Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I was browsing the iPad iTunes store and noticed Shazam and some other apps requiring audio input. Does the iPad have a built in microphone?

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Nope, the mic is activated after educating yourself instead of just asking here. Life is harder when you can't catch your own fish.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Yesterday in class, I was using Sundry Notes to take notes. I decided to give the recording feature a try. I noticed that it would keep recording until I double clicked on it. I wonder if I could have kept typing and still recorded the lecture (though it bet it would sound funny with me typing while it was making an audio recording :eek:).

I didn't play it back because I didn't want to disturb my classmates. I'll give it a listen when I get a chance.

So yes, the iPad does have a mic.

BTW, there is nothing lazy about asking a question in a forum. People come here to get answers not scolding.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Nope, the mic is activated after educating yourself instead of just asking here. Life is harder when you can't catch your own fish.
Sorry, I have read a lot about it on Apple, Cnet, etc. Never observed any detailing on a mic. I didn't assume there would be one implicated on the device because without a camera there did not seem to be much application.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Sorry, I have read a lot about it on Apple, Cnet, etc. Never observed any detailing on a mic. I didn't assume there would be one implicated on the device because without a camera there did not seem to be much application.

From the iPad specifications page:

Input and output

Dock connector port
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Built-in speaker
Microphone
Micro-SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

boylecf

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012

I'm embarrassed for the person who wrote this. How would you like it if I told you that you're an idiot when you were honestly try to learn about something that I know a lot about? Granted, there are times when someone needs to be corrected, but correction works a lot better when it is done with respect.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I'm embarrassed for the person who wrote this. How would you like it if I told you that you're an idiot when you were honestly try to learn about something that I know a lot about? Granted, there are times when someone needs to be corrected, but correction works a lot better when it is done with respect.

I'm embarrassed for you, not realizing that you were chastising someone for something they said nearly two years ago, which they've probably long since forgotten about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.