Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
FWIW, I split my payment over two CC's and both of them are showing way less available credit right now, basically the amount that I authorized on them both, but no charge from Apple yet. Looks like it could be shipping this week.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
Maybe the iMac's are done already and they are pressing new restore DVD's with the 10.6.2 update ?

OR

They are adding at not extra cost, a Blu-Ray recorder and player !!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Definitely a possibility. Or it could be that Apple realized there was an issue with the models and stopped shipping them to stores, so they can fix the affected models before shipping. Before people start saying they wouldn't stop production for some random software issue, I'm not saying they stopped production. I'm just saying they may have stopped distribution. Or it could be another unrelated factor altogether.
all possible IMO. but i guess we will never know unless the problem is bigger then expected and they give us the actual reason why its taking so long.

Maybe the iMac's are done already and they are pressing new restore DVD's with the 10.6.2 update ?

OR

They are adding at not extra cost, a Blu-Ray recorder and player !!

LOL! dont we wish!

gastrodose

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Damn ...because of some interesting reviews (like this) I decided to upgrade my i5 order to an i7.

So recently I called the Apple support to make the upgrade on my existing i5 order. They told me (two supporters), that it's not possible to upgrade the existing order because the invoice amount has to be equal oder lower.

It seems, that I have to cancel my first order and make a complete new one – this would mean, that I loose my place in the queue.

What do you guys think ... is it worth that? Should I stay with my i5 oder make a new order with an i7?

Thanks ... and sorry for my bad english.

What do you guys think ... is it worth that? Should I stay with my i5 oder make a new order with an i7?

I surely think that i7 would be worth the update! Depending of what you want with it tho.
Personally i stick with the i5 because that's high-end enough for my needs.

Anyway, better is better I hear most people say

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Damn ...because of some interesting reviews (like this) I decided to upgrade my i5 order to an i7.

So recently I called the Apple support to make the upgrade on my existing i5 order. They told me (two supporters), that it's not possible to upgrade the existing order because the invoice amount has to be equal oder lower.

It seems, that I have to cancel my first order and make a complete new one – this would mean, that I loose my place in the queue.

how much do the i7 chips cost individually? you could always do it yourself i guess if you are game (if it is cheaper, its not cheaper here in aust).

the difference is negligble. 5%-10% faster, hardly worth it i guess - i am getting the i7 but lol.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009

I just wanted to let you know, and everybody else know, that I called Apple yesterday afternoon to change my order. I downgraded my RAM to 4GB and upgraded the HDD to 2TB. It increased my price by about $45.00, so she had to cancel my original order, which I placed on Oct. 21, and create a new order. I double and triple checked with her, she said that the order would retain it's original order number, and thus I wouldn't be placed at the end of the queue. I feel quite certain that she knew what she was talking about, but if she was full of it... Meh, I needed the bigger hard drive, and would have regretted not getting it changed.

She proceeded to tell me, without prompting, that she expected the new iMacs to ship by this week, but she really didn't have any official word to go by. She said that as soon as Apple knows, we'll know.

She also sounded very exasperated when she told me that... perhaps she's been asked a few too many times?

vaizki

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Apple showed my i7 as cancelled on friday and a new identical order placed on saturday. Never got any emails about it. They are on the same order number.

Called them (Apple Store Finland which got answered in Sweden based on the accent) and they said that

a) there was a technical glitch that caused orders to be canceled
b) my order is the same as before
c) my "place in line" is still the same (I ordered as soon as it was possible here, Oct 22nd morning)
d) they are currently expecting to ship on the LAST of November, but may be earlier (as usual)
e) cause of the holdup is huge demand (yea well I only ordered ONE)

No, I don't read every message on MacRumors so sorry in advance for any redundant info :rolleyes:

gastrodose

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
I double and triple checked with her, she said that the order would retain it's original order number, and thus I wouldn't be placed at the end of the queue. I feel quite certain that she knew what she was talking about, but if she was full of it... Meh, I needed the bigger hard drive, and would have regretted not getting it changed.

I hope she was right :) My supporters told me that it is not possible because of the system ... but hey, if I downgrade the RAM, they also have to touch the machine!?

I surely think that i7 would be worth the update! Depending of what you want with it tho.
Personally i stick with the i5 because that's high-end enough for my needs.

I work a lot with the products of the Adobe Creative Suite. In the most cases I work with Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneous. The files I'm working with a very large and my actual macbook has no chance to handle it.

