Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Hey all,

How many out there use their SD card slot on a consistent basis? I know I don't.

How many would like to see an additional USB port or the express 34 slot, again?

Habitus :apple:

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Meh...I bought a card reader for $10 bucks. I used it once and doubt I will have a need again anytime soon.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I don't have much use for it, but with a lot of consumer cameras going with SD these days I can see why they put it in.

A lot of consumer cameras caome with cables that connect via USB.
Some people are using SD cards as storage.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I can't see why anyone would want a SD card slot in place of an Express Card Slot. An express card slot gives your machine a lot of flexibility. A SD card slot is only good for one thing.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I think I would prefer the express card slot, don't really use the SD slot... but I guess people who do a lot of digital pictures would.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I can't see why they put it in the 15", when an ExpressCard slot is more versatile.

That's why I rushed to get an early 2009 on closeout when the new crap was announced.

And if I cared, I'll even be able to pop in an SDXC card reader, HA!

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
some 12" laptops have an SD slot, 4 USB ports, eSATA, and an express card port. I'd like to see all of that.

Me, too. I'd also like to see Apple reintroduce the express 34 slot. Thoughts?

I don't have much use for it, but with a lot of consumer cameras going with SD these days I can see why they put it in.

I definitely see your point and I agree that I have absolutely no use (for now, at least) for the slot and would much rather see the added versatility of another USB port.

I can't see why anyone would want a SD card slot in place of an Express Card Slot. An express card slot gives your machine a lot of flexibility. A SD card slot is only good for one thing.

I fully agree. The express 34 brings way more flexibility and the option to use open-ended technology. While I cannot live without my 13" MBP, Apple took a step back, in my humble opinion.

I can't see why they put it in the 15", when an ExpressCard slot is more versatile.

That's why I rushed to get an early 2009 on closeout when the new crap was announced.

And if I cared, I'll even be able to pop in an SDXC card reader, HA!

Laugh it up, funny man! Seriously, though, good decision. Enjoy your express reader :(

Falk3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I am excited to snag a MBP w/ SD Card slot. I've been shooting to SD exclusively for a while now (Nikon, DSLRs) and it's easier for me to use the card than fumble around with a cable (cable storage, cable de-tangling, cable mating, camera transfer mode, etc).

SD FTW!

Also, how much more room does an Expresscard slot take than an SD Card slot?
Answer: Express/34 is 34mm wide, SD is 24mm wide. Hmmm....

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I haven't used express card slot so far. My thoughts what I could do with it and why I am not using it:

1 Flash card reader.
- According to my knowledge there is no card reader which is flush with a body. Either a part of reader sticks out or a card doesn't insert in full length. Besides the only cards I use are CF and SD with a leaning towards 100% SD card use.

2 Esata port.
-This is nice feature, but I am quite satisfied with FW800.

3 express card based hard drive.
Cheaper ones are slow (I think they based on usb technology). New ones either expensive or have problems with heat or both.

So in my personal opinion SD card slot (flush and spring loaded) would be much more better thing that express card slot. Esata port also is not bad option.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I am excited to snag a MBP w/ SD Card slot. I've been shooting to SD exclusively for a while now (Nikon, DSLRs) and it's easier for me to use the card than fumble around with a cable (cable storage, cable de-tangling, cable mating, camera transfer mode, etc).

SD FTW!

I definitely see what you mean. Excuse my ignorance, but there is no difference, in terms of image quality, between storing images on an SD card and transferring images via USB, right?

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
MBP Downgraded

I'm sure Apple saves money by not having a removable battery, not having 400 FW, and (above all) not having an express slot (which will accommodate a SD reader as well as lots of other things) on the new MBP. Also by charging extra for a matte screen. My 2.5ghz pennryn non-unibody MBP has all these things and is, I think, a better value than the new unibodies, especially since I just bought it and it cost me 1/2 of what a new machine would cost. The advantage to the new machines are 1. magnetic latch, 2. take up to 8 gb RAM (mine will take 6), 3. longer battery life (which may actually be a disadvantage), and 4. graphics chip that apparently is slower but less susceptible to failure than the 8600.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I haven't used express card slot so far. My thoughts what I could do with it and why I am not using it:

1 Flash card reader.
- According to my knowledge there is no card reader which is flush with a body. Either a part of reader sticks out or a card doesn't insert in full length. Besides the only cards I use are CF and SD with a leaning towards 100% SD card use.

2 Esata port.
-This is nice feature, but I am quite satisfied with FW800.

3 express card based hard drive.
Cheaper ones are slow (I think they based on usb technology). New ones either expensive or have problems with heat or both.

So in my personal opinion SD card slot (flush and spring loaded) would be much more better thing that express card slot. Esata port also is not bad option.

Those are great points. However, disregarding the physical dimensions, wouldn't the open-ended technology of express outweigh the benefits of an SD card?

Falk3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
there is no difference, in terms of image quality, between storing images on an SD card and transferring images via USB, right?

Right, it's all just 0's and 1's no matter where you store it, or how you transfer it. Infact, it might be faster to transfer via SD Card than thru USB 2.0. Let me dig into that...

... d'oh! It'll be the same either way. The camera is just acting as an external SD Card adapter when using a USB cable for transfer.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Those are great points. However, disregarding the physical dimensions, wouldn't the open-ended technology of express outweigh the benefits of an SD card?

There IS at least one SD reader which sits flush in the ExpressCard slot. Downgrading the Macs to SD makes ZERO sense.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Right, it's all just 0's and 1's no matter where you store it, or how you transfer it. Infact, it might be faster to transfer via SD Card than thru USB 2.0. Let me dig into that...

Thanks for checking that out and thanks for not taking advantage of my ignorance :D

I'm interested in the results!

I'm sure Apple saves money by not having a removable battery, not having 400 FW, and (above all) not having an express slot (which will accommodate a SD reader as well as lots of other things) on the new MBP. Also by charging extra for a matte screen. My 2.5ghz pennryn non-unibody MBP has all these things and is, I think, a better value than the new unibodies, especially since I just bought it and it cost me 1/2 of what a new machine would cost. The advantage to the new machines are 1. magnetic latch, 2. take up to 8 gb RAM (mine will take 6), 3. longer battery life (which may actually be a disadvantage), and 4. graphics chip that apparently is slower but less susceptible to failure than the 8600.

I agree, the pre-unibody MBP have way more value. Especially, given that, they have 6 (3 USB, FW400, FW 800, and express) ports. I definitely vote for the reintroduction of the express in the 13."

DavidG328

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I didn't care about the SD card slot, as my digi cam is a Sony...so no SD there. But then I realized my Samsung phone could use a miniSD, so I went and picked one up with an adapter. Now I can make my own ringtones, transfer the pictures to my comp easier, etc...

But it sounds like this express card may have been the way to go.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I use it often to transfer images from my camera, mobile apps, data and music to my phone, loops from the loop-station. Most devices come with a USB cable. Though, when they run out of battery you have no way to transfer the pictures you shot or an attachment you saved in your phone.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
i use mine all the time.

my cameras all use SD cards and i have a micro sd card to sd adapter for my phones.

i love not having to carry a reader or extra cables for my cameras.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
What DSLR uses SD? I know most use CF cards. Point & Shoots use SD. I have no use whatsoever for the SD slot, and wish I had either an extra usb or a CF slot instead..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.