Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
The usual snore. I can't stand all the backslapping and the faux-emotional moments, RTD's greatest contribution to Who.

A relatable character isn't someone who goes through the same things as you: losing their job, eating chops, whatever. A relatable character is someone who experiences something that gives you special insight into your own life.

Like Mr. Shard, I'm looking forward to the master.

(no pun intended)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
A relatable character isn't someone who goes through the same things as you: losing their job, eating chops, whatever. A relatable character is someone who experiences something that gives you special insight into your own life.

Very well said, and quite true.

Marble said:
Like Mr. Shard, I'm looking forward to the master.

(no pun intended)

It's easy to tell the two apart - one is referred to with a capital "M", the other is not. ;) Although what a twist it would be if the latter appeared as the former's next incarnation on screen! :eek: ;) :D

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
I enjoyed it
much better that the last couple of Xmas specials
even Lee Evans wasn't that annoying
looked really good in HD at last

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Doctor Who's new companion unveiled as 21-year-old Karen Gillan

Gillan, who has previously appeared in Doctor Who as a soothsayer in 2008 episode The Fires Of Pompeii, as well as in Rebus and The Kevin Bishop Show, will join Smith for the new series of the hit sci fi drama, which begins filming this summer and will air on BBC1 in spring next year.

However, the BBC has not yet revealed what her character will be called.

Smith, the 11th Time Lord, was announced as David Tennant's replacement in January. However, Tennant will still be seen in the role in three further Doctor Who specials that will air between autumn and the end of the year, as well as two episodes of spin-off show The Sarah Jane Adventures.

The BBC said Gillan beat off dozens of hopefuls to land the role as the new companion. She follows in the footsteps of Billie Piper, Freema Agyeman and Catherine Tate as the Doctor's most recent sidekicks since BBC1's successful revival of the show over four series since 2005.

"I am absolutely over the moon at being chosen to play the Doctor's new companion," Gillan said. "The show is such a massive phenomenon that I can't quite believe I am going to be a part of it.

"Matt Smith is an incredible actor and it is going to be so much fun to act alongside him – I just can't wait to get started."

The show's new lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, who is replacing Russell T Davies, said: "We saw some amazing actresses for this part, but when Karen came through the door the game was up. Funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/29/doctor-who-karen-gillan

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I'm getting a Bella Twilight vibe (saw the movie, no I didn't read the books). Is she younger than Billie was when she started? They really are skewing to the young demographic.

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
I saw that [new companion announcement] on the news today and my first thought was "They're pulling a Martha Jones!" (or a Gwen Cooper) :D

Gosh darn, it's a small world. Everyone's a cousin or sister or descendent of everyone else. ;)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Like the new Doctor himself, she's a little on the young side but we'll see how she gets on soon enough.

No word yet on the actual character of course, but I had heard a rumour a while back that they were looking at a 'non-contemporary' companion, perhaps one from Victorian times. It would certainly be an interesting departure from the 'early 20th century London girl' model they've gone with since they brought the series back. ;)

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Like the new Doctor himself, she's a little on the young side but we'll see how she gets on soon enough.

No word yet on the actual character of course, but I had heard a rumour a while back that they were looking at a 'non-contemporary' companion, perhaps one from Victorian times. It would certainly be an interesting departure from the 'early 20th century London girl' model they've gone with since they brought the series back. ;)

Based on the Beeb's photoshop-style publicity photo, I think that theory can be safely laid to rest alongside other good rumors like "The Fires of Pompeii will be a pure historical." They must think the fact that she's Scottish makes her alien enough. ;)

I'm willing to give Moffat the benefit of my doubts because he is a genius. He's done work for actors in this age range before (Press Gang), and produced some of the best drama ever made on television for a young adult audience. And most of all: because I really want it to be good, and if it's going to become more than soap in space it's now or never.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Doctor Who film?

Speculation is rife that Doctor Who star David Tennant will use a visit to this month's Comic-Con event to announce the launch of a big-screen outing for the intrepid Time Lord.

Tennant is scheduled to attend the annual fan convention in California alongside Russell T Davies, the man behind Doctor Who's hugely successful revival on the small screen.

In the meantime, Davies has been dropping heavy hints about a "special project" to Doctor Who Magazine. "News as and when – but I can promise it's worth waiting for," he said. For good measure, the BBC has already confirmed that a Doctor Who feature is "in development".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jul/09/doctor-who-comic-con

Reports suggest that outgoing Doctor Who David Tennant and former executive producer Russell T. Davies are headed to Comic-Con together for the first time to announce production of a new Doctor Who movie.

Tennant has been hinting around at a new sci-fi project he’s involved with but can’t openly discuss. And, a movie would explain why he walked away from the TV show at the peak of its (and his) popularity. Tennant could go on playing The Doctor in big screen adventures while Matt Smith continues the tradition on TV.

Stay tuned as Comic-Con approaches.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/07/tennant-could-bring-who-movie-news-to-comic-con/

http://www.comic-con.org/

I'd be vaguely tempted to see a Doctor Who movie if the reviews were any good and if it wasn't solely aimed at kids.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Hmm, I really don't know. Just about everything about Doctor Who lends itself to episodic content. Who movies have never been all that great (which isn't to say it can't be done, but...). I cringe at the thought of Doctor Who becoming even more bombastic than it already is.

As for Tennant in movies while Smith is on the box... hmm. It's a clever idea - a bit like the Star Trek movies - but it would be confusing. Two different actors not only playing the same character, but simultaneously?

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
First shot of Matt Smith in costume
200709who.jpg

um tweedy:rolleyes:
Series 5 Filming starts today

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hmm, different. Different is good.

Unless its bad different, like this is.
Between this and now Futurama dropping the original voice cast I'm probably not going to have much TV to watch next year :eek:.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Surely this photo hasn't made up your mind? For all we know, the costume is episode-specific. Anyway, from my point of view, any deviation from Davies's brand is a good sign.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Well, the BBC have a story stating this is the new outfit, so I guess this is the new outfit!

Surely this photo hasn't made up your mind? For all we know, the costume is episode-specific.
I'd be very surprised if that's the case, to be honest – the programme makers have said before that it's preferable if the Doctor is wearing an easily recognisable outfit – that way, he's easy to spot in crowds and in scenes where there are lots of folk running about.

However, I'd fully expect this outfit to be modified from story to story... a different colour bow tie, a fresh shirt, and maybe an overcoat if it's a bit nippy – in a similar fashion to Ten's different suits and shirts, and nine's mix and match jumpers. Eleven may even dispense with the tie on occasion, say for example if he's got a sweat on hurriedly trying to reverse the polarity of something or other.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Bring back intimidatingly authoritative older dudes like Pertwee.
I think the producers would baulk at that idea, anticipating the complaints when an intimidating authoritative older dude like Pertwee has to snog Billie Piper in the end of season finale.

I know what you mean though, this is the first Doctor who is younger than me. Still, I suppose I only need to start seriously worrying when Davros starts looking younger than me...

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
very new looking TARDIS?
Or a very old one, depending on your point of view – it has a St. John's Ambulance sticker on the door and white window frames, as in the very early episodes.

It looks like Moffat is favouring a back to basics approach for his Tardis – I remember a little in-joke about the Tardis windows being wrong in Blink, one of the episodes he penned a couple of series back. Interesting – I wonder if this means there'll be changes with the interior, too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.