Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I see lots of people here easily getting 12 hours or more from their 6+. I have screen brightness set to auto and have one push email account on. This is my third complete charge and I can't even get 9 hours. Still running IOS 8.1. I doubt that I have a faulty battery. So, what are you guys doing to get 12 hours out of your 6+? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 126

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I see lots of people here easily getting 12 hours or more from their 6+. I have screen brightness set to auto and have one push email account on. This is my third complete charge and I can't even get 9 hours. Still running IOS 8.1. I doubt that I have a faulty battery. So, what are you guys doing to get 12 hours out of your 6+? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Don't forget that playing music while the phone is locked is still counted as usage. I had two days of standby and 6+ hours of usage because I left the phone on airplane for those two days.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Try replacing google maps with Apple maps then resetting privacy and location and put on a white background.

See if that helps.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
8-10 hours battery is normal. Everyone's usage is different. Like the other guy said, having pandora on with screen off also counts in usage. Some people also don't use the device to it's potential, and really just use it as a phone. My normal usage with LTE and maps is about 8. If I'm on wifi and just browse safari, I can get up to 15 hours. So it's a big difference depending on apps and usage.

You can try depleting to 0%, then full charge to 100% once to recalibrate it.

Mojer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Try replacing google maps with Apple maps then resetting privacy and location and put on a white background.

See if that helps.

Why Should I use Apple Maps over Google Maps? Thanks

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

There is no reason. People here will give you good advice and bad advice. It is up to you to filter it.

You current battery life is not far out of ordinary. Apple's numbers are to be used only as a guide.

I am still trying to figure out how someone spends even just 8 hours on the phone. That is alot of your life sitting and playing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I get about 8 to 10 hours, as others stated, apps that use background processes will sap the battery more. I turn of LTE when I know I need to extend the battery life further. The LTE radio does consumer more power, so that's one way to help you get a longer life but at the expense of slower internet.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Improve the 6+ battery life?

Apple maps is native 64 bit. It will run in the background more efficiently than google maps can (complete rewrite vs adding support for 64 bit).
ips displays use less power when displaying white or a bright background
When conserving battery every bit helps.

"iOS is executing on a 64-bit device, iOS includes separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the system frameworks. When all apps running on the device are compiled for the 64-bit runtime, iOS never loads the 32-bit versions of those libraries, which means that the system uses less memory and launches apps more quickly, Apple explains. Because all of the built-in apps already support the 64-bit runtime, it is to everyone’s benefit that all apps running on 64-bit devices be compiled for the 64-bit runtime, especially apps that support background processing. Even apps that are not performance sensitive gain from this memory efficiency."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-ios-7-and-the-prospects-for-a-64-bit-android

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I am finding that I get about twice the battery life of any of my previous iPhones. In other words, I am also getting 8-10 hours. Almost all of my use is Safari on LTE, which is a relatively high drain. I am very happy with the increase!

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Also note that signal strength can have a dramatic effect on battery life. I have a weak cellular signal at work and it drains my battery much faster than it normally drains. I think it is due to the phone constantly searching for a better connection.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014

I set my brightness to auto and have it around 25% most of the day. No apps refreshing in the background. Only weather has location services all the time. I use wifi when I can and never turn off LTE to conserve battery. My phone has not been in airplane mode since I was on an airplane several weeks ago. I hardly ever stream music.

I got 9 hours of usage out of mine Friday/Saturday.

It frustrates me seeing people get 12+ hours usage and 2 days + standby time... my brain doesn't want to accept that they are doing something extra (or mostly streaming music) that isn't worth my time to try to get better battery life.

This is what normal usage looks like for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.PNG
    IMG_0555.PNG
    246.3 KB · Views: 75

MarkMissoula

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
Just got my 6+ a couple of days ago, replacing my 5 and the battery has so far been unbelievable.
8 hours usage
23 hours standby
still have 40 percent!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.