Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
Is there any solid indication that there will be iPhone 6 pre-ordering available this year? I don't remember if that is something Apple has done consistently with all iPhone launches. It seems like one of these recent years they did not offer pre-orders on a major device...maybe that was iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No indications as apple has not announced anything about the iPhone 6 yet.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I really hope they do, there's no way im going to wait in line at the apple store...

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
REALLY hope they do pre-orders. I really don't want to have to wait out. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Or pre-order via a carrier and pick it up at the store an launch day. Screw waiting in line at an Apple store. Every time I see people waiting in tents for weeks on end it makes me wonder how they can afford an iphone, but not to work.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I do not think one can put any faith in what happened in the past as a forecast of what will happen this September.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I stayed up to order my iPhone 5 online and will definitely do the same if they offer pre-orders this time around. :cool:

:apple:

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
There were pre orders available for Iphone 4 , 4s, and the 5, 5c, let's just hope there's no production issues . I'm guessing the iPhone 5s didn't qualify because there wasn't enough "Gold" colors , again, that's just my guess but who knows . I just hope there's pre orders this time around. Don't want to start a line in front of my mall at midnight .

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
I think pre-ordering will not be available for iPhone 6, because if apple really want to offers this so they are announced it, but there is no any announcement information from apple yet so i don't think pre-ordering will be available.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I think pre-ordering will not be available for iPhone 6, because if apple really want to offers this so they are announced it, but there is no any announcement information from apple yet so i don't think pre-ordering will be available.

Uh, they haven't announced the iPhone 6 yet so they're not going have announced preorders for it. You're getting a bit ahead of yourself, wait for the keynote, Apple will give more info on preordering then.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Or pre-order via a carrier and pick it up at the store an launch day. Screw waiting in line at an Apple store. Every time I see people waiting in tents for weeks on end it makes me wonder how they can afford an iphone, but not to work.

Usually they book holidays with work, I personally have better ways to spend my holidays away from work than queuing for a phone for a week or two.

The others will be the rich folk that don't need to work, and can pay people thousands of dollars ect to buy their spot of them.:confused::confused:

ensee

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Is there any chance they would do reservations like they did when the retina iPad mini came out?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Usually they book holidays with work, I personally have better ways to spend my holidays away from work than queuing for a phone for a week or two.

The others will be the rich folk that don't need to work, and can pay people thousands of dollars ect to buy their spot of them.:confused::confused:

With iPhone 4 I had to stay in line for about an hour and it was about 4 years ago, last week of august. I remember a shortage of iPhone 4 till fall.
With iPhone 5 and 5S it was different, so it will be this year.
I'm not going to spend a night outside a mall of course, but I'll wait a week after the release then go to an Apple store and maybe stay in line for a few minutes before getting my phone.
I don't like pre orders, I rather go to the AS, open the new device and power it on before leaving the mall. With iPhone 5 there were so many problems with scratches so I'm happy I checked my phone before leaving the store ;)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
With iPhone 4 I had to stay in line for about an hour and it was about 4 years ago, last week of august. I remember a shortage of iPhone 4 till fall.
With iPhone 5 and 5S it was different, so it will be this year.
I'm not going to spend a night outside a mall of course, but I'll wait a week after the release then go to an Apple store and maybe stay in line for a few minutes before getting my phone.
I don't like pre orders, I rather go to the AS, open the new device and power it on before leaving the mall. With iPhone 5 there were so many problems with scratches so I'm happy I checked my phone before leaving the store ;)

I've always pre ordered from Apple. Luckily, I've never gotten a bad product. I don't have the patience to go to a store and wait. I just won't do it.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I've always pre ordered from Apple. Luckily, I've never gotten a bad product. I don't have the patience to go to a store and wait. I just won't do it.

As a matter of fact my iPhone 5 was perfect, but I was afraid to get a bad unit and then have to go and ask for a replacement.
There are two Apple Stores I can get to in 15/20 minutes, so is quite convenient for me to go directly to a store.

The problem with iPhone is that they also activate contracts with a mobile operator, that's why you have to stay in line since they can spend up to 5 minutes to serve a customer.
You don't see any queues with iPads since there is no contract and the demand is lower.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

If i do that my devices will be locked to the carrier... Thats why i wanna buy it straight from apple so i can get a unlocked device.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If i do that my devices will be locked to the carrier... Thats why i wanna buy it straight from apple so i can get a unlocked device.

You do know the US just past the unlocking law, so anyone can get their phone unlocked, whenever they want as long as they do not owe money on the phone?

Get you phone via carrier, pay it off right away and have it unlocked. No need to go through Apple or wait in a line. And I believe Verizon only sells unlocked phones, so not an issue there.

uvmskier

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Does anyone remember when the stock levels at Apple stores have been normal based on the last few iPhone releases? By normal, I mean you can basically just walk in and basically have your choice of color and storage capacity of the latest device.

My wife and I are both due for upgrades with AT&T. I could do the pre-order or order on launch day but my problem is I live in Massachusetts which has sales tax. I'd love to go to the apple store 20 minutes from my house in New Hampshire and just pick one up without paying $35 in taxes per device. I know Apple didn't let you ship to store last year if you ordered online. I'm aware of the workaround of adding an alternate address to your credit card and cellular carrier. I'm not sure I want to go down that route in case UPS or Fedex shows up when someone isn't home. I'll probably have a hard time picking up the device without ID showing I live at the address where I had it shipped.

I'm willing to wait a couple of weeks but I don't want to have to wait until November if it launches in the middle of September.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'd love to go to the apple store 20 minutes from my house in New Hampshire and just pick one up without paying $35 in taxes per device.

Pheasant Lane? Just curious because I used to live in Billerica, MA and Milford, NH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.