Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
Am I missing the Buy/Sell/Trade forum? Is it hidden until a certain amount of posts? Or is there not one here?

If this forum doesn't have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum, where is the best place to go for one? I like forum buying and selling better than Craigslist or eBay. IMO it's better dealing with someone who is a member of your community than some random person.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Am I missing the Buy/Sell/Trade forum? Is it hidden until a certain amount of posts? Or is there not one here?

If this forum doesn't have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum, where is the best place to go for one? I like forum buying and selling better than Craigslist or eBay. IMO it's better dealing with someone who is a member of your community than some random person.
Can't Find or Access the Marketplace Forum?
Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months).

Stocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
I see. I could see why they would want that rule, but it sucks for me :(

I'm thinking about selling my new MBA, is there anywhere that you'd suggest?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I see. I could see why they would want that rule, but it sucks for me :(

I'm thinking about selling my new MBA, is there anywhere that you'd suggest?
The venues I hear about most are eBay and Craigslist. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but they appear to be most commonly used.

Stocks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
The venues I hear about most are eBay and Craigslist. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but they appear to be most commonly used.

I see.

If I get raped while trying to sell my laptop on Craigslist, I am going to be mighty angry :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I see.

If I get raped while trying to sell my laptop on Craigslist, I am going to be mighty angry :D
LOL! One good rule for using Craigslist is to meet in a public place and take a friend with you.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months).

I work hard meeting the required amount of posts, and then I find that out :mad:

:p

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I would suggest anyone be able to view the buy/sell/trade forum but prohibit posting until the requirements are met.

That would lead to deals being made via private messaging. I image that the forum administrators would never make sure a change.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
That would lead to deals being made via private messaging. I image that the forum administrators would never make sure a change.

Why would it be a problem to deal via private message? I would think the requirements exist to stop outsiders from spamming us,

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Probably based on trust. If you've been here a while then you have earnt a reputation and level of trust. As you can register for as many accounts as you like, what would stop a serial scammer from conning people under different user names?
I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Probably based on trust. If you've been here a while then you have earnt a reputation and level of trust. As you can register for as many accounts as you like, what would stop a serial scammer from conning people under different user names?

Exactly.

It seems to me that this (online & forum related) reputation and trust are acquired through people getting to know you from your posts, which means having built up a sufficient quantity of posts, and from having been around long enough for people to have some idea of who you are.

Hence, two criteria for membership of the market place, firstly, a certain number of posts, 250, (which implies continued membership of some time, and some sort of commitment to wishing to have an identifiable online character or reputation), and secondly, a time period of a minimum of six months.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Marketplace forum is not MacRumor's primary focus, its a nice benefit for members who wish to sell their used equipment. That being the case, the 250 post count requirement offers members the time to get to know a new member. There's no guarantee of course but as people take the time to get involved with MacRumors and the members it does offer some peace of mind.

As for viewing and not posting, that opens up the possibility of new members skirting the rules and possibly causing issues.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

I have over 1,000 posts to my name, an established reputation, and dedication to this forum. Quite a disappointment that I still can't access the Marketplace forum, while others with fewer posts and a lesser reputation can without issue.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have over 1,000 posts to my name, an established reputation, and dedication to this forum. Quite a disappointment that I still can't access the Marketplace forum, while others with fewer posts and a lesser reputation can without issue.

One element of reputation is of course being active in discussions, but the time element is also important. Six months isn't a particularly long period of time, but combined with the minimum number of posts, members have a reasonable way to get a feel for other members - before they consider doing business with them.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
One element of reputation is of course being active in discussions, but the time element is also important. Six months isn't a particularly long period of time, but combined with the minimum number of posts, members have a reasonable way to get a feel for other members - before they consider doing business with them.

I have been able to offer this in 4 months time, am I not correct?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have been able to offer this in 4 months time, am I not correct?

I'm not sure what you mean - that you've already provided a way for other members to get to know you, but in four months rather than six?

If I'm correct and that's what you meant, I can only say that our requirement for Marketplace access includes both a minimum number of posts and length of membership.

We never make exceptions to the Marketplace requirements in the interest of fairness to all members. This is true even for the members who pay to support our site.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
stupid question: what if i were to donate (like I would for the private forums)? would that allow me to view the buy/sell/trade forum?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
stupid question: what if i were to donate (like I would for the private forums)? would that allow me to view the buy/sell/trade forum?

No, that wouldn't alter any of the post count requirements, which include access to the Marketplace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.