Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Los Angeles
Im looking for an application to lock (with a password) another application. Ive tried the disk utility method but cmon thats ridiculous. There has to be a simple solutuion. Any suggestions?

audx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Los Angeles
I dont want to create a new user account, there isnt a program that will lock a application? It seems pretty simple

Thunderforge

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
There seems to be a lot of demand for this sort of thing, but no good solutions. Someone could probably make a few bucks if they made a shareware program for it.

Closest thing I can find is DashCrypt, a widget that encrypts files when you drag and drop them. Yes, they're encrypted, which isn't quite the same thing and might cause problems for applications, but it might work.

The other approach I've seen is an old System 7 program that made files hidden with a password. Not too secure (turning on hidden files shows them all), but it was great to keep kids from deleting important things to make way for their new game. I can't remember the name and I highly doubt it's still around, but at least someone's thought of it.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
You could create a password-protected disk image and keep the application stored in it. Then, when wanting to launch the application, the disk image will require a password to access the app.

You could even go as far as creating an alias to the application stored in the disk image, and when double-clicking the alias, it will automatically open the disk image and request the password.

audx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Los Angeles
jease these days they have apps that will put your dam clothes on for you but they cant even make a app that locks another app with a password? seems simple...

jelmerjt

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Zwolle, NL
Espionage does what you want. It costs 25 dollars, but it's pretty stable and does the job. You can choose which software you want to encrypt (and accompanying folders), and when you've set it all up, a password prompt will appear each time you want to open one or more of the programs you protected. Simply imput the password and you gain access. Once you quit a program, Espionage will lock it, so that when you want to regain access, you'll have to re-enter the password.

Here's the link: http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

audx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Los Angeles
Espionage does what you want. It costs 25 dollars, but it's pretty stable and does the job. You can choose which software you want to encrypt (and accompanying folders), and when you've set it all up, a password prompt will appear each time you want to open one or more of the programs you protected. Simply imput the password and you gain access. Once you quit a program, Espionage will lock it, so that when you want to regain access, you'll have to re-enter the password.

Here's the link: http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

i like your stlye my friend

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.