Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodrigo Yoshida

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Brazil
Since I own a Nexus and a Chromecast I always used Chrome as my main browser and never considered using others. But I noticed Chrome was becoming a memory hog and the scrolling was not so smooth, so I gave Safari a try. I was impressed how much lighter and faster it was and switched to it immediately, even losing all the tabs and history sync with my Nexus.

Now Google released a Chrome's 64-bit version claiming it is going to be light and fast again, so I decide to give it a try again. I restarted my Mac, opened Safari and Chrome with 10 tabs, all with the same websites and checked the memory on Activity Monitor. Chrome was using 585mb and Safari 580mb, pretty much the same. Also the performance was very similar, loading times were close and I could not notice much difference between them, the scrolling was still a little smoother on Safari, but the diference now is definitely smaller.

Has anyone tried using the 64-bit version? I am considering using Chrome again and want to know if someone has experienced the same as me with Chrome.

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
For me Chrome 64 loaded pages quicker, but scrolling was no where near as smooth as Safari. Go to theverge.com for example. The scrolling in Safari is buttery smooth when the page is loading. Chrome 64 stutters.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see no reason to. For me Safari works well and I'm happy with it. On the PC, I use chrome, but so far nothing beats Safari on OS X.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Chrome 64-bit is fast, but Safari is far smoother and much easier on the battery. Plus, it has iCloud integration.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I find Chrome much quicker in page loading. It also allows actions before everything is loaded while Safari has to load an entire page before it is useful. I find Chrome much better for anyone not on very fast internet and/or opening many tabs even often. Safari is perfectly smooth once loaded. Chrome still suffers much more choppy scrolling with frame drops on a Retina display.
That is how I would recommend the current chrome. BTW I like the UX much more on Chrome and always found it hard to deal with Safari.

64bit Canary build v39 seem much smoother and seems to bring Chrome on equal footing with the only thing Safari has over it.

Here a comparison for just the flags page scrolling up and down on Retina (more space aka 1680x1050 and chrome content zoomed 150% // I found zoom settings and more space options make a difference in performance, best for retina and 100% performs better)

Chrome 38 (32bit)
cc74e98ce0d0dba2e6af0fbac76807de12f5b5fb66.png

Canary 38 - 64bit
cc74e98ce0762e4f085e86219fcad2e89989daf911.png

The fps is the current one right the instant compared to the gauge of apple dev tools some use for Safari benches. That gauge doesn't clearly show small differences in dropped frames and is imo useless for measurering what it looks like to the naked eye. Like 30fps avg would look vastly different.

Canary looks like Safari with practically no dropped frames. C38 looks even worse on some pages but can also look much better. I tried to find a situation in which it clearly shows a difference. But the sample is from the same site with the same prefs. C38 looks similar when run on an external non retina display.

Last edited:

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Chrome has a couple of advantages I can't live without.
  • iPhone - Changing tabs on iOS is much better on Chrome - edge swipe
  • Desktop - Keyword search is amazing on Chrome, since you just start typing an address and hit tab (e.g. you type "ama", hit tab, and get an Amazon search function)

I'd rather use Safari because of built-in integration advantages, but I've tried to switch multiple times and the usability of Chrome is just much higher for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.