Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
Hi
I like my Hard Drive folder in the upper-right corner of my desktop, and it never stays there. Every time I log back into my account, it's somewhere else like below some other folders. It makes me mad, can anyone help? Thanks:)

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Have you got any other icons near the top right corner? Try moving them away, and see what happens.

AFAIK, the system remembers the exact positions of any folders and files on your desktop, but not disks, cds etc. When you log in, it puts the folders and files in the exact position that they were, and then places disks in the most top-right position it can find. So then, if you have folder/icons near the top-right corner, it will place your hard drive icon somewhere else.

mfarley

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
HexMonkey said:
Have you got any other icons near the top right corner? Try moving them away, and see what happens.

AFAIK, the system remembers the exact positions of any folders and files on your desktop, but not disks, cds etc. When you log in, it puts the folders and files in the exact position that they were, and then places disks in the most top-right position it can find. So then, if you have folder/icons near the top-right corner, it will place your hard drive icon somewhere else.

To the best of my knowledge there is no option to 'remember' or stick icons to an affixed grid. Is that correct?

This happens all the time on my iBook and it drives me nuts. Rarely does it remember the placement of my icons (3) and I have to re-arrange them everytime.

Rather annoying.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
On the occasional machines this happens on, I turn on "Keep arranged by Kind" in the Desktop custom view options. It takes some getting used to, but it at least guarantees that your disks/partitions will always show up in the top right.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I've never had a problem with my boot drive moving, but when I used to have the FileVault turned on, I noticed that I would start getting duplicate "ghost" copies of folders on my desktop. That is, I would see two copies of a file or folder, but if I trashed one, they both went away. If I moved one, they generally both moved randomly. Eventually I just turned off FileVault and it all went away. Weird.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
mfarley said:
To the best of my knowledge there is no option to 'remember' or stick icons to an affixed grid. Is that correct?

You can align to a grid:
Click on the Desktop
Go to View... Show View Options ( or hit Command-J)
Check "Snap to Grid"

Lee Tom

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
The other thing you can do (at least I think you can, it worked under OS 9) was to record a script while you position your icons where you want them. Save the script and run it at login (or double-click it) and it should reposition them automatically.

cpjakes

mfarley

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
LeeTom said:
You can align to a grid:
Click on the Desktop
Go to View... Show View Options ( or hit Command-J)
Check "Snap to Grid"

Lee Tom

Will see if this helps any, thanks. =)

cpjakes-

Will give it a go if the alignment doesn't work.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
A HD isn't a permanent folder it's dynamically added every time you log back in, which probably will means at the end of the line where new stuff would drop onto the desktop.

If you don't want the HD to move, don't let it appear on the desktop (Finder Preferences) and use an alias to stick the HD where you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.