Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
how do you stop the iPod from playing in the middle of the song? I've only been able to stop it from playing by pushing fast forward til the end of the playlist..

I have the 4G 20GB.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Not having the pockets to have bought an iPod, I could guess that the answer to this question would be found in the documentation that came with it. :eek:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
well, you could always check out the quick reference guide, or then again there's the user's manual. or the itunes help. then again there's good ol' common sense. THE PAUSE BUTTON!!!!!
apple_ipod_3g.jpg

apple-ipod-mini-i1.gif

ipod3.jpg

ipod_2G.jpg

Edit: outthere761 beat me to it, cause i had to get the images and draw on them...

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
yeah, the pause button. although i do kinda wish there was a stop button. it would be nice to be able to stop the ipod without having to put it on pause. sometimes i would like to stop everything and leave it on menu.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
FuzzyBallz said:
It's no secret iPods don't come w/ a stop nor on/off button. The idea is people never turn their music off.

I call it the "livn' the beat" lifestyle. :cool:

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
homerjward said:
well, you could always check out the quick reference guide, or then again there's the user's manual. or the itunes help. then again there's good ol' common sense.

You noticed how I said "stop it from playing"...common sense would tell you that I wasn't refering to pausing it, you ass! But thanks for taking the time to draw up the pics. Why don't you draw me a picture that answers my question!?!?! How do you stop it from playing?!?!?!

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
KingSleaze said:
Not having the pockets to have bought an iPod, I could guess that the answer to this question would be found in the documentation that came with it. :eek:

Well, when you finally can get your broke ass an iPod, you'll see the manual doesn't specifically say what the stop button is.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Natalia81 said:
You noticed how I said "stop it from playing"...common sense would tell you that I wasn't refering to pausing it, you ass! But thanks for taking the time to draw up the pics. Why don't you draw me a picture that answers my question!?!?! How do you stop it from playing?!?!?!

The diagrams are right. Just press and hold on to pause.

stoid

macrumors 601
Rather than FF through all the song to the end of the playlist, you could go to the playlist itself, scroll to the bottom, hit play on the last song, and the hit the FF button once. It should automatically go to the main menu then. Of course, that won't work at all if you have it in shuffle mode.

If you just pause the song and tap the menu button a few times, it should go back to, and stay on the main menu.

Maybe I am misreading your question. Are you instead wanting one button that will stop the current song, and take you back to the main menu so that you can go to another playlist/artist/whatever?

I've never really thought about that. I guess it's not something I would use regularly as I use my iPod mainly for Audio Books and long playlists on road-trips. I understand this usefulness though.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Natalia81 said:

im sorry, i thought meant just stop the music

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
Theres no need for a stop, not when you have a pause button, because it does exactly the same thing. (except with a stop button you would never be able to start from where you left of) Because the two buttons do nearly the same thing its stupid to have both, its minimal design that not only looks better but makes it easier to use. Holding the button stops, so Apple created a simpler device.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Natalia81 said:

If you want to get techincal about it.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=pause&x=15&y=15

Main Entry: pause

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin pausa, from Greek pausis, from pauein to stop
1 : a temporary stop

Pausing implies stopping, so he was correct in pointing the glaring pause button.

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2003
California
stevehaslip said:
Theres no need for a stop, not when you have a pause button, because it does exactly the same thing. (except with a stop button you would never be able to start from where you left of) Because the two buttons do nearly the same thing its stupid to have both, its minimal design that not only looks better but makes it easier to use. Holding the button stops, so Apple created a simpler device.

No, holding the button puts the device into sleep mode. Sleep mode does not deselect the current song, either. Thus...

There IS a reason for a Stop function. For example, if I want to have my iPod randomly play songs from my entire library, I go to "Browse" and push Play (without going deeper into the menus). However, if I have a song paused when I do this, all it does is un-pause the current song, rather than selecting a random song from my library to start playing. A "Stop" feature would de-select the current song and allow me to push Play on my Browse menu and start a random cycle of my library.

As far as I know, there is no way to de-select a currently playing song other than to specifically choose a different song.

If I'm wrong about this, I welcome someone to point out how as I'd love to be able to do this.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Between stop and pause it comes down to one thing. Laziness. When you hit pause it stops the music. I'm sure if there was a stop button it wouldn't take you anywhere else in the menu but just leave the current song selected. Pause is essentially stop, but better. Honestly this is too ridiculous to even be discussing as if you're complaining about something as fickle as this you shouldn't even own one.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
They are correct Natalia, there is not "stop" button. Pause = stop.
If you would like to put your iPod to sleep, you can hold down the play/pause button for 3 seconds. This is more of a stop than a pause, but even if you just pause it, it will sleep after a minute or so anyway.

Lee Tom

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
LeeTom said:
They are correct Natalia, there is not "stop" button. Pause = stop.
If you would like to put your iPod to sleep, you can hold down the play/pause button for 3 seconds. This is more of a stop than a pause, but even if you just pause it, it will sleep after a minute or so anyway.

Lee Tom

Well, that is all I wanted to know. At the time I didn't think it would go into sleep in a pause state. That is why I asked. I didn't think I'd get such smart ass responses. And I guess if they wanna be so technical about it, I guess pause is a stop, and so is shutting the thing completely off or you could go as far as saying fast forwarding will also stop the current song from playing too or resetting the entire thing would also stop it, but that's not what I was going for. But thanks to the rest of you, who weren't asses about it...

thekid055

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2004
macguymike said:
There IS a reason for a Stop function. For example, if I want to have my iPod randomly play songs from my entire library, I go to "Browse" and push Play (without going deeper into the menus).

Where is this "Browse" option? I have a 4G 20GB iPod and can't seem to find that. Now if I just push play on "Music" it will play my music in order of the artist. I could just hit "play" or the select button on shuffle to randomly play songs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.