Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I paid $275 + tax for mine. Say a new one comes out in October for $399. I could probably have gotten it for $350 with student discount at Best Buy.

Do you think it...
- Will it be a lighter space gray?
- Will it have a different form factor to match iPhone 6?
- Could have any really higher specs compared to current model? Like would the differences be drastic?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
No one can guess at the design, that's all Apple.

It will definitely be faster with the A8 chip, but will likely follow the iPhone's "25% CPU and 50% GPU increase."

In real world usage, no you won't notice a difference. Enjoy your iPad Mini.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
I, although I may be in a minority, am not convinced there will even be a new iPad Mini this year. I peg the odds at 50% there will, 50% the mini gets ignored.

Reason being: The iPhone 6+ is a 5.5" device. I think that competes with the iPad Mini too much for Apple's comfort. I don't think Apple would lodge 2 products against each other to compete with themselves. Go the the apple store in a couple weeks and place an iPhone 6+ ontop of an iPad mini ^^. Especially given the lagging sales tablets are seeing across the board. I think if there is no new iPad mini, there will be a new iPad Maxi =P

Tl;dr: Enjoy your new iPad Mini. I think it's a great sized device. We will see what the future has in store, no one knows.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
No one can guess at the design, that's all Apple.

It will definitely be faster with the A8 chip, but will likely follow the iPhone's "25% CPU and 50% GPU increase."

In real world usage, no you won't notice a difference. Enjoy your iPad Mini.

As Traverse states, I feel the performance improvements will be negligible . The only feature I would want would be Touch ID. My iPad 4th Gen still does what I need, and I chose not to upgrade to the Air due to that fact.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You won't. I'm certain I won't.

I had the 1st Gen iPad Mini and recently got an iPad Mini Retina with LTE for $300. Needless to say I'm almost certain that Apple won't be able to add enough to the new Mini to make me feel like I have to have it at launch or regret my recent purchase.

I'm just expecting Touch ID and performance increases. But the rMini is already very fast.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
I originally had the iPad Mini with 16gb of RAM which I quickly outgrew. Since Apple offered a trade-in, I decided to take them up on the offer to increase my RAM and add Cell capability. I didn't really see a lot of difference except for the additional 48gb storage space. I know..should've held out for the touch ID.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Honestly, even if they double the performance, VERY few apps would be able to take advantage of it for a long time, probably a few years would pass before you would see noticeable performance differences between the current rMini and a new A8 rMini.

I originally had the iPad Mini with 16gb of RAM which I quickly outgrew. Since Apple offered a trade-in, I decided to take them up on the offer to increase my RAM and add Cell capability. I didn't really see a lot of difference except for the additional 48gb storage space. I know..should've held out for the touch ID.
16GB storage, 1GB RAM. Big, big difference.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Yes you will, and you will turn to drinking. Eventually you will grow a beard, and it will be your salvation, as Tim Cook will marvel at your beard as an inspiration for iBeard. iBeard will only come with 1 gig of ram.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I paid $275 + tax for mine. Say a new one comes out in October for $399. I could probably have gotten it for $350 with student discount at Best Buy.

Do you think it...
- Will it be a lighter space gray?
- Will it have a different form factor to match iPhone 6?
- Could have any really higher specs compared to current model? Like would the differences be drastic?

My bet is that there is new rMini release.

You are making an assumption that a new rMini will be out this year. The Air2 will be announced in October but I'm still doubtful that we will see the next rMini update till next year.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
You are making an assumption that a new rMini will be out this year. The Air2 will be announced in October but I'm still doubtful that we will see the next rMini update till next year.

I am also not convinced we will see a new rMini this year. Also, the best buy coupon expires on 10/11/14. Presumably it expires then because the new iPads won't be released til after so the coupon won't be good anymore on the brand new ones.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
With the October event being so close - you would have a reason to regret if you had paid full price for year old hardware. Since you did not, you should take comfort and enjoy your new device as long as it can support your requirements.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
With the October event being so close - you would have a reason to regret if you had paid full price for year old hardware. Since you did not, you should take comfort and enjoy your new device as long as it can support your requirements.

Completely agree. Had you paid full price, it would be a regret. But $275 is a steal for it right now in my opinion. Technically it is still the current generation - although not for long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.