Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference approaching (June 28th), speculation has been building with respect to new product releases at the conference. As a developer's conference, however, consumer product introductions are the exception rather than the rule. Of course, last year Apple did introduce the PowerMac G5 at WWDC.

New Displays

Long awaited, and long rumored display upgrades are said to be imminent. Specs have been posted offering sizes ranging from 20" to 30". The new displays are described to adopt an aluminum design to match the current PowerMac line.

Pricing is said to top out at $2999 for the 30" model.

iMac G5?

Reports continue to indicate that the next iMac revision will sport a G5 processor.

A newer report has claimed that the new iMac will have a case redesign and incorporate a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Tablet/Hanging/Interactive

Whispers continue to trickle in about a more ambitious project at Apple... with seemingly related information coming in from various sources. Again, not many details are available, but reports of hangable and interactive displays are keeping things interesting.

Other unconfirmed whispers include a partnership with TiVO and possible confirmation of recent speculation of AirTunes enabled iPod technology.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm excited about seeing 10.4

I think new displays and a new iMacs are going to happen. The vertical Pizza box design sounds interesting. I am sure Apple will blow me away. As for the tablet I will believe it when I see it.

But I'm am mostly looking forward to seeing what is in 10.4. Apple's true brilliance comes across in software design...they have never ceased to impress me with there operating system upgrades.

WWDC is coming! :D :eek: :D

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
sounds good, but if the 30" is going to be 2999, it seems like we may not see much of a price drop on the 23". I mean, if the 23" went down to 1499 or so, why would anyone pay another 1500 for the 30", when they could just buy two 23" for the same price? I hope the 23" gets a price drop, cause I'm buyin!

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Well not that I will be buying any of the aforementioned potential releases, but I'd love to see something like a new iPod come out, I would buy that :rolleyes:

iLife

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
SF Bay Area / Miami FL
didn't the specs on the new displays mention something about hanging on their supports? maybe theres bleedover in the two seperate rumors? maybe the new form factor allows to mounted on a wall? The rumors said it would take up a lot less room than the current models...

just a thought... :D

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I would SO buy an iMac G5 - and oooOOOOoooo this is my 4th ever rumor roundup :D Bring on the updates!!

terceiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2003
Hardware schmardware

I don't care about what's the next rev of XYZ piece of hardware. I probably don't have the budget for it right now.

I want to know what Tiger is going to have in it. Where's the software rumors?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Bhennies said:
why would anyone pay another 1500 for the 30", when they could just buy two 23"?

Because it's 30 bleeping inches! What other reason do you need? Why does anyone need a Hummer when a VW Jetta or a Smart Car will get you there just as well? It's bragging rights, it's machismo, it's the American Way.

I suppose there are also practical reasons: if you wanted your monitor to double as your DVD-viewing screen, if you had limited desk space, if you need to work on very large images. But mainly it's to say "mine's bigger."

taco

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2004
can't wait!

i just took delivery on a rev. b dual 1.8 w/ 256mb ram (upgraded it myself to 1.25 gigs), 80 gig hd (slapped in another 200 gig sata for video), 128mb ati 9600XT, logitech mx900 bluetooth mouse and logitech z-2200 thx speakers- a new 20" apple lcd is all i need to complete this awesome system!!!

previous to the dual g5, i'd been using a latest rev 17" imac... wow... what a difference. both great machines, but the dual is just unbelievable.

anyone else get their new rev. bs? what do you think?

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
a 30" monitor has been on my wishlist for a long time. if only these damn mortgage payments didn't rain on my parade so much...

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
we can all dream, but we will only find out once wwdc starts!

till then my dreams will be filled with a tablet like apple, as well as a wi-fi enabled iPod.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Hehe, me either.

I am at a dilema, about 4 months ago I bought really nice new View Sonic Flat Pannel monitors.. 2 17"'s. Now I find myself wanting a single 23 or maybe dual 20's ....... why do I do this to myself?!?!

Bah, why is it that I just want to give apple more and more money!

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
And still no rumors on Tiger? Apple sure is doing a good job being closed-lipped about it.

I'd like to see a G5 iMac, but a cheap G5 iMac would be even better (headless, even).

30" display would be awesome to wow friends with, but two 23" monitors would be even better.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I can see a G5 iMac. That'll happen sooner than later.

3000 bucks for a monitor is just a plain ol waste of money. Only if it is holographic would I drop 3k on a monitor. Or if I were rich...

silvergunuk

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
England
I Pity The Fool.

My sources have told me that Apple will name Mac OSX 10.4 iOfTheTiger. The box will have a huge picture of BA Baracas with a huge golden X hanging from one of his thick golden chains. Don't ask me for anymore information as my source could be sued and possibly fired by Apple.

He also tells me the ipod will be renamed Tarquin as dedication to the British Apple designer Jonathan Ive.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
wordmunger said:
Because it's 30 bleeping inches! What other reason do you need? Why does anyone need a Hummer when a VW Jetta or a Smart Car will get you there just as well? It's bragging rights, it's machismo, it's the American Way.

I suppose there are also practical reasons: if you wanted your monitor to double as your DVD-viewing screen, if you had limited desk space, if you need to work on very large images. But mainly it's to say "mine's bigger."
Of course I know why someone would buy it...I'm referring to the price point to speculate that we shoudln't anticipate much of a price drop on the 23".

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
Dual use

wordmunger said:

I currently use a 20" cinema display as my monitor and TV at home. Having a 30" would fill two purposes for me because 30" is a really nice size for a small apartment. If these rumors prove to be true, I think Apple will have an extremly competitive product because most 30" flat planel TVs are more than 3K for HD and with lower resolution. Though it is dissappointing that they won't release a standalone cinema 17"; that would be perfect for work, not to mention price . I must say that after using a wide screen monitor I could never go back to using a square; OS X really lends itself to that aspect ratio where Windows does not. However, Longhorn is looking very similar to OS X so that might change. I find it surprising that there really aren't any cinema displays in the PC world other than a few high end 23"+. If laptops can come with 17" wide than why not a standalone?!? :(

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
taco said:
i just took delivery on a rev. b dual 1.8 w/ 256mb ram (upgraded it myself to 1.25 gigs), 80 gig hd (slapped in another 200 gig sata for video), 128mb ati 9600XT, logitech mx900 bluetooth mouse and logitech z-2200 thx speakers- a new 20" apple lcd is all i need to complete this awesome system!!!

I don't suppose you could confirm if the processor was a 970 or 970FX could you?

AppleMatt

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Hellz and ****s yeah.

I'm gonna get a new iMac G5 equipped 10.4 and wireless keyboard and mouse, ALL WHICH HANGS ON THE WALL! :rolleyes:

You think the iMacs will have wireless networking (bluetooth of course) integration built in (airport)? At this point, no computer manufacturer should sell a machine that doesn't - notebook or other.

I can't wait; it's only six more days.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
from AppleInsider

Details are sketchy, but one source, who has provided accurate information on previous projects, claims that the new iMac will sport a vertical "pizza box" physique with the main logic board mounted vertically behind the computer's LCD screen.

Sounds almost like the design for the original LCD iMac that Jobs supposedly didn't like, doesn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.