Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
A new iMac G5 would be lovely. I really don't have the budget for a power mac w/ a the new display, and I can't wait for a powerbook G5.

an iMac G5 has the most potential for my to buy after the WWDC.

I still would love to hear about the new display's and Tiger.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
ipod?

Does anyone have any idea what's happening with a new ipod? 'cause mine is about a month away from dying completely (I've had it for 2 yrs so far, and it has all sorts of issues with the screen, headphone jack, and firewire port :( ). So, it would be really nice if a new one appeared soon...

jassa

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2004
UK
So hope it come out on Monday, going to get one if the specs and everything are right and looks good (of course it will its Apple). Anyway I need to sell my iMac G4 if I want to get the new iMac. This is the specs of my iMac:

iMac G4 17" 800 Mhz
512 Ram
80 Gb HD
0S X 10.2.8
iLife 04
Microsoft Office v.X
Photoshop CS
Adobe ImageReady CS
Roxio Toast 5
Age Of Empires II
All of Apples standard software + loads of other stuff.

I was just wondering how much I could get for this if I sold it.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
DGFan said:
from AppleInsider

Sounds almost like the design for the original LCD iMac that Jobs supposedly didn't like, doesn't it?

Precisely. That's why it'll never happen. When Ive went and visited Jobs at his home a sunflower in the garden gave them the inspiration for the design of the current iMac. When the G5 iMac comes, it certainly won't look like a "vertical pizza box."

M

må¥å

The BIG Surprise Is....

Well this Years WWDC we will see alot of hardware and software.

However there is a BIG SURPRISE and that will be Steve Jobs coming out on stage with a White jumper and Bermuda Shorts :p ;) :D :eek:

That would sure shock everyone attending.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
må¥å said:

However there is a BIG SURPRISE and that will be Steve Jobs coming out on stage with a White jumper and Bermuda Shorts :p ;) :D :eek:

No AppleInsider said he would be coming out in Speedos :)
(just kidding)

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
They are doing everything they can to take themselves out of the notebook biz!

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Laslo Panaflex said:
That's exactly what I was thinking . . .

And, if you can attach a G5 motherboard to a screen, so it can be mounted to a wall, why can't you put it in a laptop? It doesn't make sense to me, why would you put your computer on your wall? A Tablet like device, I can understand, but a computer that you can hang on a wall, why?

I would never use such a device, unless the monitor was at least 30". Anything below 30" would not be of any use, further than say 5 feet away.

Who uses their computer when they are 5 feet from it anyway? What's the problem? I'd LOVE a hangable computer, and there would be heat issues, but not nearly as much as when dealing with designig a notebook because A) a Mac that hangs on your wall isn't intended to be a leg warmer, as powerbooks are....i.e., a hangable mac can be hotter because it's not going on your legs. and B) I would want a hangable iMac with at least a 20" screen, preferably a 23" screen...that's a lot more surface area to dissipate heat, and a lot more room inside to install fans, heat pipes, etc. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but I could see it happening.

EDIT: Additionally, a hanging iMac doesn't have to be super thin and lightweight like a notebook....there are similarities between a hanging mac and a notebook, but I think there are enough differences to be able to put a G5 into a hangable before being able to put one in a laptop.

terceiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2003
No new iPod (prediction)

comictimes said:
Does anyone have any idea what's happening with a new ipod? 'cause mine is about a month away from dying completely (I've had it for 2 yrs so far, and it has all sorts of issues with the screen, headphone jack, and firewire port :( ). So, it would be really nice if a new one appeared soon...
I would be very surprised to see any dramatic changes from the existing iPod. It's a proven winner. They might intorduce something new, or update the existing specs (I mean, everyone needs a billion gig of portable music. Whatever.), but nothing dramatic. I have an original, rev A iPod, which is still going strong. Someday I might replace it, but I have absolute no need to "upgrade" anything about it.

warcraftmaster

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2003
here
Lancetx said:
Precisely. That's why it'll never happen. When Ive went and visited Jobs at his home a sunflower in the garden gave them the inspiration for the design of the current iMac. When the G5 iMac comes, it certainly won't look like a "vertical pizza box."

i want to see jobs and talk with him

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I just hope there's SOMETHING to chew on besides Tiger. Fur gets stuck in your teeth. :p :D

I like the idea of the hangable computer, actually...until I think about getting up to put in the DVD. Maybe have the media and drives in the keyboard, and then just a wireless connection to the mouse and hangable screen. The ultimate in sofa computing...but definitely not portable. I dunno. There's a lot to work out, there.

