Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanrocks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm not too sure if this has been answered elsewhere but what do people think the new iPad will be called. I was having this discussion with a friend over the weekend.

Also what are meant to be the key features and USP for the new iPad?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Probably the new iPad air or the iPad air 2, or something along those lines imo.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Im gonna place my bets on Apple switching to Macbook Air style. Product name remains static. Denoted by year or generation when necessary.

They started that trend with
iPad (3rd)
iPad (4th)

Then broke it with the Air...

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Im gonna place my bets on Apple switching to Macbook Air style. Product name remains static. Denoted by year or generation when necessary.

They started that trend with
iPad (3rd)
iPad (4th)

Then broke it with the Air...

And the iPad Air really doesn't make any sense in relation to the MacBook line, where the "Air" model is the lighter and less expensive model. The iPad Mini should be the iPad Air and the iPad Air should either just be the iPad or possibly even the iPad Pro (with the iPad 4 just being the iPad, perhaps).

If the rumors pan out and a 5.5" iPhone Air is released, then the naming conventions truly have no meaning anymore.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
And the iPad Air really doesn't make any sense in relation to the MacBook line, where the "Air" model is the lighter and less expensive model. The iPad Mini should be the iPad Air and the iPad Air should either just be the iPad or possibly even the iPad Pro (with the iPad 4 just being the iPad, perhaps).

If the rumors pan out and a 5.5" iPhone Air is released, then the naming conventions truly have no meaning anymore.

A single sole example (MacBook Air) does not make a branding trend.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
iPad air mark II G black label signature series limited edition! I'm certain that's what it will be called!!!

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
So what's your point? What logic is there in using the "Air" moniker in such a haphazard way?

MacBook ---> MacBook Air

Apple took the old, heavier, thicker, and bulkier product and slimmed it down, lowered the weight, and eventually replaced the former with the latter.

iPad ---> iPad Air

Apple took the old, heavier, thicker, and bulkier product and slimmed it down, lowered the weight, and will eventually replace the former with the latter.

There's nothing haphazard about it. The same exact usage applies.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iPad Air 2 seems a bit long - and iPad Air (2nd generation) would imply the 1st iPad Air was a totally new product, which it wasn't.

As iPad updates become more iterative, I think they'll adopt the date moniker used for the Macs, so it'll be iPad Air (Late 2014).

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
When you lay it out like that I guess I can see where I've gone astray. I have to admit, I never really thought of the MBA as a replacement to the MacBook and always considered it its own, new product line.

Yeah, that's where I think a lot of the confusion is. But it's understandable with how Apple quietly phased out the MB. Now the MBA fills the role of the "budget" MacBook - hence being the replacement for the MB.

That being said, I doubt we'll see the title transfer to the iPhone, unless there's a total restructuring of the product line.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Every time I see this thread, I think, "I don't care what it's called, just release it already!" :D

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Probably the new iPad air or the iPad air 2, or something along those lines imo.

I will personally kick someone's butt at Apple if they officially call it "the new iPad air". It was such a freaking mess when they pulled that crap a couple years ago with "the new Ipad" (3rd gen, right?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.