I think I will wait a few hours .. but I tend to an i7

iMacKeung

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
I don't buy their saying of delaying due to huge demand...

IF so at least they could start shipping to some of those early birds...but they don't ship at all till now

nevertheless...it's still the first half of November...let's see if they can keep their promise of shipping before Decemeber

Onist

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Apple folks couldn't answer these questions...

Hi all. Long time iPhone owner, just about to jump in and buy the iMac quadcore i7. But, wanna know:

I see other sellers retailing RAM of the 4GB variety for $224, or a pair of them for $449. Are these reliable and compatible? The website says theyll work, but the apple people went all federal on me (as in "we can neither confirm nor deny...). I'll pay for the 4x2GB from apple if I ought to, but was hoping someone here might have experience with 3rd party hardware.

Also, found a few people on craigslist selling mac programs. I'm well aware they're not exactly "within their rights", so to speak, but is there any chance these are working programs? Or would they all be bunk? I've been a pc guy so far, and I know the are countless ways to get windows programs. Just don't know the game when it comes to mac programs.

Thanks all. It's reading forums like these that taught me so much already.

gastrodose

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Ok, to be sure I called Apple again and asked if there is any possibility to change my existing order. Now they send me forward to a director which told me, that he has to cancel my order, but that he will set my new order on a priority list.

Now I have a new order with a new number but I'm o an priority list :) I hope this was not the wrong decesion.

Ok, to be sure I called Apple again and asked if there is any possibility to change my existing order. Now they send me forward to a director which told me, that he has to cancel my order, but that he will set my new order on a priority list.

Now I have a new order with a new number but I'm o an priority list :) I hope this was not the wrong decesion.
i hope so too! :D
keep us informed please!

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Just spoke with Apple UK querying the phantom cancellation and re-instatement of my iMac order and they confirmed that all is well with my order. Guy I spoke with also stated that they expect to start shipping out the Quad Cores in the last week of November. Obviously if your iMac is regarded as a BTO (RAM increase, pre-installed software, non standard keyboard etc.) then it ships out of China so add a few extra days on to the 3 days courier service for models shipping within Europe.

To be fair when I originally ordered back in October I always assumed it would be towards the end of November before they shipped.

KaiderCoder

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Germany
I don't know how these online shops which are selling 27" Quad-iMacs can argue that shipment will be approximately on 9th Nov.

They say, that this information is directly from Apple.
I wonder why Apple's support don't know (or don't want to know) anything about shipment status.

I'm thinking about cancelling my order, because I need a computer to work with.
But if I cancel and buy an IBM High-End PC, I don't have this exciting monitor and this exciting OS anymore.

I just don't want to use Windows anymore. :(

chp5592

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
I too am waiting for my i7 to ship but having second thoughts. The new 32nm clarkdale processor is to ship early January and us early adopters will have the latest and greatest for only six weeks at most.

err, and when do you expect it to make it's way into a Mac? Hint: i7 was launched in 2008.

"Early adopters" is only relative to other Macs (Mac Pro?), not PC land.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
Hello,

I just came back from the Apple Store Aberdeen, Scotland.

And I asked if they had the iMac 27 inch i5 and/or i7 in stock. The woman kinda said yes (being hesitant). I mentioned that this is weird because I ordered one online from Apple, and they only say November as shipping date.

Suddenly she was very unsure of her answer. She looked around the store for a i5 or i7, and pointed me to a i5, then she left. So it was a imac 27 inch, and I checked the system profile, and it was a........................ Core 2 Duo 3.06....................................... Really, those store assistants are pointless, they know absolutely nothing.

She probably manage to sell one Mac a week, and I bet I can sell a few a day to anybody because I know what I am speaking about and I am freaking passionate about Apple products.

The funny part, I was actually invited to a Apple Seminar in regards to this store, but i turned it down because I have a job that pays more.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
Just now, speaking with Donna G, Apple Expert :

• While we have the tools to assist our customers with their current purchases in the Apple Online Store we do not have the tools to research any orders that have already been placed.
  • Donna G: Once that date is announced, you will receive an email and we'll also update our website.
Nothing more on the status of the iMac i7.

MacGadfly

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
FWIW, Bot of my local retail locations have the C2D in stock over the weekend, and are selling them (I bought one myself on Fri).

If your store is out, I think it is just a supply issue, not a recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.