Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammykawook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Hello,
i just got an iphone for Christmas, it was second hand from my Dad and worked fine until i tried to restore it from the settings option on the handset. The restoreing process started and it took ages to move the progress bar a little bit so i canceled the proces by turning the phone off. Now when i try to turn the phone on i get a grey apple logo then it shuts down. I have conected it to several pc's and it just did the same, the computers didn't even pick up the iphone. I have also tried conecting the phone to the charger and still it goes to the grey apple logo then shuts down. The phone worked perfectly before i tried to restore it. I need help pleasee

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Okay, first you can't restore the phone from the phone. You obviously did an "erase all content." At most you would do a "reset all settings." Don't ever click on "erase all content" unless you are giving the phone to Apple for replacement.

Your only option is to a restore in DFU mode (see the link in my sig).

DrChat

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
hi i have the same problem, as i also restored factory settings ,also on 25th, the apple icon just stays on with a loading sign, my phone is jailbrocken, tried the dfu mode but when i was to click the restore button , the notice said it will update, when i got the phone i was warned against software update,i then did nothing, so is there any alternative,pls or ......

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Attempt to hold the Home Button while plugging into USB. Continue holding until you click Restore.

Did either of you have an unlock?

DrChat

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Hi
mine is unlocked, i tried restoring but it said it would update, but i was asked not to press itunes update otherwise the phone would ''mash up''

DrChat

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
its a iphone 3g 8bg, it was unlocked when i got it, i was told not to click on the software update on itunes

zairah

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Iphone 4s not turning on and usb not recognizable to laptop

when i did a reset (holding power button and home button at the same time), afterwards, my phone won't turn on and when i connect it to my laptop again an error will occur "USB not recognized" and even i try connecting my phone to a normal outlet (trying to charge it), it won't show any logo. NOTHING. just pitch black. what can i do to fix this?

luisadastwin

macrumors regular
But you don't even get any sign from the iPhone?
Is it always plain black?
If it is it could be a LOT of different things...

What happens if you connect your iPhone with TinyUmbrella or Redsn0w?

At least does it detect the connected iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.