Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Broadwell is likely to come out this fall, with Skylake coming out Q4 next year (I know it hasn't been confirmed, but let's assume these dates).

Broadwell may be a minor refresh, but has much higher resale value compared to its 250 days+ outdated 2013 model. How much should I expect to pay to upgrade my $2300 i7 8GB/516GB Broadwell rMBP for the equivilent 2015 Skylake version?

I understand it varies, but a rough estimate (even from people who've upgraded their MBPs before) would be great.

Gazelle is out of the question, they quoted a flawless one at 50% retail.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think buying/selling like that is a losing proposition.

What will skylake give you over broadwell. I'd say the state of processors are such that even Ivy Bridge processors are more then enough for the majority of people, never mind Haswell, or Broadwell.

Nov 28, 2010
located
1.900 USD maybe.

But I guess for your stated computational needs, even Cannonlake will not suffice.

I would look into a dual CPU 32-core Xeon workstation with 256 GB RAM, those will allow you to use 10 tabs in Chrome easier than any current outdated machine is not capable of.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Broadwell is likely to come out this fall, with Skylake coming out Q4 next year (I know it hasn't been confirmed, but let's assume these dates).

Broadwell may be a minor refresh, but has much higher resale value compared to its 250 days+ outdated 2013 model. How much should I expect to pay to upgrade my $2300 i7 8GB/516GB Broadwell rMBP for the equivilent 2015 Skylake version?

I understand it varies, but a rough estimate (even from people who've upgraded their MBPs before) would be great.

These are questions that cannot be answered. No one knows when these machines will drop, how much they will be, how well they will sell etc. Just buy the machine you need and if you feel the need to upgrade when the new one comes out, just sell your current machine and purchase a new one. You will always be losing money if you have to have the newest machine possible. With Mac's however, you do lose the least money since their resale value is very good.

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
1.900 USD maybe.

But I guess for your stated computational needs, even Cannonlake will not suffice.

I would look into a dual CPU 32-core Xeon workstation with 256 GB RAM, those will allow you to use 10 tabs in Chrome easier than any current outdated machine is not capable of.

Seems like I'll go with the Xeon 256, thanks!

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas

broadwell isn't coming till Q1-Q2 2015 ; so unless you plan on waiting a good 8 mnths for a laptop lol no point on planning on selling it now ; imo i would not sell something i waited 8 months for

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Exactly. My predicition is Broadwell comes out in June 2015 and skylake in october 2015.

And in fact these leaked CPU roadmap confirms it.
http://thepcenthusiast.com/intel-broadwell-skylake-release-date-revealed/

http://thepcenthusiast.com/5th-gen-intel-broadwell-processors-release-date/

broadwell isn't coming till Q1-Q2 2015 ; so unless you plan on waiting a good 8 mnths for a laptop lol no point on planning on selling it now ; imo i would not sell something i waited 8 months for

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Exactly. My predicition is Broadwell comes out in June 2015 and skylake in october 2015.

And in fact these leaked CPU roadmap confirms it.
http://thepcenthusiast.com/intel-broadwell-skylake-release-date-revealed/

http://thepcenthusiast.com/5th-gen-intel-broadwell-processors-release-date/

imo june 2015 is a bit late ; the early 2015 (march ) seems like the perfect time ; also idk i have a feeling if apple does a spec bump its going to be july/august ; which would give it 8 months for broadwell

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

When my Jetsons Jetpack Blaster 1.5 comes out in 22 months, should I plan on reselling it immediately for the FusionBlast upgrade, or just hold off until Fusion Jetpacks are released 6 months later?

Note: sarcasm

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
The Apple Store doesn't sell Xeon... looks like I'll wait for Broadwell.

----------

When my Jetsons Jetpack Blaster 1.5 comes out in 22 months, should I plan on reselling it immediately for the FusionBlast upgrade, or just hold off until Fusion Jetpacks are released 6 months later?

Note: sarcasm

I would say wait.

Thank you all for the amazing advice :D

robert-downey-jr-gifs-04042014-10.gif

Nov 28, 2010
located
The Apple Store doesn't sell Xeon...

It does, though not the configuration you need. You will be limited to a single 12-core Xeon CPU with only 64 to 128 GB RAM, thus 4 out of 10 tabs need to be closed.
Or you get a 2004 iBook, it can have more than ten tabs open.

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
It does, though not the configuration you need. You will be limited to a single 12-core Xeon CPU with only 64 to 128 GB RAM, thus 4 out of 10 tabs need to be closed.
Or you get a 2004 iBook, it can have more than ten tabs open.

True, I guess I'll buy it online?

128GB is the low end for me, as I'll need 10+ tabs open at a time. Basically, something that is sufficient to run MacRumors without lag/ zoom in/ out seamlessly, while running 9 videos.

Should I get the 512GB model? Will also look into the FusionBlast the other fellow mentioned. I've heard some great things about Xeon. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273978

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Recently I've been thinking about buying and selling a year later but today I saw a £2200 spec, one month old, Haswell 15" go for £1400 on eBay

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Recently I've been thinking about buying and selling a year later but today I saw a £2200 spec, one month old, Haswell 15" go for £1400 on eBay

It's probably scratched. Could you link me to it?

DevAndy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121375478058?redirect=mobile

Ah I see, it's in Euros. I recently got a 2013 (new) one with the same specs at Bestbuy for $200 more, so it's not anything huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.