Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Well, this isn’t a myth. Mythbusters fan favorites Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara have been let go from the popular Discovery Channel show. The reason hasn’t been given, but rumors are swirling that Discovery executives were getting concerned over the cost of Mythbusters.

The next season will see Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman return as the show’s only hosts. Kari sent out a series of tweets about the news. “I guess you guys are finding out the news right about now. After a decade of the MythBusters, we are no longer with the show. Thank you to all the fans who have supported us. The show is taking a new direction. It was an amazing run. I learned so much about myself and the world. I love you all @MythBusters. I am sad for an ending but there will be exciting new adventures for us.”

The official Mythbusters account was gracious in announcing their exit, thanking them for the wonderful run.

Now, what comes next? The trio is popular and there are plenty of networks that could stand an exciting science show. Some rumors have popped up about a possible History Channel show, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

The news was announced at the end of this season’s season finale. Discovery has also put together a retrospective of the three exiting members. Plenty of awesome science moments for Discovery.
http://www.newsledge.com/myth-confirmed-kari-tory-grant-ousted-mythbusters-8985

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't see how letting them go is good for the show. Surly the money they are saving is also lost ad revenue.

Neither do I. We'll have to wait and see what this "new direction" is going to be. I'm sure the three of them won't have any trouble finding another TV spot - if they want one.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I won't be sad to see Tori go. She was always only there for the looks, while Tori was there for the bad jokes. Grant on the other hand, I would have liked to stay.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Nothing, no matter who good, can go on forever.

And realistically, its probably better for the individual careers for them to move on. A decade is a long time to be playing "second fiddles" - and I think each one of the departing cast members probably has enough talent and personality to support a show of their own.

I would be very surprised indeed if they weren't already talking with producers - individually or as a group - about a new show - science-based or otherwise.

And, lastly, thanks to the peculiarities of "residual" payments - each of the departing cast members is guaranteed a steady stream of income as long as Mythbusters reruns are on the air.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I won't be sad to see Tori go. She was always only there for the looks, while Tori was there for the bad jokes. Grant on the other hand, I would have liked to stay.

grant was the asian guy right? Its been yearsss since I saw MB, but I do think he was the only proper addition to the show, the other two were "eye-candy" for the sexes IMO.

I think having just a show of both of them and maybe doing a show lasting 30mins will benefit the show.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If it means the show will go back to being about science and engineering rather than entertainment then I'm all for it. That seems unlikely however....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If it means the show will go back to being about science and engineering rather than entertainment then I'm all for it. That seems unlikely however....
Unfortunately Discovery has drifted away from science programming. Even Science Channel is starting to drift.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I have a hunch there's either a spin-off or some other show or project already lined up for the three of them. They all mentioned something to the effect of "new beginnings" for them.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have a hunch there's either a spin-off or some other show or project already lined up for the three of them. They all mentioned something to the effect of "new beginnings" for them.
No doubt they will get work, I don't think it is with Discover tho. It also sounds like they were blindsided by this.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I used to watch Mythbusters a fair bit: Adam and Jamie would find clever engineering tricks to make things happen, while Kari, Grant, and Tory destroyed stuff in their quest to expose myths. However, the competition for programs like Mythbusters has increased tremendously during the course of its run. Cable networks love these shows because they're relatively inexpensive to produce. But there are so many of them now that it's hard for any one to get traction. Drama series from HBO, Netflix, AMC, and others add to the mix.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Great - all hotness has left the show. Now its a sausage fest.

You will be missed, Kari...

kb1.jpg

iPhil

macrumors 68040

Tori: on a bike trying jump a Radio speed wagon on a bike --

Fail

This is Kari --
Great - all hotness has left the show. Now its a sausage fest.

You will be missed, Kari...

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Statement:
"but rumors are swirling that Discovery executives were getting concerned over the cost of Mythbusters."

Meaning:
"Discovery executives wanted to figure out how to pocket even more money, so they started looking at things they could cut out"

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Meaning:
"Discovery executives wanted to figure out how to pocket even more money, so they started looking at things they could cut out"

I'm afraid this is the truth. I remember when MTV primarily played music, when you could learn things on TLC, and you could gain insights from history on the History channel. Now they've almost all moved to reality programming, and I don't have any interest.

I have several seasons of MB on disk, so I can enjoy them whenever I want. Particularly episodes where Kari shoots big guns. And likes it. :D

At the end of the day, I'm saddened by this news, but not surprised.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm afraid this is the truth. I remember when MTV primarily played music, when you could learn things on TLC, and you could gain insights from history on the History channel. Now they've almost all moved to reality programming, and I don't have any interest.

Agreed. I just mentioned the other day to my secretary who is about 6 years younger than me, that I don't watch MTV, because they don't really play music anymore. She replied that I'm just too old now!

It's too bad all this reality TV has taken over TLC, Discovery and THC. Though there are still some good programs and documentaries on them, it's just not like it was in the early days of the channels.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bummers, I'm sad to them go especially Kari :( Even before they created two groups of people she was on the show.

The thought of runaway costs is kind of amusing since I was thinking the same thing watching an episode where they've been seemingly going all out in building and blowing stuff up. I still watch the show but I wondered if it jumped the shark already.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Agreed. I just mentioned the other day to my secretary who is about 6 years younger than me, that I don't watch MTV, because they don't really play music anymore. She replied that I'm just too old now!

It's too bad all this reality TV has taken over TLC, Discovery and THC. Though there are still some good programs and documentaries on them, it's just not like it was in the early days of the channels.
I can neither confirm nor deny if you are too old. But, I'll bet you are. Unfortunately, I am too.

I finally got fed up, and don't have cable anymore. Hopefully, Netflix and Amazon Prime will offer enough choices for my family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.