Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Just interested to hear about how people plan on toting the 12" rMB around with them, especially given how portable it will be. It doesn't make sense to carry it in a heavy backpack!

I've been wanting to get a day bag for the past year or so, so I think I'm going to do that. I've been looking at a few bags. I've just been using my rMBP in the laptop sleeve of my travel backpack.

I've seen that there a few sleeves/cases already up for pre-order from various places, which is pretty cool.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I'm currently using a drawstring backpack for my 15" rMBP. It fits nicely, but it's obvious that I'm either carrying a computer, or a baking pan. I'd probably still use the same bag if I do decide to get the new MacBook, or even just carry it by hand if Im not crying much else.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I'm currently using a drawstring backpack for my 15" rMBP. It fits nicely, but it's obvious that I'm either carrying a computer, or a baking pan. I'd probably still use the same bag if I do decide to get the new MacBook, or even just carry it by hand if Im not crying much else.

Which drawstring bag do you have? Might be the one I was looking at. I guess I never thought about how the shape of a laptop could easily shape a drawstring bag like that, but maybe it'd be less noticeable with the rMB...especially if you have it in a case? I was looking at some traditional day bags, but I have always liked the drawstring style.

----------

Agreed. Mine will go in my backpack. It will now weigh a little less!

Interestingly enough, I've never had a case for my rMBP. Just keep it in my travel backpack that has a neoprene laptop sleeve built-in. But my usage pattern is changing a little, hence my desire for a day bag.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Often though, I will just carry it by itself (maybe in a sleeve) when my family takes a trip (with my wife driving). I will just stuff it under the seat when I'm not using it or we are at our destination.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I use a sleeve for my MBA. The thinner the better. For this one I'll probably get a leather or faux-leather one, because they're thin, discreet and business-like. I don't really need shock protection.

The sleeve goes into my shoulder travel bag when I'm traveling. If I'm taking the MBA to work, I just put it (bare) in my work laptop's briefcase - it's small enough that it fits in there like a notepad would. Can't wait for the smaller charger, though !

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
th

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Which drawstring bag do you have? Might be the one I was looking at. I guess I never thought about how the shape of a laptop could easily shape a drawstring bag like that, but maybe it'd be less noticeable with the rMB...especially if you have it in a case? I was looking at some traditional day bags, but I have always liked the drawstring style.

Oh its just a generic one I got from my University, its coincidentally sized to fit a 15.4" laptop. And if you there is anything else in the bag (sometimes I will keep some spare clothes in there) it gives it a nice bulge to where the shape of the 15" macbook isnt so obviously a laptop. But I dont think the 12" would shape it much at all. So I do look forward to using it. Havent thought about any cases on them though, but either way I dont believe the rMB would be noticeable at all in there.

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
Some comments are funny, but I am actually interested in this thread.

I have a sleeve that fits my Macbook Pro 13'' snuggly so I can shove it down my backpack and not worry about it scratching. Thus, I want to buy one for the MB right away, I would cry if I scratched it soon after buying (especially, because I want to try it out and decide if I want to keep or return it)

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I'll finally be able to use my Crumpler Friday Nylon again, a very small shoulder bag. Although I'll mostly use my Basecamp backpack from the northface. The laptop itself will most likely be in one of the Joli Originals sleeves.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Oh its just a generic one I got from my University, its coincidentally sized to fit a 15.4" laptop. And if you there is anything else in the bag (sometimes I will keep some spare clothes in there) it gives it a nice bulge to where the shape of the 15" macbook isnt so obviously a laptop. But I dont think the 12" would shape it much at all. So I do look forward to using it. Havent thought about any cases on them though, but either way I dont believe the rMB would be noticeable at all in there.

Ah, OK. Yeah I guess the rMB is small enough to where it wouldn't shape the bag.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I`ll just find a decent sleeve for one of my very small rucksacks, usually a hydration pack (Decathlon BTWIN 500 6 litre capacity) as they are extremely durable, inconspicuous, have loads of pockets and compartments, I just remove the rubber bladder and junk it (some you can buy without the bladder).

hd_c45072cf68a54ea999fb7ef93de6590d.jpg

big_769264bcdc6c41e6a951ac23c5f5095f.jpg

Have used these hydration packs for several years (sans water) and they easily beat a lot of the purpose made rucksacks, thanks to the excellent industrial design. You just need to add your own padding (BTWIN 500 has some padding already), a quality sleeve is generally good enough, as you will be either using your Mac/Tablet or wearing it. People are frequently amazed a what I can carry in it; 11" MBA or Samsung 8.4 Tablet & keyboard, power pack, power-bank`s, cables & adaptors, MiFi, wireless drive, anti-slip mats, headphones, torch, emergency LED lights, safety Knife and even a BT speaker. I have another a little bigger and a 13" Retina fits just nice :)

Another aspect is no one expects a computer or Tablet to be in a bag like this which in some parts is a distinct advantage. I`ve had a few odd looks business meetings, equally I`m not paid for my taste in hand luggage, and sometimes the bag and it`s contents breaks the ice nicely :D

Q-6

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I use a sleeve for my MBA. The thinner the better. For this one I'll probably get a leather or faux-leather one, because they're thin, discreet and business-like. I don't really need shock protection.

The sleeve goes into my shoulder travel bag when I'm traveling. If I'm taking the MBA to work, I just put it (bare) in my work laptop's briefcase - it's small enough that it fits in there like a notepad would. Can't wait for the smaller charger, though !

If you find a good one please post the link. :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Clearly this was my first thought. LOL

----------

I`ll just find a decent sleeve for one of my very small rucksacks, usually a hydration pack (Decathlon BTWIN 500 6 litre capacity) as they are extremely durable, inconspicuous, have loads of pockets and compartments, I just remove the rubber bladder and junk it (some you can buy without the bladder).

Have used these hydration packs for several years (sans water) and they easily beat a lot of the purpose made rucksacks, thanks to the excellent industrial design. You just need to add your own padding (BTWIN 500 has some padding already), a quality sleeve is generally good enough, as you will be either using your Mac/Tablet or wearing it. People are frequently amazed a what I can carry in it; 11" MBA or Samsung 8.4 Tablet & keyboard, power pack, power-bank`s, cables & adaptors, MiFi, wireless drive, anti-slip mats, headphones, torch, emergency LED lights, safety Knife and even a BT speaker. I have another a little bigger and a 13" Retina fits just nice :)

Another aspect is no one expects a computer or Tablet to be in a bag like this which in some parts is a distinct advantage. I`ve had a few odd looks business meetings, equally I`m not paid for my taste in hand luggage, and sometimes the bag and it`s contents breaks the ice nicely :D

Q-6

Well that's just about the ugliest thing I ever dun seen.

----------

backpack, since I dont really have any other options...

Messenger bag, no case, sleeve, rolling bag, naked, hard shell. You don't have options? Goodness, do your parents force you to wear one type of outfit every day too? LOL

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.