Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2010
What's to stop someone from buying a TV today (that will be on sale on Black Friday) and then getting a price adjustment on Friday to match the sale price?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's to stop someone from buying a TV today (that will be on sale on Black Friday) and then getting a price adjustment on Friday to match the sale price?

Typically the TVs that are heavily discounted are not on the floor for sale before black Friday. Plus they limit that sort of thing for purchase only during certain hours. Translation they'll not price match it.

Those things are usually loss leaders, i.e., offering a small inventory of product for a loss to get you into the store. They're not about to price match those.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

The store.

---

That said, I knew someone who--years ago--walked into an deserted Stapes that morning (instead of waiting in the line for Best Buy next door) and got a price match on the laptop Best Buy was offering that day only.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Can't do that anymore. Best Buy usually stops their price match policy just for this weekend.

And most of the door busters are "special" models with distinct model numbers. Only sold on Friday until they're gone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And most of the door busters are "special" models with distinct model numbers. Only sold on Friday until they're gone.
That and each store gets its own "special" model so you can't compare BestBuy to Costco (for those special loss leader products)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That and each store gets its own "special" model so you can't compare BestBuy to Costco (for those special loss leader products)

Yup. They're not dumb. Most of these special models are tailor-made for X retailer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tailor made for ignorant shoppers.

There was a time when you could enjoy steep discounts on a few products on black Friday. I got a PS3 a few years ago for a fraction of what it went for during the rest of the year.

From what I've seen, read and heard. Most black Friday sales are your typical sales. People are conditioned now to think they're getting huge deals when in fact they're not better then the store's regular sales through out the years.

True, you can find deals out there, but for the most part, its nothing special.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.