Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i dropped mine screen first on to hardwood floor from about 4.5 feet and it is perfectly fine. are iPads usually this tough or did i get lucky?

i have a full skinomi skin around it so that might have helped. still crazy that there isn't even a dent or any sign that it has been dropped.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Maybe a little of both. My wife dropped hers on our wood floor about a year ago. It had a back shell and Smartcover on it. There is a tiny chip in the glass and a hairline crack near the home button. Luckily it missed the screen and hasn't spread. The black bezel makes it almost unnoticeable.

I am guessing it is all about the angle and the amount of impact. Glad it worked out ok for you!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I watched mine bounce down ten stairs naked, onto the wood floor, bounce off the door, then down on its face. There is a huge dent in my floor and not a scratch on my ipad. Pretty amazed, and lucky.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
pure luck, especially when u are talking Ipad mini with thinner glass and more delicate body.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Mine got dropped at around 5 feet from the ground (tile floor). The impact was on the upper right portion of the back of the iPad mini and not a single dent, crack on screen or internal hardware failures! The paint was chipped off but did not deform the chassis of the iPad.

I think its luck and tough design, I saw Apple drop testing iPads in one of their promotional videos and they seem to know their stuff.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
i dropped mine screen first on to hardwood floor from about 4.5 feet and it is perfectly fine. are iPads usually this tough or did i get lucky?

i have a full skinomi skin around it so that might have helped. still crazy that there isn't even a dent or any sign that it has been dropped.

My ipad mini survived a similar drop to yours last year. It made such a loud bang when it dropped I thought I'd had it but it's intact and didn't have a mark on it. I had it in a Belkin case. It was just a regular folio case.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
I watched mine bounce down ten stairs naked, onto the wood floor, bounce off the door, then down on its face. There is a huge dent in my floor and not a scratch on my ipad. Pretty amazed, and lucky.
That would be terrible to watch, to just see it tumbling down the steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.