Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
I've got both original 800k images. If you still need them, let me know.

PM Sent, thanks!
Where did you find the Techstep?

I've actually had it for about 3 years and ran into it a few days ago. Originally purchased on ebay from a seller that marketed surplus medical equipment. I'm not sure how they ended up with a Techstep!

smartin807

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
I googled Techstep primarily for vanity's sake to see if anyone out there even remembered it.

I earned 3 patents for Apple with the design and project and am somewhat amused that it's become a minor collectors item.

OBT, there is no such thing as "installation" software for Techstep. You simply put in the correct ROM Pack, attach the cables to the output ports of the appropriate Mac(s) and go.

Software (aside from the ROM packs) was created to provide testing examples and probably to feedback to an Apple repair center (I can't remember exactly).

Note that the serial port built into the side of the Techstep was for "Remote Diagnostics". That was where you could hook up a modem from where you were and we could take over the diagnosis or download tests that weren't in the ROM packs. The ONLY reason it was never implemented was because we had no internal infrastructure (people) to support it. Other than that it worked very well.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Really Really Neet, Now where using USB Bootable diags and netboot images. Shows how much technology has changed over the years

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool

Attachments

• TechStep 1.jpg
    TechStep 1.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 235
  • TechStep2.jpg
    TechStep2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 265

TheSprout

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Source for TechStep software?

Bit of a thread necro, but relevant to the original post...

I've got two of these that I've had laying around for ~15 years or so that were piled in a drawer with some other older stuff. Looking for floppy images as I'd like to putter around with them a bit, and verify they are both working properly before deciding what to do with them.

The original manual (covering Classic through IIcx & SCSI drives) is right at 100 pages; if I'm feeling particularly adventurous I may create a PDF version since that also appears to be sought after.

DZ/015 - I'd PM you but since I'm a long time lurker, and never had the need to post, the forums won't allow me to do so; if you still have access to these images I'd appreciate a copy!

TheSprout

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Update-

Adding some pictures; forgot that one of these was a prototype; figured somebody would enjoy seeing these.

Bottom:
TechBack.JPG

Rear:
TechPorts.JPG

Carts:
TechCarts.JPG

TechStep ROM version. NOTE - notice that at this point it's called "TechTool" in the firmware, vs. "TechStep" in the final product.
TechROM1.JPG

CPU Test Vol. 1 ROM version:
TechROM2.JPG

SCSI Test ROM version:
TechROM3.JPG

Reactions: digitalrampage

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
DZ/015 - I'd PM you but since I'm a long time lurker, and never had the need to post, the forums won't allow me to do so; if you still have access to these images I'd appreciate a copy!

Message has been sent.

Anyone else need the images? There are two 800k disks that came with the techstep. They enable generating reports based on the diagnostic tests that are run.

TheSprout

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Message has been sent.

Anyone else need the images? There are two 800k disks that came with the techstep. They enable generating reports based on the diagnostic tests that are run.

Awesome; appreciated. "sprout.the" at that commonly used google email domain.

I'm assuming one of these two is the diagnostic I've seen mentioned - kinda doubt it's going to be any good for the prototype version, but will be good for checking the production one at least!

mkinn

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes, I just bought one, but no floppies.

I've got both original 800k images. If you still need them, let me know.

I realize they are not needed to use this, but I'd still like to have them.
What I am still looking for are scans or pdf's of the manuals.
Does ANYONE have links, scans, or ability to scan these?

miniMOJOman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
sorry to bump an old thread, any chance any one in this thread still has an apple techstep that they would be willing to sell? I am looking for one for a more reasonable price than 5-600$. It would be extremely helpful as I would actually be using it. Thanks!

mosaiko

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
Italy - Bologna
Yes, I just bought one, but no floppies.
I realize they are not needed to use this, but I'd still like to have them.
What I am still looking for are scans or pdf's of the manuals.
Does ANYONE have links, scans, or ability to scan these?

Same for me now the request; I'm looking for the Troubleshooting Guide in PDF or scan... Anyone here got it ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.