Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vader26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Seattle
Umm, is this supposed to be for all new models?

My new i5 Macbook Pro still uses the 11 character "old" format.

Hirth

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
They took an 11 character code and added 1 character to 2 fields, which would make it 13 characters and then shrunk down a third field by 1 character and changed a fourth field to compensate for that reduction making it 12 characters. Could anyone at Apple be Triskaidekaphobic? :)

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Does this change by Apple have even a very small relationship to the Adobe CS3 / Apple computer serial number "situation" where certain serial numbers on Mac logic boards will not load CS3…?:confused::confused:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
interesting, hopefully people won't care because there won't be any yellow tint or another misc. issues

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't understand how this is news at all; in any case my i7 15" still has an 11-digit serial number.

jonaseeriksson

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Can't see why people don't find this interesting. Knowing how to decipher the serial number, amongst other things allows you to see how many units apple produces each week. The week before the release of new MBPs, for example, one could easily see that Apple had ceased producing the old models, which made it obvious that new models were arriving.

So, it IS interesting!

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Wow guys, a 10 paragraph essay on a slight change in the serial number? Come on! I'm not saying this this news is pointless or useless, it's just amazing you guys could write so much.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I think this new serial number proves that they're going to be releasing a new MBP 16" model to fill in the gap between the small 15 and too large 17. This new model is going to offer a processor never seen before in this industry. I'm totally going to cancel my order for my new MBP and wait for this new one.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
I'm very disappointed with this news. Surely with all of Apple's vaunted designers, they could come up with a serial number that was only 3 or 4 characters long, rather than the bloated monstrosities they have now.

I mean, for Christ's sake, even *Dell* manages to have serial numbers that are only 6-8 characters long!

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I dunno why there's so much whining here?! I liked the news... Even not everyone needs or wants to know it, just don't read it... Some people actually wanna know these things ;)

No, no, no Hachre...logic isn't allowed in forum discussions.

calebz

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Hmm?

Not enthralling news, yes, but the Mac look-up link is very useful for those either buying or selling Macs.

Of course, "knowledge is power!", so that means it makes it HARDER for unscrupulous sellers try to take advantage of users by making the selling Mac appear newer or not refurbished. I'm keeping this chart on my MacBook Pro for future refrence! :D

Attachments

• 72c6cm.jpg
    72c6cm.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 3,559

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Hmm?

Not enthralling news, yes, but the Mac look-up link is very useful for those either buying or selling Macs.

Of course, "knowledge is power!", so that means it makes it HARDER for unscrupulous sellers try to take advantage of users by making the selling Mac appear newer or not refurbished. I'm keeping this chart on my MacBook Pro for future refrence! :D

your attached chart doesn't seem to be completely accurate. last year i bought a refurbished MacBook and the first 3 digits of my serial are 739, whereas according to your chart it should read RM9.

[EDIT] however, when i enter my serial number into appleserialnumber.com it returns that it indeed is a refurbished mac.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hmm?

Thanks for the attachment.

WDUK

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Aww damn, I didn't get a chance to read it, did I miss anything good? :p

It's not cached anywhere either...

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Hmm?

Well that should shut up everyone that didn't think the information needed to be posted. :rolleyes:

Yes, we need more secrets... Anything that makes Apple headquarters uncomfortable belongs on this site.

Aww damn, I didn't get a chance to read it, did I miss anything good? :p

It's not cached anywhere either...

See the quoted post above.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Complete Resolution to All Comments on This Topic

Apparently you've been waiting for me to weigh in on this issue, so that we can all reach a consensus and achieve uniformity of opinion on this issue. We agree that there are too many differing viewpoints, and if only everyone heard our voice we could reduce or eliminate the cacophony. So here goes:

1. Information is power. Thus, knowing about these serial numbers has at least some non-zero utility.

2. Trivia is in the eye of the beholder. It may not be important to you, but it may be important, or more likely useful, to someone else.

3. Snark is more entertaining than information. But if your entire diet is snark, you will die of information-starvation.

4. Apple asked for this information to be removed? WTF? Seriously?

5. MacRumors complied with Apple's request? WTF? Seriously?

calebz

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for securing the Walled Garden! Strenghting the grout lines

So will everymac.com have to comply, too, since it seems to give away too many Apple trade secrets? All that graph is is an outdated form of what MR put up today and so gutlessly removed "at request of Apple". :cool:

edit: I'm glad there's underground Mac sites that will help my chart live on to provide help for others. ;)

calebz

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
You're right, they should have risked legal action for a story that no one seemed to care about.

Apple sure seems to care if they contacted this site to remove it. ;)

PS I rated this article a negative for the obvious reason (after post-scrub).

Man, must be nice for Apple to flex it's muscles like this and give M.R. a "Silkwood"-like scrub! :cool:

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
This story being yanked perfectly sums up why people think Steve Jobs is a genius with a screw loose! :D

He was probably unable to sleep all night thinking that the "Designed by Apple in California" slogan was coming under fire from people who found out the damn thing was MADE IN CHINA! LOL

Too funny. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.