Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt it, Apple (or at least Jobs) hated the stylus. If apple was going to embrace the stylus why not for the iPads?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I doubt it, Apple (or at least Jobs) hated the stylus. If apple was going to embrace the stylus why not for the iPads?

I agree and seriously doubt it too

I have a Note 3 and never use the one with it (never even think about it)
Then again, I don't use the Note 3 much at all (work phone)
I use my personal iPhone and have my work number forwarded to it

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Like mentioned unless it has a Wacom digitizer (or something similar) like the Note series of devices there is no point to have a stylus. It would serve no greater function. And since it will serve no greater function it won't be included. The iPad doesn't even get headphones and I consider those actually useful...

BTW There is a reason the Note series of devices have a stylus, you can't just get the stylus and have Note status on an iOS device. The device has a special digitizer under the screen that utilizes pressure. Its pretty cool if you have a use for it...

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
I would love the new iPhone to have a stylus. I think apple could perfect it and make it truly useful just like Samsung did. That could drag me away from my Note 3. iOS still is much more refined.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Stylus = stick. Pen = electronic

Jobs was a salesman. He dissed what his products did not have... right up until they did!

--

In real life, we don't use just fingers to draw, sign checks, write notes, paint pictures. We use writing and drawing instruments like pens, pencils, crayons, brushes.

Styluses have been and still are one of the most popular and abundant iDevice accessories.

In fact, Apple themselves sell styluses in their brick stores, and at least one stylus kit in their online store.

--

Using the word "stylus" is incorrect in this thread, though. A stylus is just a dumb finger replacement. In other words, a stylus is a stick.

What other companies provide are usually called active "pens", which electronically determine their position.

They operate independently of the capacitive finger friendly screen, thus giving the best of both worlds.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Jobs was a salesman. He dissed what his products did not have... right up until they did!
Agreed, he was a salesman, but he also had some strong beliefs that were never comprised. Based on Apple's track record and his feelings, I'm very comfortable to state that we'll not see a stylus included with the iPhone 6.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
5.5" phone has not been in any way confirmed by Apple, and we're already speculating what accessories it will come with...

mrcheezit

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I highly doubt that Apple would include a stylus/pen in any of their iPhones.. it just doesn't seem like something they would do.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Agreed, he was a salesman, but he also had some strong beliefs that were never comprised.

If Jobs was really truly against styluses, then why would Apple sell them?

--

That said, I agree with you that it's highly unlikely Apple would add pen input to the iPhone 6.

Although, it would be smart of them to do so, since that's a selling point for many people with the Note series.

Perhaps Apple wants first to see how much market they can grab with just a larger display.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I'm still very hesitant to believe we'll see a 5.5" iPhone any time soon, if ever. If we do I highly doubt it will come with a stylus. Then again, if Apple knows they can charge $30 for replacements who knows, they sure make a killing off of cables and headphones.

Personally a stylus seems like a step back to me, not sure why since it probably offers improved functionality. I think it's just the idea of having to carry an accessory to do what I want the phone to do.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm hoping there will be a 5.5 because I would like the option between 4.7 and 5.5 I currently have the 5S but if the iPhone 6 has a bigger screen I will be buying it.

I would just like the choice between screen sizes tho :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If Jobs was really truly against styluses, then why would Apple sell them?

--

That said, I agree with you that it's highly unlikely Apple would add pen input to the iPhone 6.

Although, it would be smart of them to do so, since that's a selling point for many people with the Note series.

Perhaps Apple wants first to see how much market they can grab with just a larger display.

Google "Steve jobs stylus". Too many quotes and YouTube videos to list. Regardless he opposed them.

Is asking why a business sells something a real question or sarcasm?

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397843393.698588.jpg

kdarling

macrumors P6
Google "Steve jobs stylus". Too many quotes and YouTube videos to list. Regardless he opposed them.

Google "gullible" while you're at it. He "opposed" whatever Apple didn't sell itself.

• "What are these things good for besides surfing the Web on the toilet?" - Jobs dissing tablets to his staff, 2003

• "There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. We look at the (idea of a) tablet, and we think it is going to fail.” - Jobs dissing touchscreen tablets at All Things Digital, 2003

• "I’m not convinced people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen." - Jobs dissing video players to Mossberg 2003

• No native SDK, because third party iPhone apps could bring down the network - Jobs dissing native apps, 2007

• "The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read any more.” - Jobs dissing the Kindle or any book or magazine apps, NYTimes 2008

• "There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps." - Jobs dissing smaller tablets, Apple quarterly earnings call, 2010

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
One stylus? No.

Two styluses? Yes. One to write down stuff, the other to control the UI.

Call it INNOVATION! Can't wait! Take my money already!

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I really can't see them going with a stylus. No matter how useful it actually is on the Note series, or how many buy them to use with their iPad - a stylus just has too much of a geeky 90's/PalmPilot age tech ring to it to be fronted with their current brand.

Also "iPen" is way too close to being an anagram they really don't want on their hands... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.