Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
This happens to me a few times a day because Apple didn't want to add an extra 1gb of ram that would cost them a few dollars because it would eat into there profits on my $1000 phone, they could of at least added it to the 6+ model since there charging an extra $100 for more premium features like OIS, bigger battery, and higher PPI screen.

Example:

- I'll be trying to upload a video to YouTube or Instagram and I'll jump to my notes for a second to copy my "tags", when I go back to the video the whole app need to reload.

- I am filling out a form in Safari and need to get a phone number or address from my Contacts.app or a note from my Notes.app all the apps reload and I have to start all over again.

- Or I am reading a book in iBook and get a phone call, the whole app reloads when I go back to it, I lose what book I was reading, and sometimes it will take me back a few pages.

This is ridiculous. Not sure why they are advertising iOS with Multitasking support, surely with the past 7 iPhones they should of noticed the only way to fix this is with more ram, not sure why Apple is being so freaking stubborn.

And don't tell me its because of poor app coding, i have too many apps open, I'm using heavy apps like games, something is wrong from my backup, my iPhone is defective because i have had the phone replaced, and have not restored from a back up and still have the same problem, and this happens with any combination of apps.

It's one of the reasons I sold my iPad, hopefully the new iPad air 2 has 2gb so I can move over most of my workload on there and not have to worry about this.

And I know some troll is gonna say why do I fill out forms on my phone and not my computer, I thought the purpose of a smartphone was a alternative to a computer when one isn't available as people have said for years.

/End of rant

Edit: Forgot to add the phone also resprings a few times a day and according to the crash reports it's because of low memory.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's really not a crash as you posted, is a reload. Why not wait until the initial task is completed before moving on. I mean you know the ram is constrained for your usage habits so you need to adjust to accommodate.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
That's really not a crash as you posted, is a reload. Why not wait until the initial task is completed before moving on. I mean you know the ram is constrained for your usage habits so you need to adjust to accommodate.

Forgot to add it is a crash, the phone resprings a few times a day and according to the crash reports it's because of low memory.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I agree it's my biggest gripe with Apple iPhones, freakin Faccebook (I'm sure its coded **** though), its always reloading, google maps, the list goes on, man i wish there was 2Gb in the iPhone 6+

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Forgot to add it is a crash, the phone resprings a few times a day and according to the crash reports it's because of low memory.

Fair enough, but then as I mentioned change your usage habits because you cannot change the memory.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011

I am on an iPhone 6 and I am not doing any intensive multitasking, but my apps still keep reloading.

1) Open 3-4 apps.
2) Open Safari and loads 3-4 tabs.
3) Go back to the first app that I opened and it reloaded.

As what the mod says, I guess we just gotta change our multitasking habits and work around it for now. Such a disappointment from Apple tho.

However, I believe there maybe some memory hogging bug in Safari. It seems that the phone can't keep up with a few tabs open alongside with multitasking. And yes, my background music stutters on and off when the phone attempts to multitask.

Its a low memory situation and I believe some malicious app is RAM hogging. And yes, I have done the basic troubleshooting.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Fair enough, but then as I mentioned change your usage habits because you cannot change the memory.
paying 1K for a "micro-computer" and have to change your "usage habits" because Apple refuses to put in more ram?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am on an iPhone 6 and I am not doing any intensive multitasking, but my apps still keep reloading.

1) Open 3-4 apps.
2) Open Safari and loads 3-4 tabs.
3) Go back to the first app that I opened and it reloaded.

As what the mod says, I guess we just gotta change our multitasking habits and work around it for now. Such a disappointment from Apple tho.

However, I believe there maybe some memory hogging bug in Safari. It seems that the phone can't keep up with a few tabs open alongside with multitasking. And yes, my background music stutters on and off when the phone attempts to multitask.

Its a low memory situation and I believe some malicious app is RAM hogging. And yes, I have done the basic troubleshooting.

I am betting that even if they went to 2GB RAM you would STILL get the same reloading.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Welcome to 1gig of ram world that everyone refused to believe. Glad I'm skipping the 6's and staying with my 5.

NewVZcustomer

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Safari keeps reloading on me randomly, two tabs open and no other apps running. Brand new iPhone user, hopefully it's something that can be fixed with an update

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Safari keeps reloading on me randomly, two tabs open and no other apps running. Brand new iPhone user, hopefully it's something that can be fixed with an update

No other apps running? U closed all apps in multitasking and you got only safari 2x tabs open and it keeps reloading?

