Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Hello Everyone,

I have a late 2011 macbook pro with :
Battery cycles - 114 (using it as desktop replacement 100% of the time) and battery health - 94% yesterday and 66% today!

How this happened:
Yesterday i left it open to finish some university downloads unplugged. When i got home after 3-4 hours the laptop was dead. It seems that by accident, i have set the computer sleep to never under - energy Saver - battery.

When i opened it, i got a strange message that some programs might not work as date was set before 2008 and i couldn't access the top status bar. I opened system preferences, top bar appeared and the date was correctly set to 2014. I did a restart, top bar appeared but under the battery percentage i got the system battery message and battery health dropped from 94% to 66%.

Since i can live with my laptop all day plugged in, do i have to replace battery?

Is there any way to fix this? (I have tried SMC reset and now i am trying to do a calibration)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
THanks for the link.

I did the first check when i firstly opened it (was about 15%) but also when it was fully charged.

Hopefully a couple of cycles will bring it back up in percentage of life. Otherwise, you may need to get a new battery sooner than you expected.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since i can live with my laptop all day plugged in, do i have to replace battery?
You will eventually.

Is there any way to fix this? (I have tried SMC reset and now i am trying to do a calibration)
The only way is to eliminate the message is to bring it to apple and replace the battery.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
You will eventually.

The only way is to eliminate the message is to bring it to apple and replace the battery.

Since I'm out of warranty, is it OK if I just replace it myself? I'm planning of buying one battery from owc.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Since I'm out of warranty, is it OK if I just replace it myself? I'm planning of buying one battery from owc.

I just replaced a battery with one from OWC. If you can tell one end of a screwdriver from the other its a piece of cake. The cover and battery screws are *tiny* but its an easy job. The batteries you get from OWC include the proper size screwdrivers.

-jeff

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Update....

14 days later the battery health has dropped to 53% from 66%... Seems that buying a new battery is inevitable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.