Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hey guys!

Finally getting around to setting up my 15" MBPS and loving it so far. A little bit of a learning curve being a Windows user all my life. Wanted a couple recommendations if you guys would be so kind...

• What's the best Anti-Virus to use? Being an xfinity/Comcast user, I get a free version of Norton Anti-Virus and I also got a free trial version of Trend Micro IS from Best Buy (not really interested I that one.)

• Are there any "must have" applications? I like to edit photography, so I was looking into Aperture...but what else is out there that may be better for photography or an app that's helpful in general?

• Is there a website out there that is good to use as a tutorial? Or for helpful hints?

Thanks guys!!

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
If you search this forum, you'll find numerous threads on the subject of antivirus. Short answer - unless you frequently visit port sites or the dark web, or run that inferior OS (Windows) under VM or Boot Camp, you don't need an antivirus. And don't waste your money on crapware like MacKeeper and such.

As to photo app's, don't waste your money on Aperture. It's being replaced by (along with iPhoto) Photos for Mac in April. If you're serious about photography, look at something like Lightroom or Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography program. There are other threads on alternate photo editors under the photography forum here.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
No antivirus software, just common sense and be vigilante with your admin password

As mentioned, Aperture is going away, so you might want to try:
Pixelmator, Photoshop Elements, Acorn

Oh, and please set up a backup strategy
Time Machine is simple and easy, and Carbon Copy Cloner will make a bootable backup
Storage space is always cheaper than data recovery

I find Dropbox, Evernote and Todoist to be essential for me

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
• Are there any "must have" applications? I like to edit photography, so I was looking into Aperture...but what else is out there that may be better for photography or an app that's helpful in general?

Check out the digital photography forum, there's a number of discussions of software, especially in light of Aperture's demise.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I think VLC is a must have for watching videos. As for the antivirus stuff, I can only echo what others have said... (and avoid MacKeeper like the plague!)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Not an anti-virus app, but there is something free called "AdwareMedic" that seems to be useful in getting rid of adware that gets "picked up" now and then...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
• What's the best Anti-Virus to use? Being an xfinity/Comcast user, I get a free version of Norton Anti-Virus and I also got a free trial version of Trend Micro IS from Best Buy (not really interested I that one.)
Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
• Is there a website out there that is good to use as a tutorial? Or for helpful hints?
Mac Basics
Switch Basics: On Windows, I used to...
Switch Basics: Migrate your Windows files to your Mac

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I recently switched from 20 years using Windows to the Mac. One of the first things I realized is that you really don't need an anti-virus. I'm sure there are times you could get a virus, but through normal activities, it's SUPER rare on a Mac.

For editing photos, I love Pixelmator. It's $30, but regularly goes on sale for $15. Also, check out Affinity Photo. It's in Beta right now and you can download it for free on their website. Of course, depending on how easy you want it, something like iPhoto may do just fine for you.

Must have for me after about 6 months of use are:
  • BetterSnapTool
  • Fantastical
  • iStat Menus
  • Alerts for Gmail

I have other must-haves, too, like Evernote, MS Office, Scrivener, etc, but none of them are Mac-specific, which is what I gather you're looking for.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
What about mail clients? Any that are better than what mac offers?

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
What about mail clients? Any that are better than what mac offers?
I get along fine with the included Mail. I initially installed and used outlook because that's what I was used to on windows but converted over after about a month. Main reason was Mail interfaces better with my contacts, which are pushed back and forth from my computers to iOS devices.

And, pixelmater is good stuff and worth the modest amount it costs. I'm also interested in seeing the replacement for Aperture. And for playing videos, you've got Quicktime and iTunes already. Plus, you can just single-click on any video file on your computer, hit the spacebar, and the video starts playing. (Spacebar on any selected file almost always opens up an associated internal viewer with, 9 times out of 10, is quite sufficient for casual review.)

i1280

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Duet display only requires an iPad and the included cable.
I have recently switched from an iPad 3 to iPad mini 2 and although functionality wise they're the same, the iPad Mini 2 has less lag. It was cool to show a friend a youtube video directly from the iPad from the Mac, without having to load up the app and wait.

The best part about it is that you can use the touch screen as mouse.

Matthew Barkle

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.