Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nopstnz8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Hey guys I am looking to see if anyone knows a better sound driver for Windows 7? The quality of the one the system automatically installs sucks, so I'm looking for an alternative. I'm running 32-bit right now, but plan to wipe my 32-bit partition and do a clean install of 64-bit, so drivers for both systems would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nopstnz8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
What do you mean by better sound driver? Is there a problem with the sound?

Well obviously if I am posting this. The quality is very low end compared to how it sounds on OSX. I believe I am using the Cirrus Audio driver for Windows XP, but can't figure out how to upgrade it to something with higher quality. I tried using the ones from the Snow Leopard install disc, but am pretty sure I am doing something wrong installing it. If someone could help me with the procedure for this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I don't think you're installing it wrong. It's just that the Apple drivers for windows are crippled, probably intentionally. Apple has no motivation to make the windows experience good.

Well obviously if I am posting this. The quality is very low end compared to how it sounds on OSX. I believe I am using the Cirrus Audio driver for Windows XP, but can't figure out how to upgrade it to something with higher quality. I tried using the ones from the Snow Leopard install disc, but am pretty sure I am doing something wrong installing it. If someone could help me with the procedure for this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

You could try the generic HD drivers http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.