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
There was a great thread on reddit about this a few days ago.. essentially it's in the way the app developer codes their app.. they can force the app NOT to reload like that.. and in that scenario the RAM MAY be a limiting factor but what you're experiencing is an intended function.. and the problem is the app developers using the default setting instead of manually coding their app to hold the data and NOT refresh.

Now.. if it was done the way we wanted it.. who knows if RAM would become an issue but there are MANY devs on reddit applauding what apple is able to accomplish with 1 GB.. esentially they're saying even at 3GB ram this behaivor would remain because it's inherent to the coding..

and apple is far more memory efficient than android.. thats not to say more RAM wouldn't help.. and it WOULD be nice and I think we should have it.. but that's not the biggest issue here.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Yeah as a developer I have to echo blaming reloading on the RAM usage is a little suspect. It more likely has to do with the app design. I think everyone (including Apple) is going to need a few months to optimize their applications around iOS 8. There were a lot more changes "under-the-hood" with this upgrade compared to the last iOS 7.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah as a developer I have to echo blaming reloading on the RAM usage is a little suspect. It more likely has to do with the app design. I think everyone (including Apple) is going to need a few months to optimize their applications around iOS 8. There were a lot more changes "under-the-hood" with this upgrade compared to the last iOS 7.

This isn't new to ios 8. This has been happening for a long, long time.

The fact that apple has yet to address the safari issue either by paging tabs to flash storage or by not being cheap and adding more RAM is the only thing keeping me from buying an iphone right now. I'm more than likely going to wait and get a nexus 6, but I'll have to wait and see how it does.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
There really is no excuse for Apple not including at least 2GB of ram in at least the iPhone 6 Plus, but really it should be in all their mobile devices by now. Anyone defending Apple really has drunk the koolaid, - but oh well, I still prefer the user experience Apple offers even if they can frustrate me sometimes, and at least when they eventually come around they do usually get it right.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
There really is no excuse for Apple not including at least 2GB of ram in at least the iPhone 6 Plus, but really it should be in all their mobile devices by now. Anyone defending Apple really has drunk the koolaid, - but oh well, I still prefer the user experience Apple offers even if they can frustrate me sometimes, and at least when they eventually come around they do usually get it right.

That's my problem. I really really want the new iphone 6 plus but having experienced this ram issue on my 4s to a ridiculous extent and to continue experiencing it with my 4s makes me want to have no remnant of this issue in any new phone I have. It is by far the worst thing I have to say about this phone, even worse than battery life. And it doesn't seem like the 6 will be much better.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
That's my problem. I really really want the new iphone 6 plus but having experienced this ram issue on my 4s to a ridiculous extent and to continue experiencing it with my 4s makes me want to have no remnant of this issue in any new phone I have. It is by far the worst thing I have to say about this phone, even worse than battery life. And it doesn't seem like the 6 will be much better.

Well the 4S only has 512MB of ram, so you will actually be getting twice the ram either way. I've got to agree though, - it's probably one of the things that frustrates me most about iPhones now, all my apps and tabs constantly reloading ( wastes data, too ) especially since the battery life seems much improved on the + I'm going for.

Android phones are approaching 4GB of ram soon, that's something to chew on. :rolleyes:

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I love my iPhone 6 but there is no excuse for only giving it 1 Gig of Ram.
Ram is so cheap now and it would have made such a huge difference that one just can’t argue in favor of apples decision.

It’s just like when they sold the 1300$ MBP Retina with just 4 Gigs of non replaceable ram.

They just do it because they can.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Well the 4S only has 512MB of ram, so you will actually be getting twice the ram either way. I've got to agree though, - it's probably one of the things that frustrates me most about iPhones now, all my apps and tabs constantly reloading ( wastes data, too ) especially since the battery life seems much improved on the + I'm going for.

Android phones are approaching 4GB of ram soon, that's something to chew on. :rolleyes:

Sony has a phone already announced coming out early 2015 with 4gb and a couple others I can't think of have phones too.

But yeah I do only have 512 mb but my phone also has far less pixels to push, so the assets cached to the RAM are smaller. Probably doesn't make a gigantic difference though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.