Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
...just buy an iMac? Because I'm seriously tempted to upgrade my 2011 Mini, especially in regards to graphics and USB 3.0.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
...just buy an iMac? Because I'm seriously tempted to upgrade my 2011 Mini, especially in regards to graphics and USB 3.0.

If you already have a monitor you like you might consider putting your money into a new Mac Pro instead of a fully configured iMac. I gave up waiting and that's what I did.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
USB 3 was an important step forward.

Besides making backups a lot faster, it also made booting from an external drive a practical option.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
The iMac is not even an option.

Yeah the thread starter needs to be put in irons or something for suggesting it. (a joke not for real)
I gave up waiting for a new mini and built a beast pc with windows 7 weeks ago. It cost me under 1400 usd and pretty much is close to a nMP.
Apple forced me back to windows due to slow desktop upgrades then a nMP with dual gpu's for 3k. I have given up hope a long time ago and just am posting more out of loyalty to MacRumors then to minis.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I am not proud of it but I will wait until the first q of 2015 when broadwell comes out. If no new mini then, I will have to look around. Ironically, it was my exhaustive search for a small and quiet and fast WINDOWS computer that lead me to the mini.

If I were a real man, I would only wait until October 21st :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I got tired of waiting and bought the current I5 mini. Huge upgrade coming from a 2010 and 2008 MacBook. I can't believe that running a 8GB file through iFlicks takes less than four minutes now compared to 10-20 on either of those old Macs. This is on the stock drive and 4GB RAM. I can't upgrade either till tax season.

I have four drives enclosures, one is Firewire 800 and the rest are USB 2.0. Replacing those to the 3.0 versions will take some time but I'm not in a hurry but I'll likely start after the New Year or maybe I'll get a multi bay box.

The speed improvements alone on this Mac are making me happy. I love this Mini.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Precisely. It is very fast!

No doubt it gave the Thunderbolt 2 development team a kick in the seat of the pants. :D

I think a real milestone was passed with the introduction of USB 3. It was one of the big remaining bottlenecks (for the average user).

The average consumer level machine now has fast boot drives (SSD, at least as an option), fast data transfer (USB 3 & TB), and ever faster internal buses. The bottlenecks are all opening up.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Miat wrote above:
[[ I think a real milestone was passed with the introduction of USB 3. It was one of the big remaining bottlenecks (for the average user). ]]

As nice as USB3 is, it may soon be eclipsed by the new USB3.1 standard.

Speaking of USB3.1, when is it set to be finalized (ready to be released on new computers)?

If it comes by early 2015, we may see the new Mini (assuming there might be one) as one of the first Macs with USB3.1 ...

dinfos

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
I'll get the 2012 if they don't update it by the time Yosemite comes out.

I second this. Although if they ever post refurbs again I will probably get one before Yosemite. The form factor and upgradability of the Mini is what wins for me over the iMac.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
I gave up waiting long ago and grabbed an old 2009 Mac Pro from work, sure USB3 is tricky relying on 3rd party cards, but with four fast swap drive bays to pull all but the boot SSD in and out of at will I've little need to resort to external hard disks in any case.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
With the new Intel M-core cpu's products hitting this coming holiday season.
Just maybe that is the hold on the new mini ?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Yeah the thread starter needs to be put in irons or something for suggesting it. (a joke not for real)
I gave up waiting for a new mini and built a beast pc with windows 7 weeks ago. It cost me under 1400 usd and pretty much is close to a nMP.
Apple forced me back to windows due to slow desktop upgrades then a nMP with dual gpu's for 3k. I have given up hope a long time ago and just am posting more out of loyalty to MacRumors then to minis.

The nMac Pro Was developed for pros that can pay for it in a few weeks worth of work.

I wish they would make the GPUs optional but that isn't going to happen.
For a fast, quiet 6-core i7 Extreme DAW PC build I'm looking at about $3000 but that eliminates a HD encloser which would be another $459 from OWC.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
The nMac Pro Was developed for pros that can pay for it in a few weeks worth of work.

I wish they would make the GPUs optional but that isn't going to happen.
For a fast, quiet 6-core i7 Extreme DAW PC build I'm looking at about $3000 but that eliminates a HD encloser which would be another $459 from OWC.

Or maybe a few days or hours or minutes of work. Some people make LOTS of $$$.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
At what point are you going to give up waiting for a new Mini… and just by an iMac?
Never, as I don't need a screen. However, as of three hours ago I gave up waiting for a Mac Mini and order parts for a Hack Mini; means I'll have to be careful with updates and compatibility, but I just don't see a Mac Mini coming before mid next year at the earliest now, and I can't wait that long.

I would get an iMac or a MacBook Pro since they have the processor option I want, but in both cases I'd be paying a significant premium for a screen I don't need. Plus the further premium for portability in the MacBook Pro's case, though I could potentially use it.

The reason I wanted a Mac Mini was so I could get an i7, slap in an SSD, and still come in under £1,000, but that's not possible with the iMac and MacBook Pro. While I can still do that with the current Mini the value just isn't good enough, meanwhile the Hack Mini I'm going for will have better specs, only be a tiny bit taller, will be quieter (silent even), will have two gigabit ethernet ports and two eSATA ports, and come in at £750 including a 500gb SSD. I don't mind paying a premium for Apple products (and to avoid the compatibility issues), especially if I would have got an Iris Pro processor into the bargain, but without that it's just not competitive IMO.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
At what point are you going to give up waiting for a new Mini and....

Last January! It's going on nine months since I bought mine. I suspect that it might be the last of its breed, should be OK for a couple more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.