Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
So today i was sitting in the kitchen charging my macbook air and my younger cousin runs through the kitchen hits my power cable macbook air hits the ground putting a huge dent on the bottom and now the bottom does not close completely

i seen some replacement bottom covers on eBay for $13 but if I replace it myself will that void my apple care or can I take it to apple and they replace it for free?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
What exactly does apple care cover then?

https://www.apple.com/support/products/

Because Apple designs the computer, the operating system, and many applications, the Mac is a truly integrated system. And only the AppleCare Protection Plan gives you one-stop service and support from Apple experts, so most issues can be resolved in a single call.

• Direct access to Apple experts
  • Global repair coverage
  • Onsite repair for desktop computers: Request that a technician come to your work site
  • Mail-in repair for portable computers and Apple displays: Mail in your Mac or Apple display using a prepaid shipping box provided by Apple
  • Carry-in repair: Take your Mac or Apple display to an Apple Retail Store or other Apple Authorized Service Provider

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appmacnaen.html

3. What is Covered?

3.1 Hardware Service

If during the Coverage Period, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that (i) a defect in materials and workmanship has arisen in the Covered Equipment, or (ii) the capacity of a covered iPod battery to hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications, Apple will either (a) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (b) exchange the Covered Equipment with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product. If Apple exchanges the Covered Equipment, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the replacement product is your property with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.

3.2 Covered Equipment

In addition to the Apple-branded product and accessories contained in the original packaging, “Covered Equipment” includes the following according to your Plan:

(i) Under APP for Mac, (a) one compatible Apple branded display if purchased at the same time as the Covered Equipment, (b) an Apple-branded mouse, Magic Trackpad, Apple Battery Charger and keyboard if included with the Covered Equipment (or purchased with a Mac mini), or (c) an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, Apple RAM modules and MacBook Air SuperDrive if used with the Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you no earlier than two years before the Covered Equipment purchase.
(ii) Under APP for Apple TV, an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule if used with the Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you no earlier than two years before the Covered Equipment purchase.

3.3 Technical Support

During the Coverage Period, Apple will provide you with access to telephone and web-based technical support resources. Technical support may include assistance with installation, launch, configuration, troubleshooting, and recovery (except for data recovery), including storing, retrieving, and managing files; interpreting system error messages; and determining when hardware service is required. Apple will provide support for the then-current version of the supported software, and the prior Major Release. For purposes of this section, "Major Release" means a significant version of software that is commercially released by Apple in a release number format such as "1.0" or "2.0" and which is not in beta or pre-release form. The scope of technical support provided to you will vary according to your Plan.

3.4 Scope of Technical Support

(i) Under APP for Mac, Apple will provide technical support for the Covered Equipment, Apple’s operating system software (“Mac OS”) and Apple-branded consumer applications pre-installed with the Covered Equipment (“Consumer Software”). Apple will also provide technical support using the graphical user interface for server administration and network management issues on Apple’s operating system server software (“Mac OS Server”) on a Mac.

(ii) Under APP for iPod, Apple will provide technical support for the Covered Equipment, iPod OS and software applications that are pre-installed with the Covered Equipment (both referred to as "iPod Software") and connectivity issues between the Covered Equipment and a “Supported Computer”, meaning a computer that meets the Covered Equipment’s connectivity specifications and runs an operating system that is supported by the Covered Equipment.

(iii) Under APP for Apple Display, Apple will provide technical support for the Covered Equipment and connectivity issues between the Covered Equipment and a Supported Computer.

(iv) Under APP for Apple TV, Apple will provide technical support for the Covered Equipment, software applications that are pre-installed with the Covered Equipment (“Apple TV Software”) and connectivity issues between the Covered Equipment, a Supported Computer and a “Supported Television”, meaning a television that meets the Covered Equipment’s connectivity specifications.

