Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I know there's TextEdit...but try as I might, i can't get it to stop formatting what I copy into it.

Basically, what I need it to do, is remove ALL formatting, including Excel blocks. When I copy something, say, a column from Excel into TextEdit, it keeps the spacing, the gridlines, everything. I do not want it to do this. I just want it to copy over the data in the cells, keeping each item on its own row, with left indentation, just like Notepad does.

Is this possible? If not, is there a program that can do this extraordinarily basic thing?

Thanks!

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
You can also switch TextEdit over to plain text mode by going into preferences and choosing Plain Text instead of Rich Text.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
In TextEdit.

Press Command + Shift + T. It will convert it to 'plain' text and get rid of the formatting.

EDIT: Much like ergdegdeg said above... doh!

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Textedit is even better than Notepad. Notepad screws up the word wrap at times, and artificially starts adding return carriage all over the place if you start doing some heavy editing. Never had this problem on Textedit (in plain text mode). You also get the benefit of spell check on Textedit too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.