. I have cleared it from my keychain, but it will not give me a prompt to save it again. Second, when I am logged into my account, the search box's submit button on the top left will not work (it will not recognize it as a button) and this happens throughout various FB pages with other buttons. Lastly, it will log me out and I will relog in and it will not let me log in, it just keeps kicking back to the log in page.

I can open and operate FB in both Firefox and Camino without a problem. I don't know what is causing this. It just happens with FB and no other sites. I do have AdBlock, but this started to happen before I installed that. Any ideas or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Oz

No, the main issue is that you are not using firefox. Safari is much slower and has many more problems that firefox. I have been using firefox for a VERY long time, I couldn't be happier

soulphonic

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
I am also using Safari on a Powerbook G4, 5 days ago problems started with facebook. I am still able to use facebook but each time when I want to invite friends to an event or group my Safari stops working. I also have this same problem using Firefox.

When i look at the graphic of my CPU i notice that everytime u try to invite friends on facebook my CPU goes in red. So it seems that my computer has become to slow from one day to the next day.

Its hard for mee to believe that a powerbook g4 isn't able to load a particular page on facebook ...

I already deleted the cookies but still have the same problem.

Hope someone can help me?

Thanks in advance!

CompactMacUser

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
I had similar problems - i just use the Camino browser now for facebook, also found that the chat functionality wasn't happening either.

Anhdru

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
You might want to try Flock. It's a Mozilla-based browser that has special tools for Facebook. I've also used Firefox with success, and I'm running a PowerBook G4 too.

I just downloaded Safari 4.0 beta and so far the new rendering engine seems to be handling things pretty well. You might want to give that a try, too.

Camino is a fine browser but it has (documented ) screen rendering problems on 10.4.11. That should get fixed when they get to Camino 2.x.

isethx

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
i just found this on google. i've been having major issues with facebook lately, it won't ever load or work it's driving me crazy.

actually since 10.5.7 i've been having a lot more issues with my mac, especially with safari and ichat

ChuckD1859

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
Wow, this is such an old thread...but still the problem persists. For the first time in the last month or so I have been having problems with Safari not clicking on certain links in Facebook. Firefox has no problem with any of them. The following things don't work that worked just fine.

- Inbox - Inbox doesn't load
- Chat - List of friends online doesn't open up (but does display how many are online)
- Accept/Reject friend invitation
- Reply to wall post
- Accept/Reject events

...all sorts of random things.

Am running Safari 4.0.3. on MacOS Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Anyone have a solution?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, this is such an old thread...but still the problem persists. For the first time in the last month or so I have been having problems with Safari not clicking on certain links in Facebook. Firefox has no problem with any of them. The following things don't work that worked just fine.

- Inbox - Inbox doesn't load
- Chat - List of friends online doesn't open up (but does display how many are online)
- Accept/Reject friend invitation
- Reply to wall post
- Accept/Reject events

...all sorts of random things.

Am running Safari 4.0.3. on MacOS Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Anyone have a solution?
I believe almost all of the issues are on facebook's side of the problem.

beala

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Safari's Saft extension seemed to be causing me problems. After installing Saft, I'd get logged out of FB after a minute or so. Once I removed Saft, everything worked again.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm having problems - sometimes it'll just load the top bit of the new feed (the menu bar) and nothing else.

Facebook chat hardly ever works either..

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well, the Safari 4.0.4 update released today has sorted all this, and Facebook appears to be working correctly now. Apple noted that there was some JavaScript enhancements/other fixes.

femmeaccident

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Facebook Problems on Safari

I am having a similar problem. Over the past few weeks I can only sometimes access facebook on my Mac. My husband uses a PC and doesn't seem to have a problem, so I'm guessing it must be a Mac problem. It will shut down in the middle of a session or just block me out completely. When I do get onto the site, I sometimes cannot post comments or send messages. It's driving me NUTS!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.