Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eperezf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Hi,

I have an early 2011 15' MBP with the original charger. It was working fine until it suddenly stopped charging. I tried different outlets and rotating the magsafe connector but there was no LED or charging.

I saw the connection between the MagSafe an the MBP and there was a burn pin that didn't go back to the original position. Also, the same place was burnt on the socket side. Now the mac will not charge at all. :(:(

Here are some pictures:
IMG_20141130_202300434-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20141130_202453301-1024x768.jpg

I have a few questions:
What could have caused the faliure? The cable was a bit frayed and fixed with tape.
Is it possible that the faliure was caused by the MagSafe section inside the Mac? That means i'll have to buy a replacement and charger.
Is it safe to use a spare 60W charger instead or it will also burn? I know it will charge only when it's off. At least to make a copy of my important files to work on another computer meanwhile.

The Mac kept running after i realized so at least the logic board is not dead (phew!)

Thanks for the advice! As it's my working Mac, I need it running as soon as possible!!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like magsafe connector on the MBP is now shot and I do believe that is soldered onto the logic board so the only way to repair this, is to replace the logic board.

As for the cause, I have no idea, a short and/or higher voltage then designed could be the cause but I'm not sure to be honest.

Bummers man :(

eperezf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I searched on ifixit and it's not soldered. I'll buy a replacement anyway and repair it just in case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.