Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Just caught Waters of Mars here on this side of the Atlantic BBC pisses me off sometimes because the long delays between what you guys in the UK get and what we get a month after....you guys are not still pissed about that whole revolutionary war thing we had are you? LOL

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just caught Waters of Mars here on this side of the Atlantic BBC pisses me off sometimes because the long delays between what you guys in the UK get and what we get a month after....you guys are not still pissed about that whole revolutionary war thing we had are you? LOL

Or the American shows, films and games we get months later? LAL

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Or the American shows, films and games we get months later? LAL

It's almost as if trade between the US and the UK is still being conducted by wooden ships and sails doesn't it?--I wonder when that next batch of slaves will arrive? My barrels of rum are losing profit sitting there on the dock.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Rather splendid and abstract if you ask me. Didn't like him revisiting old companions though, especially Billie Piper. Just when you think you're safe from her :mad:.
When it showed the Cactus spaceship me and teh girlfriend turned to each other... "Starbug" :D. It really was.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed Tennant's/Davies's send off.

However, and despite his splendid "I'm a girl" entrance, I remain to be convinced by the new Doctor!

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Geronimo? Really? That's his catch phrase? I guess we will have to wait and see.
When it showed the Cactus spaceship me and the girlfriend turned to each other... "Starbug" :D. It really was.
Me too.

Went a little John Woo there in the middle. All that scene was missing was some slow motion footage of doves. Not as bad as part one though. Origin of the Weeping Angels and who was really knocking in the prophecy got me pretty good. I also didn't care much for all the tacked on last minute cameos. Reminded me of the series 4 finale though I did like the lonely man ending of that one.

So new year, new doctor, new tardis, new logo, new catch phrase, and new... music? Different style there at the very end. Hope that's not his new theme. I liked the Doctor's theme these last 4 series.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Geronimo? Really? That's his catch phrase? I guess we will have to wait and see.
Given that he repeats it in the trailer for the upcoming series, it would certainly seem so.

The trailer also features... ...the Weeping Angels, Daleks (with what seems to be a modified design), girly vampires, what appears to be a couple of Silurians (the next classic monsters to return?), River Song, and our first fleeting glimpses of the new Tardis Interior - as well as the modified exterior that we've alreday seen from set photos. Oh, and there seems to be a fair bit of running involved too.

This might be interesting...

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
It was Starbug, the bar scene with Captain Jack was a little Star Wars Cantina...
So who shot first - Jack or Alonso? :p

On the subject of other sci-fi seeping in, the glass pods reminded me of Spock's demise in The Wrath of Khan. And the gun pod sequence owed more than a little to the similar scene in Star Wars where the Millennium Falcon is escaping the Death Star...

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
However, and despite his splendid "I'm a girl" entrance, I remain to be convinced by the new Doctor!

Meh, that always happens. ;) There were loads of people wailing that David Tennant was going to be just horrible and it was the end of Doctor Who. It's happened with all the others too.... Looking around the webs a bit, I see a number of people claiming they are done with the show. I LOL @ these people. :D 99% of them will be back within a few episodes, as usual.

And the gun pod sequence owed more than a little to the similar scene in Star Wars where the Millennium Falcon is escaping the Death Star...

Luke Cribbins! I laughed at that, but I have to admit it was pretty great too.

--Eric

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
On the subject of other sci-fi seeping in, the glass pods reminded me of Spock's demise in The Wrath of Khan. And the gun pod sequence owed more than a little to the similar scene in Star Wars where the Millennium Falcon is escaping the Death Star...

Both very much so. Although Spock actually did it for real. And for the good of many, not as in this case, the good of one :p

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Meh, that always happens. ;) There were loads of people wailing that David Tennant was going to be just horrible and it was the end of Doctor Who. It's happened with all the others too...
Indded, there's always a fair bit of handwringing about the new choice of actor, and this time is no different. From what I've heard, Smith is a bit more subdued than the more bombastic Tennant, which if this is the case I'm pleased about.

However the role is being played though, you can never draw any conclusions from the first post-regeneration scenes. The Doctor's usuallly a bit erratic - he's rubbish at this regeneration lark. :p

And he's still not ginger...

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Regeneration is one the big reasons why I love Doctor Who. Sad to see Tennant go, but I cannot wait for the Smith era!!!!

Sarah Jane said it best:

"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends."

w00master

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Also;
Who designs a control system for something that vents nasty gases right onto the user? And taking about gases on the close up shots you can clearly see gaps between the glass. And if Wilf really didn't want the Doctor so save him, after that talk about how "anything might set it off" why didn't Wilf just hit some buttons and take the radiation himself? AND Wilf=Wolf=Bad Wolf?

"I don't want to go!"
Then why did you Tennant :p

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I've staunchly avoided being one of the Davies-haters for a long time, but while I enjoyed the pair of episodes overall, I thought all those scenes after the plot was resolved were excessively drawn out, maudlin, and painfully self-indulgent. It just kept going. Finally, after years of giving Davies a break because it's only Doctor Who, it was in those final scenes he made me really glad to see the back of him.

Perhaps Moffat won't mistake the Doctor for Jesus quite so often.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I waited till I got to see the last one before posting so I didn't spoil it for myself I didn't realize 007 was a time lord too then again it kinda makes sense just look how many dudes played James Bond LOL

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
I was kinda thinkin how cool it would be to bring back the brigadier at least once for ***** and giggles, and maybe figure out a way to bring back Adrick for a little while those were a pair of fascinating characters.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
I was kinda thinkin how cool it would be to bring back the brigadier at least once for ***** and giggles, and maybe figure out a way to bring back Adrick for a little while those were a pair of fascinating characters.

The Brigadier appeared in season 2 of the Sarah Jane adventures last year...
as for Adrick well that would be a bit more difficult

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
The Brigadier appeared in season 2 of the Sarah Jane adventures last year...
as for Adrick well that would be a bit more difficult

Yah I know but not in a spin off honestly I thought Sarah Jane was kinda terrible as a spin to me, Torchwood I like though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.