I also kinda like the son-of-Spartacus iMac G5 concept, with the internals basically part of the screen and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Cables, schmables! Get rid of the unsightly "box" altogether! Computers can be just the screen and input devices! Genius!! Of course, I can already see all the pissed-off articles from all the people who want a headless iCheap, but I'd be tempted. I'd have to name it Navi, though. :p

Well, we'll know in a week.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Is it monday yet? :D I hope they come out with new displays, and maybe a g5 power book (prob. not) How come there's all these rumors about hardware and stuff like that and nuthing about tiger? I mean the hole point of this keynote is for tiger...right... Although i'm not complaining about some new toys to buy :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
må¥å said:

We can be sure that "Tiger" will be discussed. The other certain thing is the he will come out in the black turtle neck and jeans.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
wPod said:
we can all dream, but we will only find out once wwdc starts!

till then my dreams will be filled with a tablet like apple, as well as a wi-fi enabled iPod.

It is like Christmas morning for use Mac Fanatics...so much to think about, so many possibility. And when it is all over, will we be happy or disappointed? Only time will tell...

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Merrill Lynch buy isn't going to make a statement like that unless something is behind it. No way we don't find out more before the 28th.

I remember seeing Apple stock at $12 and thinking maybe I should get some. OUCH!!!

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
iMac G5 too little too late

Apple should have had the G5 in the iMac when it first came out to increase market share. Given that low end PCs are $400 and run circles around the top G4 iMac, there is no way the iMac or even eMas can compete unless it has a fast G5, and none of this "below 2GHz" BS either. Apple misses another prime opportunity to take the lead in the consumer market.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Wow...if there's no keynote broadcast...there very well may be no iMac updates.

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
Laslo Panaflex said:
That's exactly what I was thinking . . .

And, if you can attach a G5 motherboard to a screen, so it can be mounted to a wall, why can't you put it in a laptop? It doesn't make sense to me, why would you put your computer on your wall? A Tablet like device, I can understand, but a computer that you can hang on a wall, why?

Why? Easy. What better way would there be to put on in the bathroom? :p

M

må¥å

arn said:
story updated.

iMac G5 = Hangable?

arn

Curious does this "Hangable" signify the death of iMac, lets see iMac on a roap ;)

Hell its already white why not.

This new iMac might also have a coffee maker, a TV Tuner, PVR, FM radio, who knows the sky is the limit. j/ks :eek: :)

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
Jesus, not the wireless display and/or headless iMac thing again...

I'm not going to waste a lot of time on debunking it for the umpteenth time, but I will point you people somewhere I've already done it. The current market leaders in that technology are charging over $800-1000 just for a screen that's smaller than the current iMacs, and they don't display video while portable.

Apple is brilliant in their application of technology, but this is a developing industry with a LOT of money behind it. If Phillips can't do it all that cheaply, then what in the world makes people think that a brand new piece of technology from Apple is going to suddenly be less expensive?

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Macrumors said:
Appleinsider posts a possible description of the case design of the new iMac -- described as a "pizza box" with motherboard vertically mounted behind the display.

The last time we had a "Pizza box" mac was the Powermac 6100. Can't quite imagine that as an imac. I wonder if it is going to have a brushed steel exterior...

All will be answered at WWDC. :eek:

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
rog said:
Apple should have had the G5 in the iMac when it first came out to increase market share. Given that low end PCs are $400 and run circles around the top G4 iMac, there is no way the iMac or even eMas can compete unless it has a fast G5, and none of this "below 2GHz" BS either. Apple misses another prime opportunity to take the lead in the consumer market.

I'd love to see a PC that has a 15" flatscreen, and everything else that the iMac comes with, that is $400. Even if there was one, I wouldn't buy it! OSX is worth the extra $$ you are paying for hardware....so who cares if you can buy a cheap piece of crap PC for $400. You can also buy a dodge neon SRT really cheaply that will be as fast as a BMW...but (and repeat after me) THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT MARKETS. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Even if Apple HAD released a G5 iMac at the same time as the G5 PM...how's that going to make people stop buying $400 PC's? Who cares about market share. As long as there are enough Mac users to support the company, and as long as the company turns a profit, I'm happy...because that means it will stay in business and make more insanely great products. Why do you and others out there care how many people use Macs? As long as it doesn't effect 3rd party development or profits...who cares! I'm glad apple doesn't ahve something to compete with $400 PC's...if they did we'd start seeing a lot more viruses for OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.