Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digiphantom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Hi,

I'm getting ready to sell my ipod touch to a friend, but when I did a restore, I realized that it didn't clear all my personal info (e-mail, itunes account, etc...).

What other steps do I need to take so that I can fully clear the present information?

Thanks.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Delete your iTunes backup information as it 'restores' the backup after a reset. After deleting the backup, perform another 'restore' and it should return to factory defaults.

If in doubt, create a temporary user account and use a fresh iTunes install.

Quazitex

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
I think I have a similar problem. Since I already have an iPhone, I gave my iPod touch to a visiting cousin. I did a restore before I handed it over to the cousin. I had forgotten iTunes kept a copy of the iPod touch backup.

Unfortunately, my cousin later called me from the airport that my e-mail address is still on and that the so store is linked to my account.

Can my cousin simply just do a restore on his home computer with iTunes or does it need to be sent back to me? I use OSX and he has a windows machine, I don't think the touches have is compatibility problems.

P.s make sure you change your email pass as a precaution

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Delete your iTunes backup information as it 'restores' the backup after a reset. After deleting the backup, perform another 'restore' and it should return to factory defaults.

Not necessarily, after you reset/restore, iTunes asks if you want to restore it from a backup, it doesn't do it automatically.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
You don't want to clear the data when you sell it; you want to wipe it. That means writing over the data on the disk. Restoring it leaves that data behind but it isn't easily accessible.

Settings / General / Reset / Erase all content and settings

That's what you want.

MyMorningWood

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
New York
I think I have a similar problem. Since I already have an iPhone, I gave my iPod touch to a visiting cousin. I did a restore before I handed it over to the cousin. I had forgotten iTunes kept a copy of the iPod touch backup.

Unfortunately, my cousin later called me from the airport that my e-mail address is still on and that the so store is linked to my account.

Can my cousin simply just do a restore on his home computer with iTunes or does it need to be sent back to me? I use OSX and he has a windows machine, I don't think the touches have is compatibility problems.

P.s make sure you change your email pass as a precaution

If you wanna change the itunes account that is default for the ipod touch you can plug the ipod into a computer,open itunes go to the store ans log out of the account and log in to the account you want tobe default on the ipod then sync it. That should work

baddecision

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Alright, so I jailbroke my iPod and a week later as it was trying to restart my springboard, it froze, so I tried resetting it but all that appeared was the apple symbol and it hasn't gone away.. I was wondering what i could do to fix it.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.