Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynamooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Summary

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.

So today is the 20th

11 Days, no rumors, will it be just a window 7 support addition or is there other addons in the pipeline.

Anyone hear anything on any grape vine (or apple tree)?

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I asked this a few weeks ago, didn't get a very nice response and i ended up calling someone a tit. The guy had a point though and i'll give you the same info given in a nutshell. Apple only tell us about it when its due for release.

Edit: Thinking about it I'm geussing it will be out after christmas. I can't imagine anyone at Apple will be working hard to get this done during the christmas period.

henhowc

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've been patiently waiting on this too. I'm surprised they didn't have it out at the Windows 7 launch so that they could add it as another bullet point on their holiday Mac sales.

Dynamooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
10 days and counting.

I am excited to see what they have ironed out, I have been impressed with windows 7 so far.

Windows is where I do my real world work, and os x is for having fun, browsing etc..

I use my machine for alot of 3D CAD work on the move, so any improvements all count and its generally quite hardware intensive.

I was wondering if any rumors are circulating about what other improvements maybe be coming with this update.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Summary

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.
Really? I hadn't heard that. Do you have a link to the article where apple promises an update before the end of hte year?

Of course what will happen if they miss that deadline - lawsuits? Of course not. Just wait and it will come when it comes. Personally I found the existing bootcamp drivers work fine

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
Really? I hadn't heard that. Do you have a link to the article where apple promises an update before the end of hte year?

Of course what will happen if they miss that deadline - lawsuits? Of course not. Just wait and it will come when it comes. Personally I found the existing bootcamp drivers work fine

I heard it to and read it on the apple support page posted by apple where the article says its coming before end of year.

Edit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the link, as I mentioned. I had not heard that it was promised by the end of the year.

Of course, apple has in the past blown by dates before and so I think it does not matter that its the 21st of december. I stand by my assessment, they will release it when they do, whether its december 2009 or february 2010.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I don't know about you, but both my Macs (one's being used by my Dad on a regular basis now) are running Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Maybe you are waiting for the official release, but the current drivers that are for Vista work just fine with Windows 7. According to Microsoft themselves, Windows 7 is Vista at it's core. They said that all the stuff that works with Vista should work with 7 because fundamentally, the foundation is still the same.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I'm hoping Apple adds support for the screen dimming service built into Windows 7. Would probably need a driver for the ambient light sensor that would integrate with this service.

Also, I hope they fix the annoying problem on newer MacBook Pro's (and regular MacBooks?) where the keyboard light cannot be shut off. Older MacBooks (and Pro's) had an actual 'off' key, while newer ones only have brightness up and down keys. Pressing the 'down' key when it's at its dimmest setting turns off the light in OS X, but doesn't in Windows.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I'm hoping Apple adds support for the screen dimming service built into Windows 7. Would probably need a driver for the ambient light sensor that would integrate with this service.

Also, I hope they fix the annoying problem on newer MacBook Pro's (and regular MacBooks?) where the keyboard light cannot be shut off. Older MacBooks (and Pro's) had an actual 'off' key, while newer ones only have brightness up and down keys. Pressing the 'down' key when it's at its dimmest setting turns off the light in OS X, but doesn't in Windows.
Well mines recently started having to reinstall the USB drivers each time its switched off, is this because the drivers aren't official and aren't working properly or because i need to reinstall windows 7 for the second time since i've had it?

Malithion

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Florida
My keyboard just stays illuminated on the lowest setting so I can wait. No real big problems with the current bootcamp drivers.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I have windows 7 64bit running flawless on bootcamp, no problems what so ever and no special modifications needed to get it to work.. i just assumed windows 7 was already officially supported as it was so seamless

Dynamooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I would like some fan support. If you are actually doing something on windows 7 you will agree.

Browsing doesnt count.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.