4. What is not Covered?

4.1 Hardware Service. The Plan does not apply to:

(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or the provision of equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced;

(ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);

(iii) Covered Equipment with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the written permission of the manufacturer;

(iv) Covered Equipment that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers Covered Equipment that is returned to Apple in its entirety;

(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports;

(vi) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

(vii) Preventative maintenance on the Covered Equipment; or

(viii) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product.

4.2 Technical Support. The Plan does not include:

(i) Issues that could be resolved by upgrading software to the then current version;

(ii) Your use of or modification to the Covered Equipment, the Mac OS, iPod Software, Apple TV Software or Consumer Software in a manner for which the Covered Equipment or software is not intended to be used or modified;

(iii) Third-party products or their effects on or interactions with the Covered Equipment, the Mac OS, Mac OS Server, iPod Software, Apple TV Software or Consumer Software;

(iv) Your use of a computer or operating system under APP for iPod that is unrelated to iPod Software or connectivity issues with the Covered Equipment;

(v) Your use of a computer or operating system under APP for Apple Display that is unrelated to connectivity issues with the Covered Equipment;

(vi) Your use of a computer or operating system under APP for Apple TV that is unrelated to Apple TV Software or connectivity issues with the Covered Equipment;

(vii) Apple software other than the Mac OS, Mac OS Server, iPod Software, Apple TV Software or Consumer Software as covered under the applicable Plan;

(viii) Mac OS software for servers, except when using the graphical user interface for server administration and network management issues on Mac OS Server on a Mac;

(ix) Mac OS software or any Apple-branded software designated as “beta”, “prerelease,” or “preview” or similarly labeled software;

(x) Third-party web browsers, email applications, and Internet service provider software, or the Mac OS configurations necessary for their use; or

(xi) Damage to, or loss of any software or data residing or recorded on the Covered Equipment. Recovery and reinstallation of software programs and user data are not covered under this Plan.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What exactly does apple care cover then?
Just to shorten that (tl;dr) last post to the essential points:
AppleCare covers replacement of parts that fail due to factory defect.
Accidental damage (flipping your MBAir to the floor, causing a "huge dent on the bottom") is not covered.
Apple will replace the bottom cover, but will charge you for parts and labor involved.
Point to think about: a "huge dent" may also cause damage to other parts under the dented cover, so it may be a good plan to have a service tech take a look inside to check that a replacement bottom cover will even fit now.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
Just to shorten that (tl;dr) last post to the essential points:

Apple will replace the bottom cover, but will charge you for parts and labor involved.
Point to think about: a "huge dent" may also cause damage to other parts under the dented cover, so it may be a good plan to have a service tech take a look inside to check that a replacement bottom cover will even fit now.

It will fit perfectly back on and the dent didn’t effect anything its just has an opening on the bottom don’t want anything to get in

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I think the serial number is engraved on the bottom case. Could be an issue in a subsequent warranty repair if there is a different serial number.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I think the serial number is engraved on the bottom case. Could be an issue in a subsequent warranty repair if there is a different serial number.

This.

Bottom cases from eBay/third parties are usually salvaged parts from Macs, hence they'll have the serial number of the original Mac.

Replacement bottom cases from Apple don't have a serial number engraved/stamped on the bottom. The repair guide instructs technicians to write the Mac's serial number on the inside of the bottom case with a permanent marker.

Personally I'd take it to Apple and get a quote on a new bottom case. If it's under AppleCare for a while longer then I'd rather pay the (I'm guessing, I don't recall them being too expensive) $100~ for a new bottom case that doesn't have another Mac's serial number engraved on it, instead of tossing another Mac's bottom case on it and having Apple potentially question that down the road.

Actually, now that I type that... Yeah, absolutely go that route. If I saw a MacBook Air come in with a serial number on the bottom case that didn't match the system's serial number I would consider that a big red flag. It wouldn't surprise me if future service was denied, or at least delayed, because of that. Considering there are no user-serviceable parts inside a MacBook Air any sign of opening it could be grounds for a warranty dispute.

So yeah, I'd pay for Apple to replace the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.