Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your wireless service on a 2 years contract or off-contract?

• On Contract

Votes: 49 46.7%
  • Off Contract

Votes: 56 53.3%

• Total voters

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012

informal survey

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
On contract, its coming to an end next month, just in time for the iPhone 6. I'll buy that on subsidy, i.e., going back on contract.

by the way, your poll is confusing.

Am I saying Yes to on contract or off contract ;)
poll.png

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
On contract, its coming to an end next month, just in time for the iPhone 6. I'll buy that on subsidy, i.e., going back on contract.

Did a Moderator make that poll?

Because it doesn't make sense. I was in the process of making the poll with the option of

2 years contract
off-contract

and someone put

Yes
No

on it

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012

On Contract 2 33.33%
Off Contract 4 66.67%

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Off contact, though I still only upgrade every two years. Off contract is a bit cheaper in the long run, and gives me the flexibility to change carriers whenever I need.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm on one of the AT&T family share value plans. We have 6 lines and buy all of our phones outright, either new or used. Most of my family just keeps their phones until they stop working, so it makes sense to avoid paying a high monthly fee just to have a subsidy that isn't being used.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have less than a month to go. My wife has a year left. But we plan to switch to T-Mobile as soon as we can, so I suppose we will be off contract in the new year.

I was out of contract from May 2011 to September 2012 though. Went back in to contract to get the iPhone 5.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Contracts are silly expensive, and set up to be predatory with risk of overage charges, with no benefit.

TMo, Cricket, Straightalk. No overage charges. One time $650-850 phone cost is not any sort of problem that people make it out to be.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm technically currently still in contract as of the moment but will be going off-contract and getting the iPhone 6 through AT&T Next.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

by the way, your poll is confusing.

Am I saying Yes to on contract or off contract ;)
View attachment 486460

I was thinking the same thing, yes to off or yes to on?

Anyways, im on contract now.. off on 9/15.. perfect for the 9/19 release.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Five lines on an AT&T Family plan (old plan with subsidies). Four of the 5 have unlimited data. Fifth line has a 3GB plan.

I have always had at least one subsidy available when the new phone launches. This year, I have two - meaning two of the 5 are "off contract" or will be by the time the phone launches.

Yeah, it’s good to be Dad - I always get the new phone and play "hand-me-down" with the wife and kids.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Contracts are silly expensive, and set up to be predatory with risk of overage charges, with no benefit.

TMo, Cricket, Straightalk. No overage charges. One time $650-850 phone cost is not any sort of problem that people make it out to be.
Sprint's unlimited plans don't have any overage charges either. ;)

I paid about $500 for my iPhone 5, but that was subsidized on the two year contract and it's the 64GB model. Would have cost me about $900+ buying it outright. You're right in that the cost is not any sort of problem, but at the time I bought I was using money from our tax refund and the full price phones weren't offered for launch day preorder.

In between tax refunds though, $650-850 is a problem for us.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

One time $650-850 phone cost is not any sort of problem that people make it out to be.

I understand this concept from my point of view. But I have my phone, my wife's phone and three kids. We’re talking about $3250~$4250.

If it was just me and my wife, I could do it with no problem. But my kids can’t afford it, and I am not going to shell out that kind of money.

I am strongly considering going the Family Share plan and simply doing the "hand-me-down" approach. Essentially that’s what I do now, but at subsidized prices. I have to do the calculations, but it might be cheaper to save $100-125/month, and save that towards the phone - I could save the $850 for the new phone in only 7-8 months.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Off contract all the way. I didn't even bother looking at smartphones until better prepaid and contract-free options became available over the last couple of years.

Never liked the idea of how contracts would force me to stay with a carrier for two years, essentially force me to upgrade my phone every two years rather than when I actually wanted a new phone (whether sooner or later), and charge the same monthly fees regardless of whether I completed the contract. I also never liked how contracts hide the actual cost of the device and lock down the phone for the duration of the contract

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Just signed a 2 year contract with the big red company last night. Got a GS5 for $100! If the iPhone 6 is a killer, I'll sell that and get buy it outright.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Five lines on an AT&T Family plan (old plan with subsidies). Four of the 5 have unlimited data. Fifth line has a 3GB plan.

I have always had at least one subsidy available when the new phone launches. This year, I have two - meaning two of the 5 are "off contract" or will be by the time the phone launches.

Yeah, it’s good to be Dad - I always get the new phone and play "hand-me-down" with the wife and kids.
Same here except my mom and dad get my brother and mine's hand-me-downs. :p

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014

I agree, I finally got smart about this. With the no-contract or prepaid plans, you save so much money that you can afford to pay $650 once a year or whatever and still come out ahead! And not have to worry about all that nonsense of upgrade eligible dates and such.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
On contract with Verizon until January. Not sure if I'll upgrade yet. It's also kind of up to my dad since he's the account owner. Currently have four lines with two, maybe three on contract, and at least one (my mom's dumb phone) off contract, but they still pay contract price for it. Trying to explain contracts and the potential discounts doesn't get very far :p. $250 a month doesn't seem to bother my dad that much.

If I suddenly had to pay for my own service, I'd probably go for T-Mobile or Cricket. Low cost of service and I'd keep my Verizon iPhone 5. My boyfriend has T-Mobile and is 11 months into paying for his iPhone 5. I don't think he'll pay it off early and upgrade since he just got an AC+ replacement. Depends on if he gets a new job and needs better service than T-Mobile has in our area.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Serious question here. Does the recent law that passed that makes carriers unlock your phone in the States make contracts and less upfront costs for devices more desirable?

I'm on the $30 T-Mobile plan and prepaid, but 100 minutes annoys the GF. Every other prepaid plan seems too expensive by comparison. If you want unlimited minutes and 5 GB or more, should you go post-paid?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.