Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex1213

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
A refurb phone cause I'm replacing my 5s tommorow and wondering if I'm getting a refurb and if I am will I get the cables and earpods I got like when I bought it like new and also can I request it to be new

Last edited by a moderator:

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
A refurb phone cause I'm replacing my 5s tommorow and wondering if I'm getting a refurb and if I am will I get the cables and earpods I got like when I bought it like new and also can I request it to be new

It will probably be a refurb. Refurbs don't come with the cable or headphones. It's just the phone. You don't even keep the box since that's what they put your old phone in to send back.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cant ask for a new one but it wont happen.
You're getting a replacement and it might or might not be a refurb but its supposed to work and look like brand new. If it doesn't then you can ask for another one if there's any faults with anything.
And no you don't get wires or earphones. Just the phone, that's it.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Well if either the EarPods or lightning cable is beginning to break, doesn't hurt to bring along and see if they can also be replaced under warranty. But no, you're not getting a second set out of the phone replacement.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

It depends on when you got your 5s. If its within a month you'll probably get a new phone, otherwise you'll get a refurb.

My wife took her iPhone 5 in to an apple store to have work on it and they gave her a brand new phone. It was a year old at the time, so its not unheard of to get a new one. She didn't even ask for a new one, just to fix the issue.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It depends on when you got your 5s. If its within a month you'll probably get a new phone, otherwise you'll get a refurb.

My wife took her iPhone 5 in to an apple store to have work on it and they gave her a brand new phone. It was a year old at the time, so its not unheard of to get a new one. She didn't even ask for a new one, just to fix the issue.

Service like this can and will make you a permanent Apple customer. :)

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Could be either, but usually a refurb.

Some people swear they are better than new because they are checked over well.

Could you imagine how many phones they would be giving out if they always swapped to a NEW phone?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As has been stated, you will get a new phone only (most likely a refurb). Under warranty Apple is only obligated to replace or fix whatever it is that isn't working.

They are not obligated to provide anyone with free accessories.

As to refurb or not, there are plenty of threads here on MR where it's shown that refurbs are just as good as the original and that it's very difficult to tell the difference.

Last edited:

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

The one thing you *will* get will be the SIM ejector tool, which is very useful. But other than that, it's a plain white box with a phone.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I bought a refurb ipod Touch 5 online and it came with EarPods, lightning cable, etc. when it faulted a month later it was replaced with a brand new unit, not a refurb.

I bought a refurbished iPhone 5 recently and it came with everything in the box.

If you get a warranty/out-of-warranty replacement from Apple, it will be a phone-only exchange. No accessories or box.

I had a 4S replaced recently and the genius said it was a brand new phone.

----------

The one thing you *will* get will be the SIM ejector tool, which is very useful. But other than that, it's a plain white box with a phone.

You can't request a new device. If you walk in to an Apple store they will give you the phone only. No white box, no sim tool, nothing.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Thats assuming you are OK with taking the time out of your life to return a defective product in the first place.

It happens. There isn't a company out there that makes every product 100% perfect without an issue. Even when I worked 80-90 hours a week, time with my family, and so on, I still made it back to an Apple store for 15 minutes and they helped me out. Working with technology, I get it, crap happens and stuff breaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.