Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenlander

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
This has been a pretty regular problem for me w/ my iPhone when I'm own my home WiFi: desktop and laptop connect to IMAP mail server(s) fine, but when iPhone tries to it gets the

Cannot Get Mail
The connection to the server <mail server hostname> failed.

Now I'm getting this without exception on my iPad. On the iPhone, I can get around it by switching to 3G, but not on this WiFi-only iPad.

I've tried increasing the max connections per IP on the IMAP server in question, but that's had no effect. I've searched high and low on Google and other forums and there's TONS of threads on this/similar issues -- but no solutions.

Maybe I'll get lucky here. Anyone know anything?

Argo

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Manchester, UK
I had a similar problem back on my old 3g. I couldn't access my mail unless i switched to 3g. I can't actually remember how i fixed it :p

i *THINK* i deleted the mail account and set it up again as a new one. Try it and see how you get on ;)

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
I'm having trouble with this too. Infuriating and they don't give you any useful information in the error message. :confused:

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
No problems on iPhone here with any of my mail accounts?

Whats your email provider?

Neither of my Gmail accounts are working; they deliver the "the connection to the server "imap.gmail.com" failed." message.

Exchange and POP accounts work properly though.

billycane697

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I've been having the same problem. I have my iphone set up on an exchange and it kept saying "Failed to connect to the server". I read what everyone else did, turned off the wi-fi and sure enough, it updated my inbox just fine...so where does the problem lie?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.